Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ghost dance

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Ghost dance

    Is there such a dance called the "Ghost dance"?
    If so, what is the story behind the dance?

  • #2
    Healing Tree Herbals - I would caution you on this question - many will find it inappropriate.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Singing Eagle View Post
      Healing Tree Herbals - I would caution you on this question - many will find it inappropriate.
      I apologize, I was not trying to offend anyone.
      I honestly just wanted to know more about this dance.
      Maybe someone could help me by Pm'ing me???

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Healing Tree Herbals View Post
        I apologize, I was not trying to offend anyone.

        Maybe someone could help me by Pm'ing me???


        Healing,

        You ever heard the saying, "no mean's no?"
        Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Healing Tree Herbals View Post
          I apologize, I was not trying to offend anyone.
          I honestly just wanted to know more about this dance.
          Maybe someone could help me by Pm'ing me???
          Just use Google.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by WhoMe View Post
            Healing,

            You ever heard the saying, "no mean's no?"
            Sorry..my mouth is shut.
            I will not ask anymore questions.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Zeke View Post
              Just use Google.
              You are right.
              I guess I just wanted a personal opinion on the matter.

              I am sorry.

              Comment


              • #8
                It's not that questions aren't welcome. Just that some subjects might be out of bounds, this being one of them. Not to mention that the question is rather broad in nature.
                "It doesn't really matter, they don't know any better anyway."

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Healing Tree Herbals View Post
                  You are right.
                  I guess I just wanted a personal opinion on the matter.

                  I am sorry.
                  HTH
                  If you want a personal opinion - you should really ask someone in person. The internet is not the best place to get accurate info on anything of a spiritual nature.

                  Don't think that you are unwelcome because you asked a question like that - maybe your next questions will get a gentler reply! This forum is moderated - so that makes it safe to ask touchy things - Hobbs and I will edit the harsher replies!

                  Welcome to the board!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Singing Eagle View Post
                    HTH
                    If you want a personal opinion - you should really ask someone in person. The internet is not the best place to get accurate info on anything of a spiritual nature.

                    Don't think that you are unwelcome because you asked a question like that - maybe your next questions will get a gentler reply! This forum is moderated - so that makes it safe to ask touchy things - Hobbs and I will edit the harsher replies!

                    Welcome to the board!
                    I understand....problem is..since I don't want to offend anyone..and I don't know anyone...how am I to ask that kind of question to someone?

                    I didn't realize the ghost dance was a no-no subject. I have many more questions about the ghost dance...but...I they will have to wait for another time.

                    What I am understanding however..is religious/spiritual topics are no-no things to talk about?

                    Would it be wrong to ask "Why"?

                    P.S. thanks for the welcome.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Healing Tree Herbals View Post
                      I understand....problem is..since I don't want to offend anyone..and I don't know anyone...how am I to ask that kind of question to someone?

                      I didn't realize the ghost dance was a no-no subject. I have many more questions about the ghost dance...but...I they will have to wait for another time.

                      What I am understanding however..is religious/spiritual topics are no-no things to talk about?

                      Would it be wrong to ask "Why"?

                      P.S. thanks for the welcome.
                      HTH - this forum is an ideal place to ask as either I or Hobbs will be able to review your questions and if you like - we can give you feedback on your questions.

                      Perhaps others can help with the why part - be gentle!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Our culture has very different cast regarding intellectual property and spiritual matters. We do not spring from the same Socratic and Judeo-Christian roots.

                        I was taught that to share certain information is to dilute it or to destory its power This is not a point to be argued, for it is implicit in the metaphysical understanding of the universe with which I was raised. For me to accept otherwise is to acculturate and surrender a part of my unique Native ethos.

                        In our tradition, there are things that we do not share with all of our own people, let alone outsiders. For example, I as a woman do not know all of what men do during their ceremonies. It is not my place. We learn with our eyes and ears, not our mouth. Watch, listen, and reflect before questioning.

                        There are areas like the Ghost Dance which are very private and sensitive. For various reasons we may not even speak much among ourselves about these things.

                        Part of respecting our culture is respecting our boundaries.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by OLChemist View Post
                          Our culture has very different cast regarding intellectual property and spiritual matters. We do not spring from the same Socratic and Judeo-Christian roots.

                          I was taught that to share certain information is to dilute it or to destory its power This is not a point to be argued, for it is implicit in the metaphysical understanding of the universe with which I was raised. For me to accept otherwise is to acculturate and surrender a part of my unique Native ethos.

                          In our tradition, there are things that we do not share with all of our own people, let alone outsiders. For example, I as a woman do not know all of what men do during their ceremonies. It is not my place. We learn with our eyes and ears, not our mouth. Watch, listen, and reflect before questioning.

                          There are areas like the Ghost Dance which are very private and sensitive. For various reasons we may not even speak much among ourselves about these things.

                          Part of respecting our culture is respecting our boundaries.
                          Thank you for your answer. I respect what you have said and will try my hardest to watch and listen before I question. That's not so easy when one has so many questions, but I suppose that refines patience and respect.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by OLChemist View Post
                            Our culture has very different cast regarding intellectual property and spiritual matters. We do not spring from the same Socratic and Judeo-Christian roots.

                            I was taught that to share certain information is to dilute it or to destory its power This is not a point to be argued, for it is implicit in the metaphysical understanding of the universe with which I was raised. For me to accept otherwise is to acculturate and surrender a part of my unique Native ethos.

                            In our tradition, there are things that we do not share with all of our own people, let alone outsiders. For example, I as a woman do not know all of what men do during their ceremonies. It is not my place. We learn with our eyes and ears, not our mouth. Watch, listen, and reflect before questioning.

                            There are areas like the Ghost Dance which are very private and sensitive. For various reasons we may not even speak much among ourselves about these things.

                            Part of respecting our culture is respecting our boundaries.
                            This is a really good post from OLChemist that all spectators should read and understand. It is very important to learn with our eyes and ears and to watch, listen and reflect before raising questions.

                            The difficult thing for many outsiders such as myself is that there is not necessarily one way that things are done. While it's easy to talk about NDN's or Native People as a single culture, it is in fact, a collection of cultures and as such, one will find that what he/she watches, listens to, and reflects upon may be different from day to day and/or place to place. I mention this because it's also important that you don't jump to any conclusions too quickly. Your understanding will grow the more that you listen and see and the more places that you listen and see at.

                            I hang with many native people here in NC, I consider myself good friends with a few. But even though we may be good friends, there are subjects that we don't discuss regarding their native ways. That's cool as this is certainly their way and not mine. I'm OK with not knowing everything as I don't need to know everything about them to be friends with them and to work, dance and sing with them. If, at some point, they decide that it's important that I understand something deeper about them, they will share it in their time. Until then, if I'm asking inappropriate questions of them, they know that they can say "it's a ceremony thing" or "it's a tribal thing" or "it's a spirtual thing" and I'll change the subject.

                            So thanks for this post OLChemist! and HTH, even though you kind of started this thread way out of bounds, I appreciate that you've kept a positive attitude and are taking this thread as a learning opportunity!
                            "It doesn't really matter, they don't know any better anyway."

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Healing Tree Herbals View Post
                              Thank you for your answer. I respect what you have said and will try my hardest to watch and listen before I question. That's not so easy when one has so many questions, but I suppose that refines patience and respect.
                              I don't believe this question was inappropriate. It was very basic. Why can't we give this person a basic answer? What power could be diluted when the basic answer is all that's required?

                              The reason I'm posting is because people should be encouraged about spiritual things. Instead there really is a discouragement. It's not like a mystery, or a discussion of tribal ritual. But if she had asked something of a commercial interest, it would have been open, encouraged, appreciated, acknowledged and maybe she would have received an invitation of PM /w business card.

                              This particular nameless event which we cannot refer to, happened to be a very public event. And people from all over were even invited to it. And can I say that it was encouraged as something authentic?

                              I'm struggling to say without saying, but we promote the dream world and we avoid the real world. And we get lost, disconnected. And the world is dying and needs our help. It needs the restoration of our coming together publically, not for commerical purposes, but for authentic spiritual purposes to heal what is wounded and has been destroyed in the dream, but will always be alive and present.

                              When will we start dancing? We need to, desperately. And in order for this to happen, people need to know what it is. The history of this event was not a secret.

                              Comment

                              Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

                              widgetinstance 224 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

                              Trending

                              Collapse

                              There are no results that meet this criteria.

                              Sidebar Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X