Lover of Nature

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lover of Nature

Finished watching, "Scared Buffalo People", again on PBS, and came looking for some Nat Am discussions. I am white, Italian and French, and am not trying to be anything that I'm not. Just feel a resonance with Nat Am thinking, or some of it, and would like to meet people who think like I do. I respect the earth and wildlife, and feel equal to all animals, not superior, and like to learn all I can about them. I am always looking for more wildlife web cams.

I was raised catholic in a big city, but spent summers in a small country town. I think the country gave me an appreciation of nature, though the city has a Very big park system and wildlife refuge inside the city limits, and they became my escape on hot summer days, when we stoped going to the country. I find beauty in the winter when the leaves fall.

I never accepted christian teachings, I had too many questions that they couldn't answer. I got into trouble not accepting what I was told to on faith. I looked into other religions. Not to finmd one to believe in, just out of curiosity, as to what created them, and what was so wrong with them as I was taught. Eastern religions attracted me, but not completely. Early one sunday AM on a ride in the country, I had a religous experience, looking at the scenery and birds soaring. That made me think that there had to be a god, though I don't believe in the usual kind. To me matter and energy making everything work, are what others call god. A friend who studied religions told me I was a Pantheist, since that's what they believe in. I am not convinced theire is a spirit, since I can only believe in what I see. One guy in the show said that we were walking on god, when we walk on the earth, that everything is god, us included, part of the whole.

When I am in nature, I look, study, and try to understand what makes everything work together. I am fasinated by wildlife, and enjoy seeing them act and interact. I get a thrill when I see Canadian Geese geting excited to migrate. I go to the park to see if the transients have come in, and then to try to catch them leaving. A few people who Should know, told me they Don't migrate. We Do have a lot of residents, but I am sure some pass through. It annoys me when people tell me things that aren't accurate. We are in the eastern flyway.

I got involved with astronomy to learn more about the cosmos. I had an interest, ever since seeing an increadable night sky when in Tx many yrs ago, but my interest got really strong. I would love to move to an area where the skies are as dark as can be at night, but became disabled 20yrs ago, and it isn't looking that likely. I had planed an around the country trip, to see all the natural wonders, as payment for my injuries. That kept me going, and not get depressed over my situation, and I learned a lot, and needed to since I had some brain and memory damage.

Well, life is a journey, and I like exploring and enjoying all that is here.

Vince F

Vince,
    You don't have to be Indian to be a lover of nature, you only have to be human.

"Be good, be kind, help each other."
    "Respect the ground, respect the drum, respect each other."

--Abe Conklin, Ponca/Osage (1926-1995)

Comment

Originally posted by Historian View Post
      Vince,
      "To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible." ~St. Augustine

Comment

Originally posted by Historian View Post
        Vince,
        I agree, but native peoples seem More human. Farmers, and I guess ranchers are better than city dwellers when it comes to nature, but they are still a bit Alein. I think organic ones come closer.

I try to learn from wildlife and nature, the best way to be human. I heard a Nat Am saying, "if you want to learn how to raise children, watch the wolves with their young". Some christian sayings have stuck with me, like, "don't worry about what you shall eat, drink, or wear, since got provided for the animals". I think about that when I see a sparrow dineing on horse manure.)) A friend just mentioned a show where Inuit were eating blubber mixed with feces.((

I think the biblical story about Adam and Eve supposedly being cast out of the Garden of Eden. I think that was when man stoped being natural, living off the land. I try to figure how to get back to The Garden. Then I think religions would be unnecessary, and maybe they were created By Man, to try to help him in an unnatural world he created. The God Part of the brain was probably what cast man out of the garden. I'm not an atheist, but I don't like believing in an invention of man. I think that's why I look for the truth. I was raised catholic, but could never accept it. I Asked questions, and wasn't satisfied when I didn't get answers. Being told to have faith, by someone who couldn't answer me, had human weakneses, who was a represitive of the faith and dedicated their life to it, wasn't acceptable. When someone says, Believe me, but I Can't explain It, Doesn't get it. If you want to know the Truth, you have to search for yourself. That's what got me to where I am, and I don't need all the ceremony and ritual. I guess others do. Even in the religion that works best for me, Pantheism, in a group, the people Need cerimonies, songs, meeting places. Then they start making rules based on Their needs. Don't need all that if one immerses themselves in nature and the cosmos, and just experiences it. I don't see animals having that need. Herd animals may to a point, where they need each other. Maybe that is the difference. Some people are herd people, some are pack, and some are independent.

Vince F

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.