Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dark Humor

Answers from a "helpline"

Caller: I feel lonely since my family and friends past away.

helpline: Go out then you will meet people.

Caller: Been out ever so often, does not happen, got no money to go in somewhere in order to meet anyone.

helpline: You don't always need money, go for walks, you will meet people.

Caller: ??? As if random people just would say, hey, I just waited for you to come around.

helpline: join some club, volunteer, or go and help refugees, there you will make new friends.

Caller: uhm.... I miss my family and my friends and I have no money, people are not into anyone like me, I noticed ever so often.

helpline: Are you seeing a doctor, therapist?

Caller: uhm... not anymore, they can't help me to make friends of course.

helpline: Well, I think you really should go and see a doctor again.

Caller: You are a helpline and I just would like you to talk with me about my feelings about the losses of my family and friends, just someone to talk to. No further help.

helpline: Go to the doctor and seek a therapist, and besides I like to finish the talk, others are waiting in line.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/a3IDUTUQJJg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I don't understand what the video was singing or saying. No subtitled.

As for the helpline between the operator and the distressed loner wanting company from helpline or other people. I am not getting it as this loner need to think positive and be positive with meeting people instead of feeling sorry for the loner himself or herself. Was that supposed to be a funny gag?
    Gegiibishedjig (Deaf Person)

Comment

Originally posted by DeafElderWoman View Post

I don't understand what the video was singing or saying. No subtitled.

As for the helpline between the operator and the distressed loner wanting company from helpline or other people. I am not getting it as this loner need to think positive and be positive with meeting people instead of feeling sorry for the loner himself or herself. Was that supposed to be a funny gag?
      It's just a video about a guy offering help to a girl but what that means is clear. What I mean is, when people offer help, they often don't give what the people ask for but instead help for what they should do. In this case the caller just asked for a person to talk with, conversation. So, what's missing would really be some kind of anonymous conversation circle about whatever they may need to talk about. The problem is, helplines expect people to call with problems, so all they can talk about is problems really, but there are lots of mainly older people that live isolated and have no one left in life to talk with about personal stuff. Things like, I have seen this or that or am interested in... what do you think about this or that or are you interested in (whatever)... just common conversation. Helplines mainly offer group activities and most in such groups are not feeling lonely as they still got friends or family in their lives they can conversate with about more personal stuff. Isolated lonely people miss the personal one-on-one talk, group talk they can have but it's never personal and if, they have lots of ears listening when they just want a friend to talk to and most people that still have family or friends only go to groups to have some EXTRA company and aren't really into making new friends. It maybe different in other countries but in a country where people are closed up in wanting to make new friends it's extreme difficult to find anyone for a close friendship that turns into private get togethers at private homes. It's easy to find whole groups. And then a person talks and then the whole group gives critics, when the person just wants to talk about a subject and not argue. It's always group activities, never the option to just talk with one other person alone like you may would with a family member or good friend, if you had any. Feeling sorry for themselves? What is wrong with wanting to talk to just ONE other person at a time? Why would a loner call a helpline for conversation? Because he tried for many years to find a person to build up a friendship with and those people weren't interested in getting closer because they got other things to do with the people they already have in life. There is a difference between being alone and having absolutely no one except group talk and being alone but having a friend or family he can call every now and then.

Comment

I didn't get the helpline thing either

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.