No announcement yet.

Search for 12 Marines ends without finding survivors after helicopters crash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Search for 12 Marines ends without finding survivors after helicopters crash

Search for 12 Marines ends without finding survivors after helicopters crash

After five days without finding any survivors, the Coast Guard suspended its search for 12 Marines who were missing since Jan. 14 when their two CH-53 helicopters crashed off Oahu.

“The decision to suspend the search without finding survivors was particularly difficult,” said Capt. James Jenkins, commander of the Coast Guard’s 14th District.

Searchers discovered some of the wreckage from the helicopters on the ocean floor about two miles offshore in roughly 325 feet of water, Jenkins said at a news conference Tuesday in Hawaii. The Marine Corps will now be in charge of the investigation into what happened and any possible recovery operations, he said.

“I know that nothing can ease the pain of the families of those missing, but I hope that the [search] efforts and the knowledge that so many were willing to put forth so much effort to try to bring those Marines home will provide some solace in the future,” Jenkins said.

The two CH-53s that crashed came from Helicopter Squadron 463, Marine Aircraft Group 24, 1st Marine Aircraft Wing from Marine Corps Base Hawaii. The Marines have been identified as:

•Maj. Shawn M. Campbell, 41, College Station, Texas.
    •Capt. Brian T. Kennedy, 31, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
    •Capt. Kevin T. Roche, 30, St. Louis, Missouri.
    •Capt. Steven R. Torbert, 29, Florence, Alabama.
    •Sgt. Dillon J. Semolina, 24,Chaska, Minnesota.
    •Sgt. Adam C. Schoeller, 25, Gardners, Pennsylvania.
    •Sgt. Jeffrey A. Sempler, 22, Woodruff, South Carolina.
    •Sgt. William J. Turner, 25, Florala, Alabama.
    •Cpl. Matthew R. Drown, 23, Spring, Texas.
    •Cpl. Thomas J. Jardas, 22, Fort Myers, Florida.
    •Cpl. Christopher J. Orlando, 23, Hingham, Massachusetts.
    •Lance Cpl. Ty L. Hart, 21, Aumsville, Oregon.

A memorial for the 12 Marines is planned for Friday at Marine Corps Base Hawaii, said Marine Brig. Gen. Russell Sanborn, commander of the 1st Marine Aircraft Wing. A board has been formed to review the evidence surrounding the crash.

“The goal now is to switch to the recovery and the salvage operations … the recovery of any debris, any of the remains that may be discovered so that we can give closure to those families that are still out there that still want that final piece of the puzzle.”

Marine Heavy Helicopter Squadron 463 is the only CH-53E squadron assigned to 1st Marine Aircraft Wing. The “Pegasus” squadron was activated in 1944, has operated on both coasts. The squadron began transition to the CH-53E Super Stallion in September 2011.

I have flown over this area before in Hawaii back in 1999-2001, its the North Shore. Big waves and rough seas especially in the winter. I hope the find the Marines to give the Families closure.

And We lost 19 Marines in a helo crash in March 1989 in Korea from my old battalion in 1989 and off the coast of Okinawa our sister battalion 3rd Battalion, 3rd Marines, 3rd Marine Division which was attached to my battalion lost 13 Marines as well. Never recovered.

Semper Fi, Marines...

sigpic
    R.I.P. my Bros from the 1st MAR DIV, 3rd MAR DIV, 25th I.D., 10th MTN DIV, V Corps, 170th IBCT who gave their lives in the Cold War, Marines we lost in Korea during Team Spirit '89 & Okinawa '89- bodies never recovered, Panama, 1st Gulf War, Somalia, Afghanistan, Iraq...

So sad. I was wondering how long it would be before it went to a recovery mission. When 2 planes collide like that in the air, there's not much hope for survivors, although miracles can happen. My heart goes out to the families.
    Take nothing for granted. Life can change irrevocably in a heartbeat.

I will not feed the troll-well, I will try.

Comment

Update to this thread

Human remains recovered from December crash of U.S. military planes

Update to this thread.

June 10 (UPI) -- A salvage operation after a midair collision of military planes off Japan's coast ended with the recovery of human remains, the U.S. Marines said on Monday.

The two-week search concluded on Friday, yielding the cockpit voice recorder and digital flight recorder of the KC-130J tanker plane involved in the Dec. 6, 2018, nighttime collision with an F/A-18 Hornet fighter plane.

Five crewmembers of the tanker and the pilot of the fighter were killed in the collision, about 200 miles south of Muroto Cape on Shikoku Island, off Japan's southern coast. Only the Hornet's weapons officer survived.

The Marines identified those aboard the tanker as Lt. Col. Kevin R. Herrmann, 38, of New Bern, N.C.; Maj. James M. Brophy, 36, of Staatsburg, N.Y.; Staff Sgt. Maximo A. Flores, 27, of Surprise, Ariz.; Cpl. Daniel E. Baker, 21, of Tremont, Ill.; Cpl. William C. Ross, 21, of Hendersonville, Tenn. All were members of Marine Aerial Refueler Transport Squadron 152. Capt. Jahmar F. Resilard, 28, of Miramar, Fla., the pilot of the fighter plane, was rescued but later died of his injuries.

A search spanning 3,500 square nautical miles ended after five days. The cause of the collision has not been established.

"Human remains were recovered during the salvage operation," a statement on Monday from III Marine Expeditionary Force said. "At this time, the number and identity of those recovered is not known. The remains will be transferred to Dover Air Force Base, Del., where formal identification will be made by competent medical authorities."

The recording devices were sent to Naval Air Systems Command in Patuxent River, Md., for investigation.
      Attached Files
      sigpic
      R.I.P. my Bros from the 1st MAR DIV, 3rd MAR DIV, 25th I.D., 10th MTN DIV, V Corps, 170th IBCT who gave their lives in the Cold War, Marines we lost in Korea during Team Spirit '89 & Okinawa '89- bodies never recovered, Panama, 1st Gulf War, Somalia, Afghanistan, Iraq...

Comment

Rest In Peace.
        sigpic

Comment

Updated with photos and names of Marines who died

Marine Corps recovers, identifies remains of three Marines killed in deadly 2018 aviation mishap

By: Diana Stancy Correll

Following a salvage operation, the Marine Corps has recovered and identified the remains of three U.S. Marines killed in December 2018 in an aircraft mishap off the coast of Japan, according to Marine officials.

The remains of Lt. Col. Kevin R. Herrmann, 38, of New Bern, North Carolina; Maj. James M. Brophy, 36, of Staatsburg, New York; and Staff Sgt. Maximo A. Flores, 27, of Surprise, Arizona, were recovered and will be released to their families in accordance with their wishes.

“Our thoughts and prayers remain with the families and all those who loved our fallen Warriors,” Marine Corps Maj. Gen. Thomas D. Weidley, former commanding general of 1st Marine Aircraft Wing, said in a statement. “I am extremely grateful for the professionalism, dedication, and support of those who brought our Marines home.”

A total of six Marines were killed Dec. 6, 2018, after a Marine Corps KC-130 refueling tanker and an F/A-18 fighter jet collided during a training operation.

All crew aboard the KC-130 refueling tanker died, and the F/A-18′s pilot Capt. Jahmar F. Resilard, 28, was pronounced dead after he was found during an initial search and rescue operation. The F/A-18’s weapons officer was the only one to survive the accident.

The salvage operation failed to recover remains of Cpl. Daniel E. Baker, 21, of Tremont, Illinois, and Cpl. William C. Ross, 21, of Hendersonville, Tennessee.

Weidley relieved Lt. Col. James R. Compton of his command as the commanding officer of Marine All Weather Fighter Attack Squadron 242 on April 22 for a “loss of trust and confidence.” Compton’s ouster was prompted by decisions that may have surrounded the crash, a source with knowledge of the incident told Marine Corps Times.

After the salvage operation from May 27–June 7, the remains were taken to Dover Air Force Base in Delaware so medical authorities could identify them.

The KC-130J’s cockpit voice recorder and digital flight recorder were also obtained in the operation and were sent to Naval Air Systems Command in Patuxent River, Maryland.

The cause of the accident is still under investigation.

Rest in peace Marines.
          Attached Files
          sigpic

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X