Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

National food franchises coming to a base near you...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• National food franchises coming to a base near you...

Bases embrace national chains
    By Karen Jowers
    [email protected] ytimes.com
    Fancy a juicy prime rib at Out­back Steakhouse? How about a stack of hot buttermilk flapjacks at International House of Pan­cakes? A heaping plate of nachos at Chili’s?
    Soldiers may soon get all that and more without leaving their installations.
    A contract for a Chili’s restaurant at Fort Hood, Texas, has been sub­mitted for review to the Defense Department, said William Bradner, spokesman for the Army’s Family and MWR Command.
    And the Army’s third Huddle House restaurant is scheduled to open at Fort Benning, Ga., in De­cember, he said, following the opening of other Huddle Houses at Fort Polk, La., in 2007 and Fort Gordon, Ga., in 2004.
    The Marine Corps has a Ro­mano’s Macaroni Grill restaurant at Camp Butler, Okinawa, but has no plans to expand its roster of ca­sual dining facilities, said Bryan Driver, spokesman for Marine Corps Personal and Family Readi­ness Division.
    The Air Force has several name­brand restaurants overseas, and more are coming, said spokesman Kenny Pruitt.
    There are Chili’s restaurants at Osan Air Base and Kadena Air Base, and one being built at Yokota Air Base. Ramstein Air Base in Germany has a Romano’s Maca­roni Grill.
    More potential sites are being explored, and Pruitt said Air Force officials will look at other options for offering airmen “new and inno­vative casual dining.” Navy officials did not respond to questions by press time.
    The Army issued a solicitation for proposals for name-brand casu­al dining restaurants on a larger scale, with the idea of bringing “a little bit of home” to soldiers and their families, said Ronald Heuer, chief acquisition officer for Army Nonappropriated Fund Contract­ing, during a briefing at the Amer­ican Logistics Association confer­ence Oct. 22.
    According to the Army’s solicita­tion, the goal is to bring nationally known restaurants on post “to meet the increasing demand for food and beverage sit-down dining concepts for soldiers and their families, and other authorized pa­trons,” Bradner said.
    The Army plans to open these full-service restaurants on more than 20 installations. The Family and MWR Command an­ticipates awarding one or more contracts.
    Officials are performing site vis­its around the Army, Heuer said, looking at places where prospec­tive restaurant owners either could build a facility or take over an existing facility.
    He said the response has been encouraging, with interest from Outback, Chili’s, IHOP, Denny’s, Macaroni Grill and about a dozen other name-brand casual dining restaurants. Ë

SHEILA VEMMER/S TAFF
    While the Burger King at Balad Air Base, Iraq, is a popular option for chow, the military is looking to add more-upscale restaurants to bases around the world.
    </SPAN>
    sigpic

...And shephards we shall be. For thee my lord, for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand. That our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee. And teeming with souls shall it ever be. E Nomini Patri, E Fili, E Spiritu Sancti.

I saw a Chili's in Qatar...and a Subway, and BK...this was on my 4 day R n R back in early 2004 from OEF.

While my stay in OEF, I didn't see any fastfood place...it was either MRE, or eating local food.

Of course, OIF is different...there was a sorry *** BK. and Popeyes, Subway, and a Pizza Inn @ Camp Victory.
    sigpic
    R.I.P. my Bros from the 1st MAR DIV, 3rd MAR DIV, 25th I.D., 10th MTN DIV, V Corps, 170th IBCT who gave their lives in the Cold War, Marines we lost in Korea during Team Spirit '89 & Okinawa '89- bodies never recovered, Panama, 1st Gulf War, Somalia, Afghanistan, Iraq...

Comment

Deleted
      Last edited by Kaina1128; 11-14-2018, 08:16 PM. Reason: Deleted

Comment

Its all contracted by that that branch of the service. You will not see a McDonalds on an Army base...but you will see it at a Marine base, and BK on an Army base. I saw a Dunkin Donuts in Korea back in 1989 on a Marine base. We just called it Drunkin Donuts, cause at nite you could go there and drink beer and watch tv. fun drunkin times in Korea...plus they served korean food and well, donuts.
        sigpic
        R.I.P. my Bros from the 1st MAR DIV, 3rd MAR DIV, 25th I.D., 10th MTN DIV, V Corps, 170th IBCT who gave their lives in the Cold War, Marines we lost in Korea during Team Spirit '89 & Okinawa '89- bodies never recovered, Panama, 1st Gulf War, Somalia, Afghanistan, Iraq...

Comment

In Phase 1 OIF, we went to Camp Commando and got BK and Pizza Hut.....LOL!!!....it was hella lot better then eating MRE's everyday....LOL!!!!
          sigpic

...And shephards we shall be. For thee my lord, for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand. That our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee. And teeming with souls shall it ever be. E Nomini Patri, E Fili, E Spiritu Sancti.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X