Buying a Laptop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying a Laptop

We're gonna buy a new laptop. Anybody got a recommendation?? For the brand and type, that is.:p
    ...it is what it is...

I don't care for Mac's, they are only good for graphics etc. Go with a flat screen monitor, a pentium process, and a nice sized hard drive. If you need any help, email my brother at [email protected] com, and he can answer any questions that you may have. Tell him Angie sent you ;)

Comment

My personal favorite right now is the new Tablet from Compaq.

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/tabletpc/tc1000.html
      New to the site--Introduce Yourself

Find a Pow Wow Near You!

Comment

Minimun Requirements for 1 should be:

128 or 256 mb SDRam Memory
        40 gig hard drive or bigger
        CD Rom
        Floopy Drive
        1.2 or higher gHz clock Speed
        Pentium 4 or AMD Processor
        56K Fax Modem
        Networking Adaptor Board

The Compaq or Toshiba are good laptops. Sometimes you can find
        a manucatures reconditioned/refurbished unit at a good saving and still have a good warranty available.
        If you plan to travel a lot, then you want to definately make sure you have the networking adaptor board preinstalled. tis way you go somewhere and can't get a phone line hookup, you may be able to hook into a network system.Have seen prices starting around $800 and up depending on what all above the minimum above you added.

Comment

I would check out www.tigerdirect.com. They seem to have the cheapest prices. I got my laptop for college from them.

Comment

Definately stick to Pentium processors with speeds of 2.0 GHz or higher. Where I work at it has proven out that Pentiums kick the snot out of AMD's.

As far as RAM goes, nothing less than 256MB.

It is standard for most laptops to come with intergrated network interfaces. Wireless network capabilities is a plus, especially if you are at a facility with a wirless internet service provider.

Look for a hard drive of 40GB on up.

CD-RW/DVD-Rom drive, 56k modem, etc.

You can find something like this for as low as $1500.00, depending on the size of screen you want.

A few of our employees use Sony Vaios and Compaqs, both are solid machines, pretty much with everything I described.
            It is so sad that a family can torn apart by something as simple as a wild pack of dogs.

Comment

like tahemet - i go ask my brother too.
              he ordered me a dell laptop - came to about 1100.00
              but yeah i asked him the same things but made him order it, he says to go with dell. don't ask me why
              Well will wonders never cease.....

Comment

Originally posted by Pettus
                like tahemet - i go ask my brother too.
                he ordered me a dell laptop - came to about 1100.00
                but yeah i asked him the same things but made him order it, he says to go with dell. don't ask me why
                dude! she's got a dell! ;)
                The only time its too late to start dancing is when you're dead.

Comment

Thanks, all for the tips. My dream laptop would be the new Mac, the big widescreen one that would ROCK for dvds. But I can't afford it - over $3000!!!! And the satellite internet doesn't work with Macs.

Sony Vaio's look good, but they're kinda pricey too. That Compaq tablet blows my mind - I don't know what I'd do with it!:Chatter I like Toshiba stuff. I had a Toshiba phone for years and it didn't have any trouble until my dog chewed it up. Now I have to get a new phone every 6 months.

They sell Compaqs locally, so I'll go check them out. But reconditioned or refurbished sounds too scary for me. I wonder if they'd still be under warranty.
                  ...it is what it is...

Comment

The only time I take refurbished computer equipment, ususally is if I get it for free.

Lots of times, if it is recycled, it is old and has already been obsolete for a few years or more, or if it is newer, then the MoBo has problems.
                    It is so sad that a family can torn apart by something as simple as a wild pack of dogs.

Comment

Well, forget the refurbished junk! :p

I also gots to find one with both a floppy and a CDRW. (Or CD-RW/DVD)

Are manufacturers trying to get away from floppies altogether? I know they're unreliable, but my Sony camera saves to floppies.

My ex bought a computer with the switchable floppy drive and CD drive. Then lost the CD drive. I think he just gave the laptop away after that.
                      ...it is what it is...

Comment

On refurbished/reconditioned you have to be careful who you buy thru. 1 place I deal with quite a bit get what they call refurbished, cause they been recalled for problems with maybe a CD ROM, Hard Drive, etc., computers that haven't been on the market over 2 years, they replace the defective whatever, classify them as refurbished and still get the original warranty.

Main rule is know who you buying from and that they reputable. Less chances of headaches down thre road if you need technical help.

Comment

What's Pentium M? There's no speed listed for it. Is it a mystery chip? :p

The reputable place we deal with only sells ProStar laptops and I never heard of them. They got big screens but must be lined with lead!:Chatter
                          ...it is what it is...

Comment

Dude we're gettin' a Dell. :p

With a no-fault 3-year warranty. 14", Pentium M(?),256 MB, CDrw/DVD, modem/NIC/wireless, could only get a 20 GB HD. Oh well, free shipping!!
                            ...it is what it is...

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X