Medal of Honor for Wounded Knee?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Medal of Honor for Wounded Knee?

"The President, in the name of Congress, has awarded more than 3,400 Medals of Honor to our nation's bravest Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, Marines, and Coast Guardsmen since the decoration's creation in 1861."

Among these citations are 14 medals of honor to participants who massacred Indians at Wounded Knee. Is there any honor in this?

I am wanting to get points of view from Indians currently in the army as well and Indian veterans.

Many medals of honor are given "posthumously" to families of deceased veterans.

Can these medals posthumously be revoked if the medal winner received their honor by unprovoked attacks retreating and UNARMED women and children?

What do you think?
    Last edited by WhoMe; 12-03-2004, 12:12 PM.
    Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

There was no honor in awarding those 14 awards... I know several men who earned that award...and knew what they done to deserve it... and you can't compare real heroism.... to a cover up by the army to justify a slaughter of innocents..period
    Last edited by Peacekeeper83; 12-02-2004, 01:00 PM.
    sigpicWe spend a lifetime worrying about if we make a difference....Marines don't have that problem.

Comment

True!!!!

Originally posted by Peacekeeper83
      There was no honor in awarding those 14 awards... I know several men who earned that award...and knew what they done to deserve it... and you can't compare real heroism.... to a cover up by the army to justify a slaughter of innocents..period
      Peacekeeper83, That says it all very eloquently! thanks for posting,
      C

Comment

Medals of Honor were awarded to soldiers who participated in
        two other similar slaughters; at Sappa Creek in 1875, and at
        Big Hole in 1877. The latter attack was unsuccessful; the
        Nez Perce drove the soldiers away--but not before they had
        killed between 60 and 90 people, half of them women and
        children. Their excuse? They claimed they were under orders
        to "take no prisoners". (I.e. kill them all little and big--nits
        make lice.....)
        alamosaurus

Comment

It is very unfortunate that history is being written by the “victorious winners of the battle”, it is always the ones “lost that battle” that are at the unfavorable end of the stick. Wounded Knee was seen as a “victory” for the history makers thus the “brave men of the military” who slaughtered men, women and children should be decelerated for their slaughter, NOT. But when the history makers are at the other end of the stick it is called massacre, for example Battle of the Little Bighorn. Custer and his men were massacred by the Big Bad Indians. I don’t think that history writers will ever get things right, history will always written by the victorious. But who will end up on the top anyway?
          www.myspace.com/dakota_giftedgal

Comment

Medals of honor were awarded for participation in several
            similar massacres; Wounded Knee was not the only one:
            Sappa Creek in 1875 was another example.
            alamosaurus

Comment

Killing of Innocents

It is sad unfortunate truth that many are given honors for the killing of the innocent.....but has anything changed.....are the military still giving honors for killing of innocents?
              www.myspace.com/dakota_giftedgal

Comment

Here are some of the "HEROES" and what they did.

AUSTIN, WILLIAM G.

Rank and organization: Sergeant, Company E, 7th U.S. Cavalry. Place and date: At Wounded Knee Creek, S. Dak., 29 December 1890. Entered service at: New York, N.Y. Birth: Galveston, Tex. Date of issue: 27 June 1891. Citation: While the Indians were concealed in a ravine, assisted men on the skirmish line, directing their fire, etc., and using every effort to dislodge the enemy.

CLANCY, JOHN E.

Rank and organization: Musician, Company E, 1st U.S. Artillery. Place and date: At Wounded Knee Creek, S. Dak., 29 December 1890. Entered service at: ------. Birth: New York, N.Y. Date of issue 23 January 1892. Citation: Twice voluntarily rescued wounded comrades under fire of the enemy.

GRESHAM, JOHN C.

Rank and organization: First Lieutenant, 7th U.S. Cavalry. Place and date: At Wounded Knee Creek, S. Dak., 29 December 1890. Entered service at: Lancaster Courthouse, Va. Birth: Virginia. Date of issue: 26 March 1895. Citation: Voluntarily led a party into a ravine to dislodge Sioux Indians concealed therein. He was wounded during this action.

HARTZOG, JOSHIJA B.

Rank and organization: Private, Company E, 1st U.S. Artillery. Place and date: At Wounded Knee Creek, S. Dak., 29 December 1890. Entered service at: ------. Birth: Paulding County, Ohio, Date of issue: 24 March 1891. Citation: Went to the rescue of the commanding officer who had fallen severely wounded, picked him up, and carried him out of range of the hostile guns.

HAWTHORNE, HARRY L.

Rank and organization: Second Lieutenant, 2d U S. Artillery. Place and date: At Wounded Knee Creek, S. Dak., 29 December 1890. Entered service at: Kentucky. Born: 1860, Minnesota. Date of issue: 1 1 October 1892. Citation: Distinguished conduct in battle with hostile Indians .

McMlLLAN, ALBERT W.

Rank and organization: Sergeant, Company E, 7th U.S. Cavalry. Place and date: At Wounded Knee Creek, S. Dak., 29 December 1890. Entered service at: Baltimore, Md. Birth: Baltimore, Md. Date of issue: 23 June 1891. Citation: While engaged with Indians concealed in a ravine, he assisted the men on the skirmish line, directed their fire, encouraged them by example, and used every effort to dislodge the enemy.

SEE THEM ALL HERE--- http://www.army.mil/cmh-pg/mohind.htm
                There are 2 types of people in the world...
                Really stupid people who think they are smart
                and
                Really smart people who think they are smart.

Comment

Hoo-ray for all these courageous men........dislodging a bunch of hostiles.......good job soldiers!!!

LOL!!!! Anyway, nothing they did still accounts for recieving an actual Medal of Honor.........
                  sigpic

...And shephards we shall be. For thee my lord, for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand. That our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee. And teeming with souls shall it ever be. E Nomini Patri, E Fili, E Spiritu Sancti.

Comment

I remember reading about how the 7th Calvary was pretty pissed about Little Big Horn. So thats why they took out on these Ndns. Plus the Nez Perce in 1877 made them look like fools in the newspapers back in the day.
                    sigpic
                    R.I.P. my Bros from the 1st MAR DIV, 3rd MAR DIV, 25th I.D., 10th MTN DIV, V Corps, 170th IBCT who gave their lives in the Cold War, Marines we lost in Korea during Team Spirit '89 & Okinawa '89- bodies never recovered, Panama, 1st Gulf War, Somalia, Afghanistan, Iraq...

Comment

I once read a history of the Medal of Honor. At one point an entire Civil War regiment received it just for reenlisting. Also a Civil War veterans' group, I can't remember the name of it at this time, issued "facsimiles" with their information on it. Anyway long story short, a massive review of the MOH recepients was done some time between 1880- 1920 to make sure the aaward was merited. Also, someone designed the current MOH, I believe he actually earned it but not sure, COPYRIGHTED the design to prevent imitations, and gave the rights to the government.

Anyway to answer the question, can it be revoked, the answer is YES,but it probably won't happen.

Comment

ya know, I have looked at this thread fer a bit now.. and all i can come up with is Hmmmm SIK!!!!

HONOR??? LMAO yeah Ooookay... If thats honor I hate to see what they define courage as...

Seems this day and Age one has to be a total Fuk up to be recognized...Disregard greater contributions and hard work & let all the Dumbies have the glory and make the decisions. I tell ya this world is in BIG trouble

excuse my language but this issue turns me the wrong way.

~~~ Never look down on anybody unless you're helping them up. ~~~

Comment

warriors and honor

I think we as NDNS have had a highly developed sense of honor all through the generations. Look at the coup system of battle honors and you know what I'm talking about. For those of us who belong to warrior societies, we have a very special appreciation for personal honor. Many NDNS who came back from different conflicts displayed this honor and never received any medals to show for it. Yet we come back with a deep personal knowledge that we did what we needed to do and in many cases did not want any attention. To survive was often enough. Let them have their medals, true warriors know what real honor is all about.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X