Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cherokee looking for info

OSIYO brothers and sisters!

I am currently getting back in touch with my native roots. My whole life, it was never practiced in our family. Extremely americanized. Now I am learning the ways of this society are disgusting, and we must return to our native roots to be sustainable/healthy..

I am saving money to move and go live in nature. Hopefully at a reserve.

I would Really appreciate any information you guys have... I am looking for Native Americans that still practice Traditional methods! Growing our own foods, producing our own resources, building our own homes... I desperately want to find a community of people living like this. Really want to avoid the modernized areas with big houses/cars/cell towers etc.....

If a community like this still exists, Please someone connect me or give me info on it. This is the way of life for me. I will live it by myself if I have to , but would much rather find a community of like minded humans :)

Much love everyone!

I think you will find that modern european conviences such as horses and cloth and metal will creep in.

Comment

Hello

Comment

Originally posted by ches View Post
        I think you will find that modern european conviences such as horses and cloth and metal will creep in.
        OK Ches, I've got to go for a teachable moment. I'm not arguing with the spirit of what you said. We can't put the genie back in the bottle. But, I am going to nitpick the particulars.

Don't sell your ancestors short. The Old World didn't have a corner on fabrics or metalsmithing. Cotton, milkweed, cedar, bird feathers, llama wool, wild hemp, and a variety of other animal and plant fibers all were spun into yarn and woven into fabrics. Silver, gold, copper and iron (from meteorites) were all worked into tools and ornaments.

Please decolonize. You have a very Eurocentric view of the pre-contact Americas. I'm going to prescribe some reading:)

Jack Weatherford, Native Roots: How the Indians Enriched America; Ballantine Books, 1992.

Jack Weatherford, Indian Givers: How Native Americans Transformed the World; Ballantine Books, 1988.

Roxanne Dunbar-Ortiz, An Indigenous Peoples' History of the United States; Beacon Books, 2015.

Charles Mann, 1491: New Revelations of the Americas Before Columbus, Vintage Books, 2006.

Charles Mann, 1493: Uncovering the New World Columbus Created, Vintage Books, 2012.

Comment

Again

Once again I am sorry.
          Last edited by ches; 04-03-2019, 10:07 AM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Apology accepted, Captain Needa. *Sound of a limp body falling to the floor.*

Uhh nerd moment over.

You don't need to be sorry. You need to realize that you've been marinading in dominant culture perceptions of pre-contact Native America. The reality was more nuanced.

Look, you're dancing. You are dressing in Native clothes, moving to your people's music... You're stepping into the line of our people stretching from the past to today. You owe it to those coming up to know and to be able to present a decolonized version of your people's real history. It isn't your fault no one taught you, but it is your responsibility to learn. :)

Comment

It will take time and putting aside a lot. Maybe, I can get my reality bells to ringing.

Comment

Grrrrrrr........
                I believe blood quantums are the governments way to breed us out of existance !

They say blood is thicker than water ! Now maple syrup is thicker than blood , so are pancakes more important than family ?

There are "Elders" and there are "Olders". Being the second one doesn't make the first one true !

Somebody is out there somewhere, thinking of you and the impact you made in their life.
                It's not me....I think you're an idiot !

sigpic

There's a chance you might not like me ,

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care

Comment

Originally posted by wardancer View Post
                  Grrrrrrr........
                  I'm sorry. I didn't mean to upset folks.

Comment

It's not you and it has nothing to do with "teaching moments" ! Ignorant people out to save our culture pizz me off !

They say blood is thicker than water ! Now maple syrup is thicker than blood , so are pancakes more important than family ?

There are "Elders" and there are "Olders". Being the second one doesn't make the first one true !

Somebody is out there somewhere, thinking of you and the impact you made in their life.

sigpic

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care

Comment

Originally posted by wardancer View Post
                      It's not you and it has nothing to do with "teaching moments" ! Ignorant people out to save our culture pizz me off !
                      ches likes this

Comment

You sir , are the problem !

sigpic

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care

Comment

I will henceforth try to keep my mouth shut.

Comment

Greetings Solar Panel and all,
                            Speaking towards sustainability...
                            There are some good works happening both with in Indigenous communities and Outside of those as well.

Many movements centered around traditional foods with an emphasis on community growing and preparing.
                            The Oneida I think at some point would plow fields for people who wanted to plant and they also have a cannery for people who want to put away food for the winter.
                            There are Eco villages and Intentional communities that might be of interest as well.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.