Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peacekeeper83
    replied
    Semper Fi brothers and sisters.....we know what we been through,the prices many of us seen and paid....all we can do is walk tall and be the example to our communities that we need to be...
    to those who live life with deceipt...their lives will reflect the choas they create...they are judged by a higher authority than any of us...and they will be dealt with accordingly...

OOOOrrraaaahhhhh to those of us jarheads who lived in the 03 world....its good to see I am in such good company...

Leave a comment:

• mike0331
    replied
    well i am ,late as usual but i would like to add my bit ,,,i entered the service (usmc) 0683 anets on0793i was a0311/0331 and i really have a hard time w/ some of these yahoo's some one once tried to tell me that marines once wore berets in the 80's i was in task force grizzly during the 1st persian excursion i think what pains me is the fact that vets have paid our dues to carry the colors, staffs and lances and most of us are still willin to fight and die ,,,,but i believe we as vets hold life alot more dearly and when 'they ' fake it it really hurts themselves ,,,,it also has a effect on the people hold them accontable......embaress them some cant be but hell what cant we do ? hell made MACRESS walked across the desert we can do anything w/ nothing

Leave a comment:

• ChickasawDiva
    replied
    Well, this is just my 2 cents here....It bothers me when people will go out and do the fake vet thing. Sure, maybe they're dancing for a family member or whatnot, its not my place to call someone out and cause a scene about them not being a vet. How am I to know who's fake and who's not? Its on their concience anyway. Sure, I have family and close friends in the military, and my grandfather served in Europe during WWII. A man who's like extended family to me has been stationed in Afghanistan twice, the first time he was one of the men that went into the caves to get Al Quaida members out, and the second time, he was a guard at the US Embassy, he's been decorated for his bravery and taking fire, etc...my fiancee was supposed to get out in September, he's served his 4 years in the USMC. Well, last night I was told they're not letting him out, and he's being sent to Iraq in September for 9 months--possibly longer. Both of these guys are from Canada, but they're fighting for our country. Even though I love all of my family and friends who have served and are stationed overseas and whatnot, I'm not going in there to dance because I'm not the veteran, I don't have that right. But to whoever does, that's your deal, go to it. I just find it a little bit offensive when these people go dressed in uniforms--most of the time looking so...unkempt I guess is the word, and they'll have on those boot moccasins, etc...My family and I were at a powwow in the northern part of the state and this older white man was there in his dress blues (which did not fit properly at all), claimed he was a staff sgt or something, and said he was stationed at Camp Lejune, and then said he lived in the barracks where my fiancee lives. Well, he was obviously lying, you could tell by his actions. My fiancee called up a friend of his that's one of the higher ups in that base, and asked about this man, and this man doesn't live there, and has no military record of ever being there. But we just let him be and went on. There's another thing that annoys me...there are these older people, I can't say if they're white or Native, everyone has Native blood nowadays, but they'll come to the powwow in uniforms, but have those boot moccasins on, carrying guns and whatnot, and have turkey feathers hanging from their hats, etc. I just think, maybe they're really vets, maybe not, but why do you have to wear your uniform? Sure, wear it for that one dance, but do you have to walk around ALL WEEKEND in it, and then dance in intertribals, pointing your gun at the sky and looking up into the sky as if you're in a trance, and then act all high and mighty and get mad when people don't speak to you? I feel that people like that just want to show off, and I don't understand it. I've never served in the military, obviously, so maybe I just don't understand the pride that comes with it or whatever...so I don't say anything to these people, just keep it to myself and go on. Yup...this is probably the ONLY time I've spoken up about this, and probably the last time I'll do so, lol. And sorry if its confusing to read my stuff because I switch back and forth to different subjects, lol. Also, I apologize to anyone I might offend or whatever by my opinions expressed in this post. And thanks to all the vets out there, and your families, for all the hard work and troubling times you have had to deal with to fight for our country. Take care everyone.

Leave a comment:

• BrokenHoop
    replied
    wth is a fake vet again? I served 12 years in the NAVY, but if I only served a month and got out I would be considered a vet no? Are you talking about war vets? I never fought in a war but damn we trained enough for 20! I was an OS and worked as an engagement planner... could won a 1000 battles with the number of engagements we put together. Hey, we did leave our missles for another ship that did fire on the Iraqi's during desert storm does that count? I hate being only a shield! :sw200:

Leave a comment:

• DANCINGEAGLE
    replied
    I have to say that I'm totally against these FAKE vets. I served 11 1/2 years in the Marine Corps and 3 years in the Army National Guard. When we have our p/w every year, there is this guy there that was kicked out of the Corps in 1987. When they call for the Vets and call us out by the different Campaign eras, he comes out saying that he served in Desert Storm. At no time was he ever there. Whenever he's confronted about his lying, he states that he was there on a special operation. To this day, he still turns my stomach.

Leave a comment:

• lovlie1
    replied
    Originally posted by 50calNDN
    Okay, so maybe it was a misunderstanding on my part. I took your earlier comment as an attack on me, LOL. So I had to put up a hasty defense. LOL I thank you for your time and dedication in the military. My wife is also in the Navy, so we go head to head on work. You know, the Marine-Navy team, blue-green. LOL Anyway, enjoy your day..........

No prob!

Leave a comment:

• 50cal
    replied
    Originally posted by lovlie1
    By no means do I brag about my time in. You are right I do not know the situation of why someone is dancing in the circle during the veteran song. But the question asked was how de we veterans feel if someone who fakes the funk.

P.S. I did do more then that, it was just an insight of some of things military folks have to do. Barely do I ever talk of my time in the Navy. If I do most likely it is about something fun in some place that I did. I am very greatful and humble to have served in the Navy. I learned, saw and met folks that I probaly would not have ever gotten the chance to meet! It broaden my perspective.

So don't get me wrong!
    Okay, so maybe it was a misunderstanding on my part. I took your earlier comment as an attack on me, LOL. So I had to put up a hasty defense. LOL I thank you for your time and dedication in the military. My wife is also in the Navy, so we go head to head on work. You know, the Marine-Navy team, blue-green. LOL Anyway, enjoy your day..........

Leave a comment:

• lovlie1
    replied
    Originally posted by 50calNDN
    Is that all you did???? That's a lot of time to reflect...

I did my time also, and in most Marines' point of view, you had it easy... While we do hate the "fake" vets, you oughta consider the fact that some families do represent their veterans when they are not there or can not dance for themselves... You need to think about that... Like I said, turn that page. Understand it before you say things and brag about your time in the navy...

Semper Fi!!!!!!!
    By no means do I brag about my time in. You are right I do not know the situation of why someone is dancing in the circle during the veteran song. But the question asked was how de we veterans feel if someone who fakes the funk.

P.S. I did do more then that, it was just an insight of some of things military folks have to do. Barely do I ever talk of my time in the Navy. If I do most likely it is about something fun in some place that I did. I am very greatful and humble to have served in the Navy. I learned, saw and met folks that I probaly would not have ever gotten the chance to meet! It broaden my perspective.

So don't get me wrong!

Leave a comment:

• 50cal
    replied
    Originally posted by lovlie1
    Not while I had to scrub decks, paint, and some other things that gave me time to reflect on my life while I was in some third world country!
    Is that all you did???? That's a lot of time to reflect...

I did my time also, and in most Marines' point of view, you had it easy... While we do hate the "fake" vets, you oughta consider the fact that some families do represent their veterans when they are not there or can not dance for themselves... You need to think about that... Like I said, turn that page. Understand it before you say things and brag about your time in the navy...

Semper Fi!!!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• lovlie1
    replied
    Well, me having done nine years in the Navy I think it is just plain wrong for someone to fake being a veteran! We all did our sevice and here they come faking it, I DON'T THINK SO! Not while I had to scrub decks, paint, and some other things that gave me time to reflect on my life while I was in some third world country!

Leave a comment:

• 50cal
    replied
    Originally posted by Chindi_Slayer
    That's what's wrong with the world today, all we do is complain. Who agrees with me?

Yak yak yak, LOL. JK......

Don't kill me next time you see me.....JK........I agree wit you.....Too many people complain about things that are none of their concern. If it bothers some of you people that much, pull them aside and talk to them about it. Have you considered that some of these people who wear ribbons or a unit insignia patch or a branch of service patch might be doing it for relatives???? Maybe they are out there representing their grandfathers or grandmothers who served during WW1 or 2....or maybe their aunties, uncles, brothers, sisters, fathers or mothers???? Like they say, you can't judge a book by its cover. You have to open it and turn the page, then you find what you're looking for. On the other hand, if they are claiming this status of being a veteran, then hell, knock 'em on their a$$ and show them a thing or two.

Just my opinion.............

Leave a comment:

• Chindi_Slayer
    Guest replied
    I was thinking the same thing, what was Amo's point????

As for HummingBirdRose, please keep the language clean.

What was the policy on this website? Go back and read it.

Leave a comment:

• Chindi_Slayer
    Guest replied
    Geez, just let people be themselves! Can't we all just live in peace.

If you know that someone is dancing in a veteran's circle and KNOW that he/she is not veteran, stand up and say something. Why cry to others and complain, go up to that person privately and acknowledge your concerns?

I've been in 7 years and still active, I don't go around crying wolf about how many ribbons I got or battle scars I have, but geez don't disrespect people you dont' know. If they served, bravo zulu on their part. Give them a handshake for it, but don't discredit their time and service.

That's what's wrong with the world today, all we do is complain. Who agrees with me?

Leave a comment:

• ojibwaysweetie
    replied
    Originally posted by hummingrose
    Is it just me or is it hard to understand what the hell kind of point this guys trying to give off. Ammo: are you writing a poem or what casue it's hard to know what the hell you're talking about with all those "...." :34:

Listen lady. I've had just about enough of your friggen disrespect and ignorance here on the forums. Now...why ask amo what he is talking about like that? Why can't you just simply and respectfully ask him to explain himself better if you cannot understand the post. There is no need to be sarcastic!!!! I wish the moderators would ban you from posting here. You are the one of the most totally ignorant people I've come across on here.

Leave a comment:

• hummingrose
    replied
    Originally posted by amo
    Depends on what you did for the people
    Was it something acculturally significant to the people's way of life......
    Did he/she dance at a young age....
    Is it taught by the patorial family (Uncles....so on so fort)......
    Did he/she go to the mountains to seek out a power....
    Do they (he/she) have a boy's Indian name or man's Name....
    Is their father still alive to give them their man's Indian name....
    Are they (parents separated) for their boy/girl to get one Indian name....
    Daring skills smoke jumpers, firefighters, ect.......
    The family was handed down from time of war between ourselves and the United States or other (french, brits).....
    Painted eagle feather or scalps from other Indian Bands pre war time.....
    They (he/she) could not go to war present becasue they were the only child in the family to carry on the namesake....
    They (he/she) are recognized by the people for epic battles between the U.S. vs. the Indians....
    Your Indian world comes first for the people...to spiritually heal other people or tell the future what is going to happen......
    A spiritual gift for the good of the people to help mankind.....
    Military for U.S. Armed Forces individual(s) that join to serve their people and country is different in repsects to:
    Article 13 or 14 that most Indian(s) plea(s) to get out of the service because of the wording in the Treaties "...shall not bear arms against the United States...".....
    They Indians that serve for one or two years get out because of the Articles 13 or 14 in the USMJC.....
    I observe no shame in this if this is what they (Indians servicemen short term) wanted to do...it done....
    Pow Wow's are different in regards to warfare amongst Indian to Indian to honor the eagle feather in highest regards....
    Thus, mentioned above about spiritual helper or healing process for the people.....
    Most people acting in part of history tell this to somebody in respect honor and give something (material wealth or monatory to drummers, dancers or people)....
    Pow Wow's MC's or headman/woman dancers, floor man/woman, or whipman/woman all should know this in the first place....that is why they are choosen to lead in their positions.....
    Most say if they Men/women who served the full term of duties and get an Honorable Discharge from the United States Armred Forces...they earned it...others claim that is not right if a man/woman serve and quit claiming the above mentioned USMJC...
    they are in the right to dance in the Veteran's dance...
    Its up to the Pow Wow Committee to let who, what, where and how a Vet can participate....
    Is it just me or is it hard to understand what the hell kind of point this guys trying to give off. Ammo: are you writing a poem or what casue it's hard to know what the hell you're talking about with all those "...." :34:

Leave a comment:

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.