Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pearl Harbor Day

"Sunday Dec 7th 1941 a date that will live in infamy"

I once sailed past the USS Arizona Memorial on-board the USS Kitty Hawk. It is protocol for a ship carrying an admiral to be saluted by any other ship by lowering their flag. With one exception, when a ship passes the USS Arizona it is granted a salute. We manned the rails in full dress uniform and at precisely 0800 we past the memorial...
    It was the most somber site I have ever seen with the exception of ground zero. NO one was talking it was deathly quiet as we past by, I will always remember how quiet it was as we were given the command to salute. You could hear colors being played on-board the Memorial as the color guard raised the Flag. It was like everybody took a breath and held it then as we sailed past and onto our berth and onto liberty after a long cruise.
    Lest we forget...
    ᎠᏂᎩᏚᏩᎩ - Anigiduwagi
    Till I Die!

I remember floating past it twice...it is a very somber feeling, I took a tour to the site and looked into the hull.....it was wierd, half expected to see a ghost or something......but yeah, it's crazy, and if you look down the water, you can see quite a few bits and pieces of other ships....
    sigpic

...And shephards we shall be. For thee my lord, for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand. That our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee. And teeming with souls shall it ever be. E Nomini Patri, E Fili, E Spiritu Sancti.

Comment

sigpic

...And shephards we shall be. For thee my lord, for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand. That our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee. And teeming with souls shall it ever be. E Nomini Patri, E Fili, E Spiritu Sancti.

Comment

Did my re-up ceremony there at the AZ Memorial... we had a group of former P.O.W.s from WW II with there as well to pay their respects at the Memorial. Very somber indeed.
        sigpic
        R.I.P. my Bros from the 1st MAR DIV, 3rd MAR DIV, 25th I.D., 10th MTN DIV, V Corps, 170th IBCT who gave their lives in the Cold War, Marines we lost in Korea during Team Spirit '89 & Okinawa '89- bodies never recovered, Panama, 1st Gulf War, Somalia, Afghanistan, Iraq...

Comment

aboard the USS Tuscaloosa aka the tunaboat we got the thee bestest opportunity ever to lower the USS Arizona flag at sunset. it is right up there in thee best moments of my life. i read the walls the listened to the heroic stories and only then had i understood what i was lookin at.

when pearl harbor the movie came out my favorite scene was when cuba gooding jr totally manned up the guns and took on the jap planes. thats about as close i can connect the people, what i felt, and the movie.

we pulled in some december after some anniversary and it was just us the 15th MEU and the tuscalooosa being thee smallest ship ever docked up close to the memorial.

Pulling into K bay we had to man the rails and so we got ready early and watched for awhile from the bridge. on the port side of the ship two three killer whales?? haha rode beside us. i didnt even really pay attention i looked through the mist at the mountains and this island. that was my introduction to hawaii
          thanks dad for showing me the way, teaching me the language, and not leaving my mother...*L*

*RoUg3 MoD sTaTuS*

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X