Watching Powwows Livestream on your TV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watching Powwows Livestream on your TV

Hate the idea of sitting at your computer, huddling around a laptop, or squinting at the screen of a tablet to watch Powwows.com Live streaming videos?

With Gathering of Nations set to stream in a few days I thought I'd take a few moments to show you how to connect your mobile device to your flat screen TV so you and your family can enjoy the show. The best part is this is so simple anyone can do it and it only requires a cable and possibly an adapter of some kind. You can find just about every adapter or cable you will need for this at your local electronics store, Amazon.com or BHPhotoVideo.com

I will make a separate post for each device type. It's worth it to note here that each manufacturer is different and connecting to a TV does not always work for displaying video.

Lets start with the iPad Below I am showing the newer models with Lightning connector, however you can buy Apple Dock to HDMI adapters as well. I'm not sure how well this all works on the first and second generation iPads and iPhones.

What you will need:
    -Lightning to HDMI adapter
    -HDMI Cable

Set Up:
    -Plug the Lightning to HDMI connector into the port on the iPad
    -Plug the HDMI cable into the adapter and then into the TV
    -Optionally you can connect your charging cable into the aux Lightning port on the adapter so you don't run out of juice.

To Watch:
    -When I was testing this I opened up Livestream.com and viewed a random live stream. The embedded player on Powwows.com should work in the same way. You can hit the full screen button in the lower right hand corner to blow the image up and fill your screen. *If you keep the player in it's normal size and not full screen the iPad will only put out a small window on your TV instead of filling it.
    -Download the Livestream app from the App Store and then search for the event - ex "2014 Gathering Of Nations".

CAD diagram:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	iPadtoTV.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	2098640

Lightning to HDMI Adapter:

Name:	lightningHDMI.jpg
Size:	7.1 KB
ID:	2098638Click image for larger version

Name:	lightningHDMIside.jpg
Size:	10.3 KB
ID:	2098639

I pulled these adapter images from: Apple Lightning Digital AV Adapter MD826ZM/A B&H Photo Video
    Last edited by Toolbox; 04-22-2014, 04:39 PM.
    CERN may have discovered the Higgs Boson but...
    sigpic

Help Powwows.com provide better webcasts with wireless cameras by purchasing a decal for your car! We all know you love car decals, don't deny that you don't have them. This is you with a car decal -> http://www.powwows.com/2014/10/23/pow-wow-stickers/

Now I am going to show you how to set-up a tablet running Android or Windows 8 to watch these streams on your TV.

Some things to note. Since these tablets are made by a variety of manufacturers some may use a proprietary connector for power and or video output. If you have a tablet like that then you will need to search for an appropriate adapter or cable. In the set-up below I am showing a tablet that uses standard MicroUSB for power input and standard MicroHDMI for video output.

What you will need:
    -MicroHDMI to HDMI (full sized) cable or adapter.

The Set-Up
    -Connect the MicroHDMI cable from the tablet to your TV.
    -Optionally you can also plug in your power adapter so you don't run out of juice.

To Watch:
    -Download the Livestream app from the Google Play Store (Android only)
    -If you are using Windows then open up a browser and go to http://www.livestream.com and search for the event.

That's right, it's that simple. Typically the tablet will see the connection and switch it's display settings to show an image on the TV, however if it doesn't work you will need to dig through your settings on your tablet to adjust accordingly. Do a Google Search on how to adjust the display settings if you can't find them.

CAD Drawing:

Name:	TablettoTV.jpg
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	2094168
    Last edited by Toolbox; 04-22-2014, 12:59 PM.
    sigpic

Help Powwows.com provide better webcasts with wireless cameras by purchasing a decal for your car! We all know you love car decals, don't deny that you don't have them. This is you with a car decal -> http://www.powwows.com/2014/10/23/pow-wow-stickers/

Comment

*Reserved post for PC / MacBook*
      sigpic

Comment

Did you know that you can watch Powwows.com Live streams on your Roku? Well now you do.

This one is easy. If you already have a Roku then you should have it set up and running. All you need to do is go into the Channel Store and find the Livestream App and add it to your Roku - It's FREE! Once it downloads and installs, usually less than a minute, open it up and search for the name of the event - at this time it will be "2014 Gathering Of Nations".

This is how I will be watching it. Going to fish a new Ethernet cable for it today as the wireless is dodgy sometimes.
        Last edited by Toolbox; 04-23-2014, 09:47 AM.
        sigpic

Comment

I have a lightning to VGA adapter, but now I see it takes 2 lightning cables to connect this. Luckily the TV has a VGA input. Just got to find another lightning cable...these newfangled cables have the ability to grow legs and walk away!

Thanks for posting all these!
          ...it is what it is...

Comment

Thank You for this Great Post [MENTION=66121]Toolbox[/MENTION] That was very helpful and easily understandable. I will now be able to watch PowWows Live Stream on my TV:)))

Comment

Originally posted by wyo_rose View Post
              I have a lightning to VGA adapter, but now I see it takes 2 lightning cables to connect this. Luckily the TV has a VGA input. Just got to find another lightning cable...these newfangled cables have the ability to grow legs and walk away!

Thanks for posting all these!
              YW.

I was going to do one with Lightning to VGA but then it gets complicated because you also have to connect a 3.5mm cable for audio from the iPad to the TV as well.

One thing I forgot to mention is that for the older iOS devices you can buy a Apple Dock connector to HDMI and it works the same way. I will edit it now to add this.

As for the 2nd Lightning cable - I put that in there to show that you can still plug in the AC adapter to power the iPad while you're watching it.

At work we were loosing Apple adapters left and right because people would borrow them and never return them. We started taking people's ID cards until they returned the adapter.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jeanniebee View Post
                Thank You for this Great Post [MENTION=66121]Toolbox[/MENTION] That was very helpful and easily understandable. I will now be able to watch PowWows Live Stream on my TV:)))
                YW. Glad it it helps.
                sigpic

Comment

Toolbox you are a Genius!!
                  lisaironmaker

Comment

Oh, the SOUND!!! I didn't even think about that. Hopefully we can find a cable for that!!

Thanks!!
                    ...it is what it is...

Comment

Originally posted by wyo_rose View Post
                      Oh, the SOUND!!! I didn't even think about that. Hopefully we can find a cable for that!!

Thanks!!
                      You should be able to go out of your earphone jack. Need the adapter analog audio cable. Check to make sure you have female ends on the adapter cable if you want to extend the audio cable lengths.

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman

Comment

Hopefully GON will stream at 1GB!!! lol

Thanks, Toolbox!

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman

Comment

hey i want to jump right in here...post buncha big words...sound all smart...sheeeeeiiiiitttt

Comment

Originally posted by Joe's Dad View Post
                            You should be able to go out of your earphone jack. Need the adapter analog audio cable. Check to make sure you have female ends on the adapter cable if you want to extend the audio cable lengths.
                            Do I have female ends?
                            ...it is what it is...

Comment

Well, I could not find my cable for the reverse neutron pulsation filter.

Then I broke my megabyte incrementation distributor.

so, I got in my truck and drove over to GON, pretty good live view

And I saw Paul G & wife!
                              sigpic

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.