• Show
Clear All
  • Ndnsoldierboy
    It is useless to resist.
    • Oct 2004

Christian A. Brown

Silver Star

Awarded for actions during the Global War on Terror

The President of the United States of America takes pleasure in presenting the Silver Star to Corporal Christian A. Brown, United States Marine Corps, for conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity in action against the enemy while serving as Squad Leader, 1st Squad, 2d Platoon, Weapons Company, First Battalion, Sixth Marines, Regimental Combat Team 8, SECOND Marine Division (Forward), II Marine Expeditionary Force (Forward), Afghanistan on 7 December 2011 in support of Operation ENDURING FREEDOM. While conducting a contact patrol in Azan, Kajaki District, the squad came under intense fire from multiple hardened insurgent positions of a numerically superior force. Lance Corporal Brown immediately directed fire onto the insurgents, coordinated with an adjacent unit, established a base of fire, and assisted in the development of a plan to maneuver on the insurgent positions. With insurgent fire intensifying, Lance Corporal Brown decided to displace the machine gunner and designated marksman. During their movement, the marksman was hit in the head from a burst of insurgent fire and critically wounded. Lance Corporal Brown immediately radioed in the medical evacuation request and led his squad under fire to a hasty landing zone. With the helicopter taking fire and unable to land, he identified an alternate landing zone 400 meters away and coordinated with the medical helicopter to extract the urgent casualty. After establishing a support by fire position, he personally carried the casualty under heavy fire the final 300 meters to the alternate landing zone. Without regard for his own safety, he safely evacuated the casualty, consolidated his squad, and responded to the insurgent attack until the fire ceased. By his bold leadership, wise judgment, and complete dedication to duty, Lance Corporal Brown reflected great credit upon him and upheld the highest traditions of the Marine Corps and the United States Naval Service.

Action Date: December 7, 2011

Service: Marine Corps

Company: Weapons Company

Battalion: 1st Battalion

Regiment: 6th Marines

Division: 2d Marine Division
    sigpic
    R.I.P. my Bros from the 1st MAR DIV, 3rd MAR DIV, 25th I.D., 10th MTN DIV, V Corps, 170th IBCT who gave their lives in the Cold War, Marines we lost in Korea during Team Spirit '89 & Okinawa '89- bodies never recovered, Panama, 1st Gulf War, Somalia, Afghanistan, Iraq...

Comment

• Ndnsoldierboy
      It is useless to resist.
      • Oct 2004

Norfolk commander: Fallen pier sentry's actions 'heroic'

Thank you for your selfless service and God Bless you.

NORFOLK, VA. — The sailor who was fatally shot Monday while trying to stop a civilian gunman has been identified as Master-at-Arms 2nd Class Mark Mayo, who put himself in harm’s way to save a shipmate, the Navy confirmed Wednesday.

Officials said Mayo, 24, who was serving as the chief of the guard Monday night, rushed from his post after seeing a civilian storm the destroyer Mahan and struggle with the ship’s petty officer of the watch, in the process stripping the watchstander’s weapon. Mayo ran to the quarterdeck and placed himself between the civilian — who was “behaving erratically,” according to a Navy news release issued Wednesday — and the Mahan‘s petty officer of the watch. Mayo’s actions shielded the POOW from the civilian’s gunshot; the civilian, a trucker with base access, was later killed by the Mahan’s topside rover.

“Petty Officer Mayo’s actions on Monday evening were nothing less than heroic. He selflessly gave his own life to ensure the safety of the Sailors on board USS Mahan,” said Capt. Robert Clark Jr., the commanding officer of Naval Station Norfolk, said in a Wednesday statement. “Petty Officer Mayo’s family has endured a tremendous loss, as have the men and women of Naval Station Norfolk, in the loss of a shipmate and friend.”

Adm. Bill Gortney, the head of Fleet Forces Command, on Wednesday appointed Rear Adm. Jeffrey Harley to lead an investigation into the circumstances surrounding the deadly shooting. Harley is president of the Board of Inspection and Survey.

“Our thoughts and prayers go out to the family, friends and shipmates of our sailor who was killed Monday night,” Gortney said. “I have directed a second investigation to be conducted in addition to the law enforcement investigation led by Naval Criminal Investigative Service.”

The second investigation will be convened under the Manual of the Judge Advocate General. It will be a comprehensive examination into the circumstances surrounding the shooting, to include a review of applicable policy, programs and implementation, the Navy said in a release.

The male civilian gained access to Naval Station Norfolk with proper credentials while driving a tractor-trailer onto the base Monday and then gained access to Pier 1, which has a watchstander who checks IDs.

Mayo, a Hagerstown, Md., native, enlisted in the Navy in October 2007 and reported to Naval Station Norfolk in May 2011, according to Navy personnel records. He had been advanced to MA2 on June 16, 2012. He had previously served in at Rota, Spain, and Bahrain.

His awards include the Good Conduct Award, National Defense Service Medal, Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal, Global War on Terrorism Service Medal and Navy Marine Corps Overseas Ribbon.
      Attached Files
      sigpic
      R.I.P. my Bros from the 1st MAR DIV, 3rd MAR DIV, 25th I.D., 10th MTN DIV, V Corps, 170th IBCT who gave their lives in the Cold War, Marines we lost in Korea during Team Spirit '89 & Okinawa '89- bodies never recovered, Panama, 1st Gulf War, Somalia, Afghanistan, Iraq...

Comment

• Ndnsoldierboy
        It is useless to resist.
        • Oct 2004

Decorated CSM dies from Afghanistan wounds

The senior enlisted soldier for 2nd Battalion, 5th Infantry Regiment has died from wounds suffered in Afghanistan, the Defense Department announced Thursday.

Command Sgt. Maj. Martin Barreras, 49, of Tucson, Arizona, died Tuesday at San Antonio Military Medical Center in Texas. He died from wounds suffered on May 6 in Herat province, Afghanistan, when enemy forces attacked his unit with small arms fire, according to information released by DoD.

Barreras became the top enlisted soldier for 2nd Battalion in March 2013. The unit is part of 3rd Brigade Combat Team, 1st Armored Division at Fort Bliss, Texas.

Elements of 2nd Battalion deployed to Afghanistan in December, according to information from the 1st Armored Division.

“Command Sgt. Maj. Barreras was my friend and battle buddy,” said Lt. Col. Edward Brady, the battalion commander, in a statement. “I’ve spent more time with him than my wife since I’ve taken command. I believe that I was the luckiest battalion commander in the Army to have him as my command sergeant major.

“While every soldier in this formation is extremely saddened by his loss, his Bobcats are doing exactly what he would expect of us: continuing on with the mission and taking the fight to the enemy. This man would do absolutely anything and everything to ensure his soldiers came home safely.”

Barreras joined the Army in 1988 after serving in the Marine Corps for five years, according to information from the division.

He served for 22 years in the 75th Ranger Regiment, serving in 1st and 2nd Battalions, the Special Troops Battalion and the regimental headquarters.

In the Ranger Regiment, Barreras served in virtually every enlisted duty and leadership position and completed multiple combat deployments to Iraq and Afghanistan, as well as Operation Just Cause in Panama, Operation Restore/Uphold Democracy in Haiti, and other special operations contingency missions.

Following his time with the Ranger Regiment, Barreras was the command sergeant major of the U.S. Army Marksmanship Unit.

His awards include the Legion of Merit, Bronze Star Medal with V device, Bronze Star with three oak leaf clusters, Purple Heart with one oak leaf cluster, Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters, Joint Service Commendation Medal with one oak leaf cluster, Iraqi Campaign Medal with three stars, Afghanistan Campaign Medal with four stars, Combat Infantryman Badge with one star, Expert Infantryman Badge, Ranger Tab, Master Parachutist Badge with bronze star, Military Freefall Badge and Pathfinder Badge.

Barreras is survived by his parents and two brothers, his wife, three children and three grandchildren.

Rest in Peace...
        sigpic

Comment

• Ndnsoldierboy
          It is useless to resist.
          • Oct 2004

MARSOC Marine killed in Afghanistan to receive Navy Cross

Thanks for your service Leatherneck...Semper Fi.

A MARSOC gunnery sergeant who died leading an assault on insurgents in Afghanistan in 2012 will be awarded the military’s second-highest honor next week.

The family of Gunnery Sgt. Jonathan Gifford, of 2nd Marine Special Operations Battalion, out of Camp Lejeune, N.C., will receive his Navy Cross June 17 at a ceremony held at MARSOC headquarters aboard Lejeune.

Gifford, 34, of Palm Bay, Fla., had been a team chief with Special Operations Task Force West deployed to Bagdhis province, Afghanistan, at the time of the assault. During a morning patrol on July 29, 2012, he saw three of the Afghan special operations commandos he was advising hit by enemy small arms fire.

Immediately, he got behind the wheel of an all terrain vehicle, roaring across 800 meters of ground unprotected to come to the aid of the wounded commandos. With the help of another Marine, he performed first aid on the Afghan soldiers and moved them to a landing zone so a helicopter could extract them for medical care. Then, he crossed back over the same open terrain to help the other Afghan commandos in the unit, who were now under enemy fire.

During the attack he led, he took out an insurgent who was firing from a window and climbed a building housing enemy fighters, dropping a grenade down the chimney. He kept pressing the attack until he fell mortally wounded by the enemy, according to his medal citation.

A former force reconnaissance Marine, Gifford had completed nearly 15 years of service at the time of his death.

Assistant Commandant of the Marine Corps Gen. John “Jay” Paxton will present the award to the fallen Marine’s family.

Gifford was one of two Marines killed that day in Bagdhis. Gunnery Sgt. Daniel Price, 27, of Holland, Mich., also a MARSOC operator, was killed during the same mission.
          sigpic

Comment

• Ndnsoldierboy
            It is useless to resist.
            • Oct 2004

Medal of Honor

The President of the United States of America takes pleasure in presenting the Medal of Honor to Staff Sergeant Clinton L. Romesha, United States Army. Staff Sergeant Romesha distinguished himself by acts of gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty while serving as a Section Leader with Bravo Troop, 3d Squadron, 61st Cavalry Regiment, 4th Brigade Combat Team, 4th Infantry Division, during combat operations against an armed enemy at Combat Outpost Keating, Kamdesh District, Nuristan Province, Afghanistan on October 3, 2009. On that morning, Staff Sergeant Romesha and his comrades awakened to an attack by an estimated 300 enemy fighters occupying the high ground on all four sides of the complex, employing concentrated fire from recoilless rifles, rocket propelled grenades, anti-aircraft machine guns, mortars and small arms fire. Staff Sergeant Romesha moved uncovered under intense enemy fire to conduct a reconnaissance of the battlefield and seek reinforcements from the barracks before returning to action with the support of an assistant gunner. Staff Sergeant Romesha took out an enemy machine gun team and, while engaging a second, the generator he was using for cover was struck by a rocket-propelled grenade, inflicting him with shrapnel wounds. Undeterred by his injuries, Staff Sergeant Romesha continued to fight and upon the arrival of another soldier to aid him and the assistant gunner, he again rushed through the exposed avenue to assemble additional soldiers. Staff Sergeant Romesha then mobilized a five-man team and returned to the fight equipped with a sniper rifle. With complete disregard for his own safety, Staff Sergeant Romesha continually exposed himself to heavy enemy fire, as he moved confidently about the battlefield engaging and destroying multiple enemy targets, including three Taliban fighters who had breached the combat outpost's perimeter. While orchestrating a successful plan to secure and reinforce key points of the battlefield, Staff Sergeant Romesha maintained radio communication with the tactical operations center. As the enemy forces attacked with even greater ferocity, unleashing a barrage of rocket-propelled grenades and recoilless rifle rounds, Staff Sergeant Romesha identified the point of attack and directed air support to destroy over 30 enemy fighters. After receiving reports that seriously injured Soldiers were at a distant battle position, Staff Sergeant Romesha and his team provided covering fire to allow the injured Soldiers to safely reach the aid station. Upon receipt of orders to proceed to the next objective, his team pushed forward 100 meters under overwhelming enemy fire to recover and prevent the enemy fighters from taking the bodies of their fallen comrades. Staff Sergeant Romesha's heroic actions throughout the day-long battle were critical in suppressing an enemy that had far greater numbers. His extraordinary efforts gave Bravo Troop the opportunity to regroup, reorganize and prepare for the counterattack that allowed the Troop to account for its personnel and secure Combat Outpost Keating. Staff Sergeant Romesha's discipline and extraordinary heroism above and beyond the call of duty reflect great credit upon himself, Bravo Troop, 3d Squadron, 61st Cavalry Regiment, 4th Brigade Combat Team, 4th Infantry Division and the United States Army.
            Action Date: October 3, 2009

Service: Army

Company: Troop B

Battalion: 3d Squadron

Regiment: 61st Cavalry Regiment, 4th Brigade Combat Team

Division: 4th Infantry Division
            sigpic

Comment

• Ndnsoldierboy
              It is useless to resist.
              • Oct 2004

Thank you for your service James Hayden.

POW from Korea finally receives his decorations

Nearly six years after earning a Silver Star during close combat in Germany at the close of World War II, James Hayden found himself surrounded by Chinese forces in Korea along with about 150 fellow soldiers.

“Different units had somehow got there,” said Hayden, a sergeant first class at the time. “We fought all night. Next day, when it came daylight, they started picking us off one at a time.

“There was a lieutenant colonel from 2nd Engineer Battalion, and he said, ‘We can’t take this. We’re surrounded. ... The best thing we can do is just hope for the best.’ ”

The men surrendered on Dec. 1, 1950. Hayden would remain in captivity until Sept. 5, 1953, coming home with severe skeletal problems brought on by malnutrition — ailments that would lead to his medical retirement nine years later as a master sergeant.

It’s a personal timeline of heroism, sacrifice and determination — and it skipped about six decades before the Army presented Hayden with the recognition he’d earned.

The 88-year-old received a Prisoner of War Medal and a Korean War Service Medal on Sept. 3 at Joint Base Lewis-McChord, Washington, in a ceremony presided over by Maj. Gen. Terry Ferrell, commander of 7th Infantry Division. The medals came as a result of years of work on Hayden’s behalf by friends, family members and finally lawmakers, who were able to refile lost records and compile the necessary paperwork.

“We started going through the different steps to figure out how to help him, and we were told the family wasn’t very successful,” said Washington state Rep. Linda Kochmar, whose husband was a pilot based out of McChord Air Force Base and flew in Vietnam. “We were just thrilled to be able to help this man, and his family, realize the fruits of what he did to protect his country.”

As for the Silver Star, Hayden said during the ceremony that it had been mailed to his address of record instead of presented to him, and that he’d never actually received it.

Making such a comment in the presence of a general officer has its advantages — a Silver Star was procured in less time than it takes to get a pizza delivered, and another presentation was made about 30 minutes after the first wrapped up, according to an Army news release on the event.

“I didn’t expect this,” Hayden said of the ceremony, according to the release. “I didn’t ask for any of it.”

Born in 1925, Hayden left Fancy Farm, Kentucky, for the Army in 1944. A year later, then-Sgt. Hayden was near Bechingen, Germany, with A Company, 254th Infantry Regiment, 63rd Infantry Division, looking for Germans in a tunnel. He found them.

“The enemy ... threw a grenade at him and damaged his weapon by rifle fire,” according to his Silver Star citation. “After securing another rifle, he re-entered the tunnel. In the ensuing battle, he single-handedly killed two, wounded four, and captured twelve prisoners.”

A leg wound weeks later would end his World War II service and earn him a Purple Heart, according to the release.

He returned to combat in Korea and would eventually be taken prisoner along with many others who would not survive.

“I don’t know what percentage died, but a lot of them,” Hayden said. “I took them over to be buried, but we didn’t have so much as a toothpick. ... We never had a shovel, a pick, nothing.”

After nearly a year in an Army hospital, Hayden had no thoughts of leaving service.

“I didn’t have anything better to do,” he said. He switched to the medical field, according to the release, and stayed in until 1962.

“To see that man ... and to hear what he did, it’s so amazing,” said Kochmar. “They are our heroes, from so many years ago, and then to have them forgotten, for me is very emotional.”
              sigpic

Comment

• Ndnsoldierboy
                It is useless to resist.
                • Oct 2004

Navy and Marine Corps Medal

The President of the United States of America takes pleasure in presenting the Navy and Marine Corps Medal to Petty Officer Third Class Charles C. Carolus, United States Navy, for heroism while serving as Senior Line Corpsman, Company C, Second Light Armored Reconnaissance Battalion, SECOND Marine Division (Forward), II Marine Expeditionary Force (Forward), Afghanistan on 28 September 2011 in support of Operation ENDURING FREEDOM. During an aerial interdiction operation with elements of Marine Light Attack Helicopter Squadron TWO HUNDRED SIXTY-NINE, an AH-1W Helicopter crashed on takeoff. Upon being alerted of the incident, Petty Officer Carolus immediately responded from an adjacent helicopter and sprinted 75 yards to the crash site. Demonstrating gallantry and unwavering courage, he willingly and unhesitatingly exposed himself to imminent lethal hazards from fire, noxious fumes, and a potential conflagration from spilled fuel and live ordnance. While under constant peril from the fire, he provided medical aid to a severely wounded Marine. His selfless actions contributed to the lifesaving effort of the injured crew. Once the scene was secure, Petty Officer Carolus resumed his duties as the Senior Line Corpsman, ensuring medical waste was disposed of, and sanitizing all personnel involved. Petty Officer Carolus, in disregarding personal danger to rush to the aid of injured Marines, exemplified valor and dedication to service before self. By his courageous and prompt actions in the face of great personal risk, Petty Officer Carolus prevented the loss of life, thereby reflecting great credit upon himself and upheld the highest traditions of the Marine Corps and of the United States Naval Service.
                Action Date: September 28, 2011

Service: Navy

Company: Corpsman (Attached), Company C

Battalion: 2d Light Armored Reconnaissance Battalion

Division: 2d Marine Division (Forward)
                sigpic

Comment

• Ndnsoldierboy
                  It is useless to resist.
                  • Oct 2004

Black Sheep Squadron Leader

Gregory "Pappy" Boyington
                  Date of birth: December 4, 1912
                  Date of death: January 11, 1988
                  Burial location: Arlington, Virginia
                  Place of Birth: Idaho, Coeur D'Alene
                  Home of record: Okanogan Washington

Gregory Boyington became a World War II Marine Corps ACE, credited with shooting down TWENTY-TWO enemy aircraft in aerial combat. (He also shot down two Japanese aircraft while serving with the AVG.) On October 5, 1945 President Harry S Truman presented the Medal of Honor to Major Boyington, his first award having been posthumously presented to his mother. Boyington was a pilot in Clair Chennault's famed "Flying Tigers" in the early days of the war, before returning to duty with the Marine Corps.

Medal of Honor

Awarded for actions during the World War II

The President of the United States of America, in the name of Congress, takes pleasure in presenting the Medal of Honor to Major Gregory "Pappy" Boyington (MCSN: 0-5254), United States Marine Corps Reserve, for extraordinary heroism and valiant devotion to duty at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty as Commanding Officer of Marine Fighting Squadron TWO HUNDRED FOURTEEN (VMF-214), Marine Air Group ELEVEN (MAG-11), FIRST Marine Aircraft Wing, in action against enemy Japanese forces in the Central Solomons Area from 12 September 1943 to 3 January 1944. Consistently outnumbered throughout successive hazardous flights over heavily defended hostile territory, Major Boyington struck at the enemy with daring and courageous persistence, leading his squadron into combat with devastating results to Japanese shipping, shore installations, and aerial forces. Resolute in his efforts to inflict crippling damage on the enemy, Major Boyington led a formation of 24 fighters over Kahili on 17 October and, persistently circling the airdrome where 60 hostile aircraft were grounded, boldly challenged the Japanese to send up planes. Under his brilliant command, our fighters shot down 20 enemy craft in the ensuing action without the loss of a single ship. A superb airman and determined fighter against overwhelming odds, Major Boyington personally destroyed 26 of the many Japanese planes shot down by his squadron and, by his forceful leadership, developed the combat readiness in his command which was a distinctive factor in the Allied aerial achievements in this vitally strategic area.

Action Date: September 12, 1943 - January 3, 1944

Service: Marine Corps

Company: Marine Fighting Squadron 214 (VMF-214)

Regiment: Marine Air Group 11 (MAG-11)

Division: 1st Marine Aircraft Wing
                  sigpic

Comment

• Ndnsoldierboy
                    It is useless to resist.
                    • Oct 2004

Nicholas C. Lavery

Silver Star

The President of the United States of America, authorized by Act of Congress July 9, 1918 (amended by an act of July 25, 1963), takes pleasure in presenting the Silver Star to Staff Sergeant Nicholas C. Lavery, United States Army, for conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity in connection with military operations against the enemy on 11 March 2013, as a Detachment Weapons Sergeant, Special Forces Operational Detachment-Alpha 3126, Special Operations Task Force-East, Vsp Jalrez, Wardak Province, Afghanistan in support of Operation ENDURING FREEDOM. Sergeant Lavery distinguished himself through gallantry and intrepidity by selflessly exposing himself to extremely effective machine gun and small arms fire in order to neutralize the enemy, and care for wounded soldiers of ODA 3126, the infantry squad uplift, and Afghan National Army Special Forces. His actions allowed the element to recover all personnel, and secure the VSP for medical evacuation with no additional loss of life. His heroic actions and bravery under fire inspired the men of the VSP to continue the mission and saved the lives of his teammates. His actions are in keeping with the finest traditions of military heroism and reflect distinct credit upon himself, the Combined Joint Special Operations Task Force-Afghanistan, the Special Operations Joint Task Force Afghanistan, the United States Forces-Afghanistan, and the United States Army. NARRATIVE TO ACCOMPANY AWARD: Staff Sergeant Nicholas C. Lavery, United States Army, heroically distinguished himself by exceptionally valorous conduct in the face of the enemy of the United States as a Detachment Weapons Sergeant, Special Forces Operational Detachment-Alpha (ODA) 3126, Special Operations Task Force-East, near Village Stability Platform (VSP) Jalrez, Wardak Province, Afghanistan in support of Operation ENDURING FREEDOM. On 11 March 2013, ODA 3126, Afghan National Army Special Forces (ANASF) Operational Detachment-Alpha 4060 were conducting a joint patrol brief in the motor pool at VSP Jalrez, Jalrez District, Wardak Province. The ODA leaders had concluded their brief and were about to conduct communications checks when an Afghan National Police (ANP) officer operating a truck mounted machine gun opened fire on the formation from a distance of 25 feet. Simultaneously, 15-20 insurgents 150 to 300 meters south of VSP Jalrez initiated an attack directed at the VSP with machine guns and small arms. During the initial burst, 2 United States (US) Soldiers, 2 ANP officers and 2 ANASF Soldiers had fallen and 10 U.S. military personnel, 2 ANASF Soldiers, 3 linguists, 2 Afghan Uniformed Police Officers, and the Deputy Chief of Police were wounded. The ODA and ANASF returned fire with organic weapons in order to suppress both inside and outside threats as the casualty collection point was being established. Sergeant Lavery was attending the joint patrol brief, and was standing beside another US Soldier when the PKM gunner opened fire on the group. Due to the rate of PKM fire, and their extreme proximity to the gunner, each man had only an instant to react. In an act that had become familiar to his teammates, Sergeant Lavery reached out to protect the man next to him. His hands found the Soldier whom he pushed backwards while simultaneously stepping in front of him; placing himself between the Soldier and the PKM gunner. Sergeant Lavery was wounded immediately thereafter by a round to his right upper leg, which shattered his femur and severed his femoral artery. The gunshot knocked Sergeant Lavery down, on top of the Soldier. From this new position, physically covering the Soldier from the continuous volume of fire, Sergeant Lavery yelled at the Soldier to move to cover. As the firefight developed around him, and with a life threatening injury, Sergeant Lavery continued to yell out directions until his teammates could move him to a safe position at the Casualty Collection Point. Sergeant Lavery made the selfless choice to exchange his own safety for the safety of his teammate. His actions are in keeping with the finest traditions of military heroism and reflect distinct credit upon himself, the Combined Joint Special Operations Task Force-Afghanistan, the Special Operations Joint Task-Afghanistan, and the United States Army.

Action Date: March 11, 2013

Company: Operational Detachment Alpha 3126 (ODA-3126)

Regiment: 3d Special Forces Group (Airborne)
                    sigpic

Comment

• Ndnsoldierboy
                      It is useless to resist.
                      • Oct 2004

Afghanistan campaign medal

The Afghanistan Campaign Medal (ACM) is a military award of the United States military which was created by Executive Order 13363 of President George W. Bush on November 29, 2004.[1] The Afghanistan Campaign Medal was designed by the U.S. Army Institute of Heraldry.

The Afghanistan Campaign Medal became available for general distribution in June 2005. It is awarded to any member of the U.S. military who has performed duty within the borders of Afghanistan (or its airspace) for a period of thirty consecutive days or sixty non-consecutive days. The medal is retroactive to October 24, 2001 and is active until a date to be determined. Personnel who have been engaged in combat with an enemy force, or personnel who have been wounded in combat within Afghanistan, may receive the Afghanistan Campaign Medal regardless of the number of days spent within the country. The medal is also awarded posthumously to any service member who dies in the line of duty within Afghanistan, including from non-combat injuries such as accidents and mishaps.

Phase 1: Liberation of Afghanistan – September 11, 2001 to November 30, 2001
                      Phase 2: Consolidation I – December 1, 2001 to September 30, 2006
                      Phase 3: Consolidation II – October 1, 2006 to November 30, 2009
                      Phase 4: Consolidation III – December 1, 2009 to June 30, 2011
                      Phase 5: Transition I – July 1, 2011 to a date to be determined

For each campaign phase that an individual participates in, a bronze 3/16" service star is worn on the service ribbon, with a silver service star being worn in lieu of five bronze service stars.

The Afghanistan Campaign Medal may also be awarded with the combat operation insignia for qualified sailors assigned to Marine Corps units, as well as the arrowhead device for qualified soldiers.

Appearance

The medal is bronze in appearance, 1.25 inches in diameter. It depicts above a range of mountains a map of Afghanistan. Around the top is the inscription "AFGHANISTAN CAMPAIGN." On the reverse, a radiating demi-sun superimposed by an eagle’s head couped. Inscribed across the bottom half of the reserve side are the three lines "FOR SERVICE IN AFGHANISTAN", enclosed by a laurel wreath.

Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal

The award replaces the Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal (GWOTEM) for service in Afghanistan and personnel who previously received the GWOTEM for Afghanistan service may elect to exchange the medal for the new Afghanistan Campaign Medal. Both medals may not be received for the same period of service in Afghanistan and any current Afghanistan service will only be recognized with the Afghanistan Campaign Medal
                      Attached Files
                      sigpic

Comment

• Ndnsoldierboy
                        It is useless to resist.
                        • Oct 2004

Missing in Action No more

Welcome Home Sgt. Charles A. Gardner. Rest In Peace.

Soldiers from 3rd Infantry Regiment conduct the remains of Army Sgt. Charles A. Gardner to a burial service at Arlington National Cemetery in Arlington, Va., on Thursday. Gardner was a crew member aboard a B-24D Liberator when the aircraft was shot down over New Guinea on April 10, 1944. His remains were recovered in 2001 and recently identified. Mike Morones/Staff
                        Attached Files
                        sigpic

Comment

• Ndnsoldierboy
                          It is useless to resist.
                          • Oct 2004

George Donald Slack
                          Date of birth: December 24, 1916
                          Date of death: August 16, 1950
                          Burial location: Jacksonville, Florida
                          Home of record: Tampa Florida

Silver Star

Awarded for actions during the Korean War

The President of the United States of America, authorized by Act of Congress July 9, 1918, takes pride in presenting the Silver Star (Posthumously) to Captain (Infantry) George Donald Slack (ASN: 0-1315627), United States Army, for gallantry in action as a member of Company F, 19th Infantry Regiment, 24th Infantry Division, in action in the vicinity of Ohang Hill, Naktong River Front, Korea, on 16 August 1950. His company after weeks of delaying action against overwhelming numbers of the enemy, had been reduced to a strength of only 40 men. Determined to secure high ground, in order to enable his battalion to launch a forthcoming attack, he reorganized his company and fearlessly led the assault. Completely disregarding personal safety he led his men forward against the heavily defended enemy positions. Inspired by his gallant example, his men fought their way through the enemy's deadly fire until the position was overrun. Upon reaching the summit of the hill and his objective attained, Captain Slack was killed. His courageous action, complete devotion to duty and superior leadership reflect the greatest credit on himself and the United States Infantry.

General Orders: Headquarters, 24th Infantry Division, General Orders No. 262 (December 14, 1950)

Action Date: August 16, 1950

Company: Company F

Regiment: 19th Infantry Regiment

Division: 24th Infantry Division
                          Last edited by Ndnsoldierboy; 12-22-2014, 02:31 PM.
                          sigpic

Comment

• Ndnsoldierboy
                            It is useless to resist.
                            • Oct 2004

Navy Cross recipient who battled military fakers laid to rest

A Navy Cross recipient who dedicated his life to protecting the integrity of valor awards has been interred at Arlington National Cemetery with his fellow heroes.

Retired Marine Lt. Col. Thomas Richards was given full military honors at a Tuesday ceremony that was attended by Medal of Honor recipient Barney Barnum and Assistant Commandant of the Marine Corps Gen. John M. Paxton Jr.

In June 1969, Richards fended off enemy attacks in Vietnam so that wounded Marines could be evacuated. He killed eight enemy troops and prevented the Marine perimeter from collapsing. After retiring, Richards helped Marine Corps Times uncover at least 40 instances in which Marine Corps Association members lied about receiving valor awards, including the Medal of Honor. He died of cancer in June.

On Tuesday, seven white horses pulled a flag-draped caisson in front of the funeral procession which marched to a drumbeat cadence to keep them in rhythm. Half of the Marine escort team marched in front of the colors and the other half behind. When the procession came to a stop, one Marine brought the urn with Richards' remains near the gravesite.

Diane Richards did not expect so many Marines to be there for her husband's interment.

"I was shocked by the entire tribute," she told Marine Corps Times after the ceremony. "I had no idea that they would be there. I was told there may be a few Marines from 8th and I, and had expected one or two representing the Marine Corps. When I walked out and saw this sea of Marines, I was overwhelmed."

After a bugler blew Taps and Richards was presented with a folded flag, Paxton knelt in front of her and embraced her.

"He and Tom were close," she said. "He continually offered his love and support, respect for Tom, what Tom stood for, the work that Tom did for the Marine Corps and for the country; and that the Marine Corps family will forever be mine."

It's fitting that her husband is now at rest in Arlington, she said.

"Tom was humble," she said. "I think to him, certainly he is among comrades. He is among comrades who shared his values and he's also among history, which was his love. His being at Arlington is also an opportunity for his legacy to be continued, something he would hold dear to his heart."

Semper Fi...
                            Attached Files
                            sigpic

Comment

• Ndnsoldierboy
                              It is useless to resist.
                              • Oct 2004

George Charles Lang
                              Date of birth: April 20, 1947
                              Date of death: March 16, 2005
                              Burial location: Westbury, Long Island, New York
                              Place of Birth: New York, Flushing
                              Home of record: Brooklyn New York

Medal of Honor

Awarded for actions during the Vietnam War

The President of the United States of America, in the name of Congress, takes pleasure in presenting the Medal of Honor to Specialist Fourth Class George Charles Lang, United States Army, for conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty while serving with Company A, 4th Battalion, 47th Infantry Regiment, 9th Infantry Division, in action against enemy aggressor forces at Ben Tre City, Kien Hoa Province, Republic of Vietnam, on 22 February 1969. Specialist Fourth Class Lang, Company A, was serving as a squad leader when his unit, on a reconnaissance-in-force mission, encountered intense fire from a well fortified enemy bunker complex. Specialist Fourth Class Lang observed an emplacement from which heavy fire was coming. Unhesitatingly, he assaulted the position and destroyed it with hand grenades and rifle fire. Observing another emplacement approximately 15 meters to his front, Specialist Fourth Class Lang jumped across a canal, moved through heavy enemy fire to within a few feet of the position, and eliminated it, again using hand grenades and rifle fire. Nearby, he discovered a large cache of enemy ammunition. As he maneuvered his squad forward to secure the cache, they came under fire from yet a third bunker. Specialist Fourth Class Lang immediately reacted, assaulted this position, and destroyed it with the remainder of his grenades. After returning to the area of the arms cache, his squad again came under heavy enemy rocket and automatic weapons fire from three sides and suffered six casualties. Specialist Fourth Class Lang was one of those seriously wounded. Although immobilized and in great pain, he continued to direct his men until his evacuation was ordered over his protests. The sustained extraordinary courage and selflessness exhibited by this soldier over an extended period of time were an inspiration to his comrades and are in keeping with the highest traditions of the United States Army.
                              General Orders: Department of the Army, General Orders No. 18 (March 24, 1971)

Action Date: February 22, 1969

Company: Company A

Battalion: 4th Battalion

Regiment: 47th Infantry Regiment

Division: 9th Infantry Division
                              sigpic

Comment

• Ndnsoldierboy
                                It is useless to resist.
                                • Oct 2004

David R. Halbruner

Distinguished Service Cross

The President of the United States of America, authorized by Act of Congress July 9, 1918, takes pleasure in presenting the Distinguished Service Cross to Master Sergeant David R. Halbruner, United States Army, for extraordinary heroism in action from 11 September 2012 to 12 September 2012, as a Team Leader for a Joint Task Force in support of an overseas contingency operation (at Benghazi, Libya). Without regard for his own safety, Master Sergeant Halbruner's valorous actions, dedication to duty and willingness to place himself in harm's way for the protection of others was critical to the success of saving numerous United States Civilian lives. Throughout the operation, Master Sergeant Halbruner continually exposed himself to fire as he shepherded unarmed civilians to safety and treated the critically wounded. His calm demeanor, professionalism and courage was an inspiration to all and contributed directly to the success of the mission. Master Sergeant Halbruner's distinctive accomplishments are in keeping with the finest traditions of the military service and reflect great credit upon himself, his Command and the United States Army.
                                General Orders: Department of the Army, General Orders No. 73 (October 22, 2013)

Action Date: September 11 - 12, 2012

sigpic

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.