windows 10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• windows 10

Hey , have any of you folks upgraded from windows 7 to 10 ? My computer says it's compatible , but I'm not a techie ! Any opinions ?
    I believe blood quantums are the governments way to breed us out of existance !

They say blood is thicker than water ! Now maple syrup is thicker than blood , so are pancakes more important than family ?

There are "Elders" and there are "Olders". Being the second one doesn't make the first one true !

Somebody is out there somewhere, thinking of you and the impact you made in their life.
    It's not me....I think you're an idiot !

sigpic

There's a chance you might not like me ,

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care

Originally posted by wardancer View Post
    Hey , have any of you folks upgraded from windows 7 to 10 ? My computer says it's compatible , but I'm not a techie ! Any opinions ?
    It should be easy, just follow the instructions but W10 has it's flaws, I am no techie either but it shouldn't be too difficult.

Comment

I have Windows 10 on my tablet and its good but it's a heck of a lot different than Windows 7 in both looks and operation. I still use Windows 7 on my main computer at home and on my work PC because AutoCAD and some other specialty software I use doesn't play nicely with Windows 10 yet. We have officially rolled Windows 10 out at work, which is something they don't do unless it's fully stable, secure, and compatible with our enterprise systems.
      CERN may have discovered the Higgs Boson but...
      sigpic

Help Powwows.com provide better webcasts with wireless cameras by purchasing a decal for your car! We all know you love car decals, don't deny that you don't have them. This is you with a car decal -> http://www.powwows.com/2014/10/23/pow-wow-stickers/

Comment

I have Windows 8 on my home laptop and going to upgrade ASAP because W 10 takes so much less memory to run.

Although at work we still run Windows 7 and I love my old XP laptop and use it to crunch my spreadsheets.
        ...it is what it is...

Comment

Originally posted by Toolbox View Post
          I have Windows 10 on my tablet and its good but it's a heck of a lot different than Windows 7 in both looks and operation. I still use Windows 7 on my main computer at home and on my work PC because AutoCAD and some other specialty software I use doesn't play nicely with Windows 10 yet. We have officially rolled Windows 10 out at work, which is something they don't do unless it's fully stable, secure, and compatible with our enterprise systems.
          Yes , but did they upgrade from 7 to 10 or did they get new comps with 10 on them ? We just got eyes a new laptop with windows 10 on it. It's new and she's learning her way around it.
          I have a very nice desktop that I got last year. It has a 2.4 ghz processor and 8 gig of ram and windows upgrade says it's upgradable. From what I see of eyes new laptop it looks kinda o.k. and facing the inevitable is a matter of time......free upgrade before July or a new computer , that is the question !!! LOL Debating whether to reserve my upgrade or budget a new computer !

They say blood is thicker than water ! Now maple syrup is thicker than blood , so are pancakes more important than family ?

There are "Elders" and there are "Olders". Being the second one doesn't make the first one true !

Somebody is out there somewhere, thinking of you and the impact you made in their life.

sigpic

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care

Comment

They rolled it out to existing machines as well as new machines. The existing machines are no older than 4 years because we refresh machines around the time the extended warranties expire.

If your machine is only a year old and it does everything that you want it to do and doesn't have any issues then there's not much sense in replacing it. The computers of today aren't much better or fast than last year's models. The only the I would caution against when upgrading between Operating Systems is if you use any special software that you check with the vendor to make sure that the programs work under Windows 10.
            sigpic

Help Powwows.com provide better webcasts with wireless cameras by purchasing a decal for your car! We all know you love car decals, don't deny that you don't have them. This is you with a car decal -> http://www.powwows.com/2014/10/23/pow-wow-stickers/

Comment

I upgraded my laptop that is four years old from WIN 7 to WIN 10. Guess what? I didn't like the response time so I switched back to WIN 7. I think WIN 10 works better on hardware that it's optimized for. I plan on getting a different laptop that is geared for WIN 10 as time goes by, but for now, everything I need works fine on my old laptop with WIN 7.

Comment

Originally posted by xTekno View Post
                I upgraded my laptop that is four years old from WIN 7 to WIN 10. Guess what? I didn't like the response time so I switched back to WIN 7. I think WIN 10 works better on hardware that it's optimized for. I plan on getting a different laptop that is geared for WIN 10 as time goes by, but for now, everything I need works fine on my old laptop with WIN 7.
                How hard was it to switch it back ?

sigpic

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care

Comment

You pretty much have to reformat your drive and re-install Windows 7 from a disk or at least erase the Windows 10 partition and re-install from the recovery partition. All depends on how your system was set up. Don't forget to create "Recovery Media (discs..) if you haven't done so already that way you have a backup of your original system and Windows 7 that came with the PC.
                  sigpic

Comment

At the time, there was an option to revert back to WIN 7. I did and now's it back to the way it was before switching over. I don't know if the latest upgrades will allow you to do that. For me, it was just a matter of clicking a button and waiting for it to go back to WIN 7. But then I had to reinstall all new updates.

Comment

Straight from the horse's mouth:

Going back to Windows 7 or Windows 8.1
                      Applies to Windows 10

If it’s been less than a month since you upgraded to Windows 10, you can go back to your previous version of Windows by going to Settings > Update & security > Recovery and selecting either Go back to Windows 7 or Go back to Windows 8.1. This won't affect your personal files, but it will remove any apps you installed after the upgrade to Windows 10. Learn more.

If it’s been more than a month, this option won’t be available in Settings and you’ll need to use a different recovery option.

Going back to Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 - Windows Help -

Comment

How to downgrade Windows 10 after 30 days: ways to return to Windows 7 or 8 after Microsoft's rollback time limit.

When you upgrade to Windows 10, Microsoft lets you change your mind for 30 days. If you've changed your mind after this time limit, here are some ways to get back Windows 7 or 8.

How to downgrade Windows 10 after a month - How-To - PC Advisor

Comment

My son the techie is bugging me to upgrade, but I haven't yet. I've read a lot about how it automatically updates whether you want it to or not, how hard it is to turn off those updates and about the lack of privacy on 10. I'm still not convinced to do it, but will probably end up kicking, screaming and upgrading at some point. I like my Windows7.

Here's a link to a tech site with a lot of good info about all operating systems, and a lot of freebie stuff, too. I get their newsletter, and have found all kinds of interesting free stuff on there. http://www.techsupportalert.com/
                          Last edited by subeeds; 04-14-2016, 02:12 AM.
                          Take nothing for granted. Life can change irrevocably in a heartbeat.

I will not feed the troll-well, I will try.

Comment

If I had W7, I would stick with it. The laptop I got 3 years ago had the first version of W8 and it sucked big time, upgraded to 8.1 and it locks up all the time.

I tried to revert to factory settings and inadvertently erased the whole hard drive. It didn't come with a CD, so I had to order one from Toshiba for $40!!! Under protest!!

So hopefully it gets here soon and I can get back on W8, then upgrade to W10 and hope for the best...and make my own recovery CD!!
                            ...it is what it is...

Comment

O.K. I upgraded to windows 10 and so far(knock on wood) no issues. Still finding my way around. Any opinions on Windows Defender ? Better or worse than Norton 360 ? Right now I have both , but defender wants to override norton.

sigpic

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.