Hard Drive Troubles...HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard Drive Troubles...HELP!

Ok so here is my dilemna. I will try to explain it the best I can with my limited technical knowledge.

Ok so one day, I'm sitting there right, and for some odd reason, I had to shut down my PC. Well when I go to turn it back on, it tells me that the system.ini file is missing or corrupt. So I get all pissed and throw the tower out my second story window. Is there any hope to make it work again? AYE! JK....

Ok so the file is missing or corrupt--I get my greasy hooks on a Windows 2000 CD, I ummm don't know what happened to the licensed version that I had legally purchased :D , anyway, my PC won't read the CD drive.

WAIT! B4 you jump to conclusions, I have tried to set the BIOS to read the CD-rom first then other drives--no luck! So I ended up havng to build a crappy azz backup machine from spare parts cuz yall know I can't live without pws.com.

So anyways, all I really want from that old PC is my MP3's (1000's of them)and my pics (hundreds of them). If I set it to slave in my crappy machine, will I be able to access the data from NT? I don't know what the hell I was thinking installing NT (no USB support, no new MSN Messenger, etc). I was going to set up a lil network but I think 2000 will suffice for three PC's.

So I assume that sys.ini is a crucial Windows startup file, and my whole harddrive will not have to be formatted, or at least I hope not. :Cry

Oh please Computer Gods, I swear to use my burner for what it was made for if you just let me access that HD!!!!!

Ok any suggestions would be great!

:D
    Last edited by Jibby™; 07-04-2003, 10:25 AM.
    Got percap?

If you set it to slave and install another hard drive you should be able to see the other drive using Windows XP or 2000.

I've had to do this before!!
    New to the site--Introduce Yourself

Find a Pow Wow Near You!

Comment

Ah man, so that means I have to format the master (it has NT on it) and install 2000 or XP, and then I can read the corrupt drive?
      Got percap?

Comment

NT should be able to do it also.

Find a Pow Wow Near You!

Comment

Oh ok, cool. I will try tonight when I get home. Thanks for the help, Paul!
          Got percap?

Comment

Originally posted by ojibwe-kwe
            Oh ok, cool. I will try tonight when I get home. Thanks for the help, Paul!
            No problem, just PM me your address for billing.

Find a Pow Wow Near You!

Comment

And I'm answering for free ? Hmmmmm,let me see here:D

Something else you might try if you still have just the 1 hard drive only. If you have the boot up floopies for 2000 then start with #1 and go thru set of them and when it calls for CD install it in CD Rom. That way it should give youthe option to either format or just install 2000 and that should reinsatall whatever is missing.

That'll be $54.26. I'll send ya a bill the third Thursday of next week:D

Comment

Originally posted by ghostrider
                And I'm answering for free ? Hmmmmm,let me see here:D

Something else you might try if you still have just the 1 hard drive only. If you have the boot up floopies for 2000 then start with #1 and go thru set of them and when it calls for CD install it in CD Rom. That way it should give youthe option to either format or just install 2000 and that should reinsatall whatever is missing.

That'll be $54.26. I'll send ya a bill the third Thursday of next week:D
                Thanks for the info! Unfortunately, I don't have a floppy boot disk. I know the CD I have has boot files so I was hoping that would work:( . I'll ry to read it as a slave, copy all the data to CD and then format the sucka and reinstall.
                Got percap?

Comment

Originally posted by ojibwe-kwe
                  Thanks Unfortunately, I don't have a floppy. I know I have to slave the sucka and reinstall.
                  Excuse me!;) :p :D

Comment

So you DID catch my message huh? ;)
                    Got percap?

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X