2009 PowWows.com Princess Nomination - walelaGA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2009 PowWows.com Princess Nomination - walelaGA

walelaGA is running for PowWows.com Princess.

Please post any questions or comments you have for her in this thread.

Voting for the Princess Contest will begin January 1, 2009.

To read more about the contest, please visit:
    http://www.powwows.com/gathering/pow...minations.html
    New to the site--Introduce Yourself

Find a Pow Wow Near You!

Thanks for entering our princess contest! We are excited to have another batch of great entries this year.

You've been a member of the site for quite some time, but only have a few posts. One of the responsibilities for the princess it to welcome new members and help them find their way on the site. With you having less than 20 posts will you be able to fulfill this duty?

In a typical year, what pow wows to you attend?
    New to the site--Introduce Yourself

Find a Pow Wow Near You!

Comment

I can absolutely fulfill this duty. I have been a member for quite some time and have learned to navigate the site pretty well. Yes I only have a few posts but I read the threads daily and I usually post on topics I feel passionate about. I have also posted videos in the Pow Wow TV area. I usually get to most of the powwows in the Southeastern part of the U.S. I try and make it to all the ones here in Cherokee, N.C. I also attend Gathering of Nations each year and I hope to make it to Red Earth and Schemitzun next year.

Originally posted by Paul G View Post
      Thanks for entering our princess contest! We are excited to have another batch of great entries this year.

You've been a member of the site for quite some time, but only have a few posts. One of the responsibilities for the princess it to welcome new members and help them find their way on the site. With you having less than 20 posts will you be able to fulfill this duty?

In a typical year, what pow wows to you attend?

Comment

congrats to you walelaGA for getting yourself in the contest for PowWows.com Princess

I would like to ask you a question:
        Who would consider your greatest mentor(s) and how did they help you in deciding to run for this honor?
        sigpic

Comment

I think that my greatest mentors would have to be my family and the people that I work for and with. My dad is a total inspiration to me. He has worked so hard in his life to achieve what he has. That is a quality I admire and that I work for. I think it is a quality that makes up a good representative. I am also inspired by the people I for. I work in substance abuse treatment and these people teach me so much about life and that makes me eternally grateful to them. The people I work with are constant reminders of our culture and traditions and they teach me to remember that each day. These are people that helped me decide to run for this honor and I hope I make them proud.

Originally posted by clk View Post
          congrats to you walelaGA for getting yourself in the contest for PowWows.com Princess

I would like to ask you a question:
          Who would consider your greatest mentor(s) and how did they help you in deciding to run for this honor?

Comment

Can you please post a pic in your outfit?
            ...it is what it is...

Comment

So how are you going to promote your Cherokee heritage when you are out on the PowWow Trail? I am also Eastern Band Cherokee but I live in WA state and no one around here is from our nation. When I tell people I am Cherokee, I get "the look" and it gets frustrating because no one really knows much about us. So that is my challenge to you if become Princess is to spread the word that not all Cherokees are "white wanna-be's"!

Comment

Congratulations on your princess nomination. What are your plans with regards to education?

Comment

Originally posted by wyo_rose View Post
                  I don't have all my beadwork finished yet but I will post some pics of the parts that are finished soon.

Comment

Originally posted by nascarboys3 View Post
                    So how are you going to promote your Cherokee heritage when you are out on the PowWow Trail? I am also Eastern Band Cherokee but I live in WA state and no one around here is from our nation. When I tell people I am Cherokee, I get "the look" and it gets frustrating because no one really knows much about us. So that is my challenge to you if become Princess is to spread the word that not all Cherokees are "white wanna-be's"!
                    This is a topic that has been much discussed on the threads here at powwows.com. I am very aware of the stigma that just the Cherokee name carries. My hope is that if I were to be elected I would be able to promote the Eastern Cherokee people and shed light on our traditions and who we are. I think that it is important that education starts at home. So knowing who you are and where you come from is a good jumping off point. And I hope that I can be a good role model as to the diversity of our Indian people.

Comment

Originally posted by 1KIOWA View Post
                      Congratulations on your princess nomination. What are your plans with regards to education?
                      I am currently working for the Eastern Band Cherokee Nation as an intern doing Substance Abuse Therapy. Part of what we do at our facility is use traditions to heal. I hope that I will be able to continue to do this kind of treatment for a long while. I would also like to travel to other Nations and get more involved in their traditions as treatment.

Comment

This is some of the beadwork but the rest isn't finished. Thanks to Barclay and Awanii!
                        Attached Files

Comment

HI walelaGA and congrats on running for princess

I personally need to post a clarification that walelaGA and walela49 are not the same person! lol

I've had a couple of customers congratulate me on running for princess....so just to clarify: walela49 is an ol' married woman with 2 kids and I'm NOT running for princess! lol

walelaGA is a sweet-young-thang, unmarried, no kids and walalaGA IS the one running for princess.

silly wabbit ;)
                          sigpic

See my trading post ads
                          See my photo gallery
                          See walela49's myspace page

Comment

Originally posted by walelaGA View Post
                            I don't have all my beadwork finished yet but I will post some pics of the parts that are finished soon.

I'd rather see a pic of you dancing, if you don't mind.
                            Last edited by wyo_rose; 01-02-2009, 01:43 PM.
                            ...it is what it is...

Comment

I'd rather see a pic of you dancing, if you don't mind.
                              I don't have too many yet so here are a couple. I am in the yellow.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X