Gourd Dancing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gourd Dancing

I was reading an article that said the only men who can gourd dance have to be veterans because traditionally it was only warriors who did the gourd dancing. I want to know if this is true because a good friend of mine has been gourd dancing for years and i know he never served in the armed forces. I was to know if I'm being taken for a fool.

You're not a fool

You do not have to be a veteran in order to gourd dance.
    It's not a veteran's dance, even if all of the original members were historically warriors. The only exception I can think of would be a group or club that gourd dances whose membership is made up exclusively of veterans. So, if you're not a vet, steer clear of those groups.

This has been covered a few times under the Gourd Dance forum. You might want to read through those threads and archives.

Comment

Originally posted by GCane
      I was reading an article that said the only men who can gourd dance have to be veterans because traditionally it was only warriors who did the gourd dancing. I want to know if this is true because a good friend of mine has been gourd dancing for years and i know he never served in the armed forces. I was to know if I'm being taken for a fool.

Gcane,

See what happens when information is not passed on by a tribe whose dance is part of their history and culture?
      Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

Gcane:
        I invite you to come and read the postings in Gourd Dancing.
        This is a falicy that has been passed around for quite some time. This dance is a Mens Dance and many are Vet.s.
        BOB

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Related Topics

Collapse

• TacO5000
          Gourd dancing is not a veterans dance
          by TacO5000
          Everytime I read This post that you people put your always talking about the gourd dancing being a veterans dance, its not a veteran dance. I have roots in carnige and have also lived in carnige. Some of my family are members of the Kiowa Gourd Clan. It's a Kiowa dance, this is coming from a kiowa ...
          08-03-2003, 12:35 AM
        • pecostx
          Gourd dance questions
          by pecostx
          my father was going to teach me about gourd dancing after my return from Iraq in '08. Unfortunately he died before I was retired from service due to injuries sustained in combat. Now as a veteran I have a strong yearning to learn about gourd dancing and showing respect for veterans. I have most of my...
          03-23-2011, 02:10 AM
        • _wuliechsin_
          Any Info
          by _wuliechsin_
          I am interested in learning, the History of Gourd Dancing. Could any body give me any info , it would be much appericated. Thank you.
          04-12-2006, 06:41 PM
        • WhoMe
          Kiowa Gourd Clan dates
          by WhoMe
          Much has been posted about the Kiowa and the Gourd Dance on Powwows.com. Many times the answers to questions have been, "go to visit the Kiowa in order to witness for yourself."

With this, the following dates have been chosen by the Kiowa Gourd Clan to hold their "benefit...
          03-03-2005, 12:06 PM
        • Josiah
          Encyclopedia version of the Gourd Dance
          by Josiah
          I surf the internet alot and occasional run across bits of information that i have to share.
          I was reading this entry in the encyclopedia and it struck me that there were things in here that I have never heard of!
          I am no expert and do not claim to know everything, that is not possible....
          08-02-2006, 01:36 PM

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X