Dixie Chicks Banned?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dixie Chicks Banned?!

I'm not really a fan of these gals but i came across this article (IT'S SHORT TRUST ME, I KNOW I POST LONG ARTICLES).

What do you think of the lead singers comments & what do you think of the reactions here in the U.S.?

Personally, i'm kinda caught in the middle, i don't understand why they'd boycott them for what she said, but at the same time, we've been facing war............YOUR THOUGHTS?

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...natalie_maines

~Buckskinz
    *BE EASY*

i think that she had the right to say what she did. that is why we fight for this country. it's called the freedom of speech.

Comment

EXACTLY!

I agree w/you, i didn't understand why they took it so personal, but afterall texas is a republican state & they will back thier own.....pretty crazy stuff!
      *BE EASY*

Comment

we should not ban someone for their opinions. what is this country coming to

Comment

I'm for the boycott! What a dang silly thing to say while in the midst of facing war!
          Hockey is soul food.

Comment

but they have the right to speak their opinion, no body boycotted the singers that sang songs in the vietnam era, or talked bad about those presidents

Comment

Come on Chica, What about the actors/actresses that say (and or do) crap we don't agree with. Should their movies not be in theatres or on tv?? They have a right to say what they want. If I say something at work someone doesn't like I don't think that is grounds to fire me! (if so I would have been fired a looonnng time ago);)
              Becky B.

Comment

Oh hell, if that's how it goes.. I wouldn't be working either! I talk trash about my PM all the time. :Chatter He's not the brightest of the bunch but I wouldn't go telling a London audience that!

I just thought it was completely disrespectful of her to be making comments like that while facing this war business! She's entitled to her opinion though

Maybe the dixie chicks aren't all that great to listen to anyway, maybe that's why they were being boycotted! :p
                Hockey is soul food.

Comment

Well - to a point yes.

But I think that in some cases people hide behind the whole freedom of speech thing.
                  Yes, parents should monitor what their kids do more closely, but the TV Networks, Movie Studios, and Radio Stations do have a responsibility as well. If they had put there foot down and decided not to air some of the crap that is out htere, then it would make the parents job a little easier.
                  For example - Kudos to Wal-Mart for refusing to sell anything with explicit lyrics.

It is a free country, but just like she freely expressed her opinion about the war/president, other people are freely expressing there choice to not listen to them or buy there CD's. And it's those same people who listen to the radio stations that create the business for the advertisers on the stations.

Right now - the sentiment is more in support of the troops, because they are made up mostly by volunteers. I heard somwhere that 60% of the forces are Reserves or Guard.
                  This is unlike Veitnam, when the majority of the troops were drafted and forced to serve by the government.
                  Last edited by Dawg Stylez; 03-17-2003, 02:43 PM.
                  J~Dawg - the one and only!!!
                  In NDN Paradise!!!

Comment

It is. My guard unit is over there already.

But I don't support the war or Bush! I voted for GORE!
                    The only time its too late to start dancing is when you're dead.

Comment

Can't say I supported either one back when the election happened - I voted Green Party! Go Nader!!

J~Dawg - the one and only!!!
                      In NDN Paradise!!!

Comment

:rofl2: whatever!!
                        Hockey is soul food.

Comment

I figured Nader didn't stand a chance so I voted for a party other than Bush that did. :(
                          The only time its too late to start dancing is when you're dead.

Comment

Oops, my bad J~Dawg :o Go Nader then! :Chatter
                            Hockey is soul food.

Comment

First of all, whether any of us agrees or disagrees with what a celebrity says is completely irrelevant. The radio and TV stations are private companies and as such, they also have an inalienable right NOT to do business with people they feel inclined not to represent, for any reason or no reason.

The "Freedom of Speech" argument is valid only against the Goverment. The Constitution guarantees certain rights against GOVERNMENT oppression. This has nothing to do with private industry.

One thing people should consider being careful of, is using comparative statements in a reckless, spur-of-the-moment urge to insult an individual. This "lead singer" wants to insult George W. then fine, but she worded it in a way that insulted everyone in Texas just because they are from Texas. Our society can survive without pop artists, I'd like to see all of those rich little prima donnas go starving in the streets. George, too, just to be "fair". :devil :devil :devil
                              "Friends don't let friends drink decaf..."
                              Wakalapi's $49 unlimited phone service www.49deal.com

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X