• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Twofeather
    Pow Wow Visitor
    • Mar 2007

Powwow Down Under

I thought to myself, this is probably the best place in the world to ask for help.

I am trying to organise, plan and sponsor a powwow in Australia. I am not Native American and but I respect and have great admiration for the people.

It has always been a dream of mine to attend a powwow, and I know of many in Australia who don't have the opportunity to attend. So I would like to organise a group of powwow dancers to come to us.

If this is considered by any organiser, dancer, native american as disrespectful, please let me know, because in no way am I trying to be disrespectful.

So as I have never done this before, I am after help, advice anything. I don't expect that it will come to fruition for a couple of years. As I have to work out the initial plan, then organise sponsors here in Australia.

My intention is that we will pay for Air fares, accommodation and food. I am sure there will be a lot of takers for this trip but I am hoping to connect with a genuine organiser who will, source out the best people for the job.

I welcome any replies.
    Yes, it will be fantastic
    66.67%
    No, we don't want it
    33.33%
  • hobbs49
    Holy Indian Taco Batman!
    • Sep 2003

Hi TwoFeather! Interesting proposal. I expect that it will generate some interesting discussion! I'm pretty sure that there have been some who frequent powwows.com who have danced outside of the US and Canada before. So who knows, you may have come to the right place.
    "It doesn't really matter, they don't know any better anyway."

Comment

• bahnisiain
      Eastern Blanket Dancer
      • Dec 2001

it is a very interesting idea. i am sure you will a lot of folks answering this thread. i have spoken with a few people. usually a pow wow can take up to a year to plan.
      Bahnisiain

Comment

• WhoMe
        PauWau Coordinator
        • Jul 2003

Originally posted by Twofeather View Post
        I thought to myself, this is probably the best place in the world to ask for help.

I am trying to organise, plan and sponsor a powwow in Australia. I am not Native American and but I respect and have great admiration for the people.

It has always been a dream of mine to attend a powwow, and I know of many in Australia who don't have the opportunity to attend. So I would like to organise a group of powwow dancers to come to us.

If this is considered by any organiser, dancer, native american as disrespectful, please let me know, because in no way am I trying to be disrespectful.

So as I have never done this before, I am after help, advice anything. I don't expect that it will come to fruition for a couple of years. As I have to work out the initial plan, then organise sponsors here in Australia.

My intention is that we will pay for Air fares, accommodation and food. I am sure there will be a lot of takers for this trip but I am hoping to connect with a genuine organiser who will, source out the best people for the job.

I welcome any replies.

TwoF,

A powwow may not be feasible. I think a good alternative would be to bring down powwow dancers and a drum group to demonstate powwow dances. This will cut down on expenses and logistics.

To plan a powwow, the logistics of bringing in performers across half the earth and raising funds to make it all possible will take a lot of time and organization.

I have been a part of several projects where the intention was good, but the organization lacked as to cause severe inconvenience to the performers who were stranded in a foreign country.

Just food for thought.
        Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.