NA man at Iwo Jima Flag-raising

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NA man at Iwo Jima Flag-raising

Somone once told me that one of the men who raised the flag at Iwo Jima was a Native American man.
    Does anyone know his name?
    (I was also told that the flag-raising at Iwo Jima happened twice. That soon after the first time, they were told to take it down, and then raise it a second time, to pose for the now famous photo.)
    I'm not responsible for my actions, I just do what the voices tell me to do.

Yep, his name was Ira Hayes from Arizona he's Pima from the Gila River Indian Reservation but yeah I heard there were two raisings also. Google his name and you can find more info.
    Last edited by lisak; 02-20-2009, 01:54 AM. Reason: correction

Comment

Originally posted by Bodica View Post
      Somone once told me that one of the men who raised the flag at Iwo Jima was a Native American man.
      Does anyone know his name?
      (I was also told that the flag-raising at Iwo Jima happened twice. That soon after the first time, they were told to take it down, and then raise it a second time, to pose for the now famous photo.)
      His name was Ira Hayes. And the second time was to raise a bigger flag, It wasnot posed.

Comment

The man was indeed Ira Hayes, and they did indeed raise the flag 2 times! Stop any Marine anywhere and they will gladly tell you and anyone else is the general vicinity the entire story. Or just watch the movie Flags of our Fathers. I get my info from the jarhead, my husband and my Dad(degree in Military history with an emphasis WWII) who are both military men.

It was not posed for the picture. It was not for a bigger flag. It was so that the Marines could keep a Navy admiral from getting the original one. The admiral apparently wanted it for his very own, and there was not a Marine on the island that was going to stand for that. A photographer who was with them when they (28th Regiment of the 5th Marine Division Easy Company)stormed the hill ( Mt Suribachi)and took it from the Japanese was there at the second raising and took the picture. Many different Marine Divisions took part in the fight for Iwo Jima, some approximatly 11,000 men, and over 500 ships. If I am not misqouting my experts, I think that it was the 3rd, 4th and 5th Marine divisions.

By the way Ira Hayes' story is a sad one.

Hug a Marine they provide the freedom that we sleep under!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
        Last edited by steelemagnolia63; 02-20-2009, 05:48 PM.
        Thankful for the blessing from the Creator in my life!!!!

Life should not be measured by the number of things that we aquire on our journey but by the number of lives that we touch along that road.

I am a bridge on the red path between my ancestors and the future. I am a bridge between my white heritage and my native heritage. A bridge joins two sides together and provides a way to move on..... A.K. O'Pry-Reynolds

Comment

Don't miss the movie!!

It really helps you understand Ira Hayes' point of view. Survivor's guilt is devastating.
          ...it is what it is...

Comment

Ira Hayes was a great man that was devastated by survivor's guilt. His story is so sad and everytime I hear it I am moved to gut wrenching tears. The pain that this man carried for the years after WWII until his death in I believe 1955. I think that this wounded warrior suffered more than most of us can imagine.

One can only pray that the Creator granted him peace and a well done faithful soldier when he crossed over....
            Thankful for the blessing from the Creator in my life!!!!

Life should not be measured by the number of things that we aquire on our journey but by the number of lives that we touch along that road.

I am a bridge on the red path between my ancestors and the future. I am a bridge between my white heritage and my native heritage. A bridge joins two sides together and provides a way to move on..... A.K. O'Pry-Reynolds

Comment

Thank you, everyone.
              I also heard that Ira Hayes, like many soldiers, came home with PTSS, but that the military wouldn't give him the care he needed, or a proper millitary pension.
              And that becasuse of this, he, like many other vets, became an alchoholic, and died in poverty.
              Has he ever gotten the reccognition that he deserves?
              A monument or anything?
              Are there any statues of him on any Pima reservations?
              I believe that the Pima are a pretty large Nation.
              I'm not responsible for my actions, I just do what the voices tell me to do.

Comment

dang man.....you just found out about this!?!?!?....and you're Native????......what the hell is PTSS????.......you must not be in the military or are taking your media assumptions to a forum full of vets......I say this because you don't know jack s*** about what you're talking about........alcoholic my azz..........like someone said earlier, Google his name and you'll find out more on him......
                sigpic

...And shephards we shall be. For thee my lord, for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand. That our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee. And teeming with souls shall it ever be. E Nomini Patri, E Fili, E Spiritu Sancti.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X