Does Size Matter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Size Matter?

Socman in a different thread mentioned something about the "biggest powwow." It got me to thinking, does size matter when you go to a powwow? Do you prefer to go to small dances? medium sized? large? Super size my powwow?

What does small, medium and large even mean when people talk about powwows?

I've been two dances where there were multiple drums and more singers than dancers. Was that a small powwow because of the small number of dancers or was it a medium sized powwow because of the number of drums?

When going to a powwow to either participate or spectate, is it the size of the dance that matters or something else?

I'd love to hear what some of ya'll think.
    "It doesn't really matter, they don't know any better anyway."

I like powwows that have a hometown feeling and one with a Hometown Country Buffet nearby.

Comment

Originally posted by they_drag_him View Post
      I like powwows that have a hometown feeling and one with a Hometown Country Buffet nearby.
      Don't forget the Waffle House!

Comment

My favorite was all small, super small! I loved getting to sit and visit with the "elders" as we watched the kids play. It was the kind of day memories are made of. I REALLY loved the next morning when everyone managed to crawl out of bed and we all showed up to breakfast at the hotel. Hash browns, coffee, and talking about what cousin did what!
        Don't compromise yourself. It's all you've got.

Janis Joplin

Comment

I don't really care one way or another if the pow wow is big. It's the people that matter to me. Good people means a good powwow.

I've had fun at both "Big" and "Small" pow wow's. My favorite ones are the ones where my family and friends are at and we get together afterwards and visit and have fun. And where there are alot of children running around and playing. Just my opinion.

Comment

I enjoy small powwows, where everybody knows your name.... hey the Cheers theme! No really, I love the little ones, three drums, a dozen dancers, lots of spectators. Its so much more relaxed and fun to do these ones.

Comment

I love a pow-wow where my wife and kids are right along side of me!! I do prefer a traditional pow-wow over a contest anytime, and no politics please. No room for egos at a pow-wow!!
              I'm innocent I tell ya!!!

Comment

My emphasis on size, as I have now mentioned in the previous thread, is for a reason of logistics. We're simply spectators, and non-ndn, and we will only be able to make two to three pow wows this year, so we simply need to make the most of our limited experiences. While I would feel totally comfortable at any size, she is rather new to this and I want to make sure she is comfortable with it. I think she would feel less out of place in a larger crowd.
                "As through this world I've wandered, I've met lots of funny men. Some will rob you with a six-gun, and some with a fountain pen." -Woody Guthrie

Comment

Originally posted by socman View Post
                  My emphasis on size, as I have now mentioned in the previous thread, is for a reason of logistics. We're simply spectators, and non-ndn, and we will only be able to make two to three pow wows this year, so we simply need to make the most of our limited experiences. While I would feel totally comfortable at any size, she is rather new to this and I want to make sure she is comfortable with it. I think she would feel less out of place in a larger crowd.
                  Hey Socman, I didn't mean anything negative with my post. As I was reading that other thread, it hit me, I always hear people say, "Oh, you should go to XYZ. Now that's a BIG powwow." Heck, I've said it myself. Anyway, your comment got me wondering, what do I mean or what does anyone mean when they talk about big or small powwows and it is good or bad to big or small? So I didn't want to hijack your thread so I just started a new one here.

Comment

Originally posted by socman View Post
                    Originally posted by hobbs49 View Post
                    Hey Socman, I didn't mean anything negative with my post. As I was reading that other thread, it hit me, I always hear people say, "Oh, you should go to XYZ. Now that's a BIG powwow." Heck, I've said it myself. Anyway, your comment got me wondering, what do I mean or what does anyone mean when they talk about big or small powwows and it is good or bad to big or small? So I didn't want to hijack your thread so I just started a new one here.
                    It's all good
                    I'm innocent I tell ya!!!

Comment

I didn't take it as negative at all. Just wanted to give my particular meaning of size. However I will say that the subject of "does size matter"? always makes a little nervous.
                      "As through this world I've wandered, I've met lots of funny men. Some will rob you with a six-gun, and some with a fountain pen." -Woody Guthrie

Comment

Socman in a different thread mentioned something about the "biggest powwow." It got me to thinking, does size matter when you go to a powwow? Do you prefer to go to small dances? medium sized? large? Super size my powwow?

What does small, medium and large even mean when people talk about powwows?

I've been two dances where there were multiple drums and more singers than dancers. Was that a small powwow because of the small number of dancers or was it a medium sized powwow because of the number of drums?

When going to a powwow to either participate or spectate, is it the size of the dance that matters or something else?

I'd love to hear what some of ya'll think.
                        I recently attended the "Gathering of Nations Pow Wow", which is billed as the largest Pow Wow. It had it's problems. Parking cost $10, is blocks from the Pow Wow, and provides no security or lighting, and is in a chigger invested field. Our new car was used as a dressing table for some dancer, with large scratches left in the paint job. There was no place to sit when you buy food, you have to be pretty hardy to attend a large pow wow such as Gathering. The crowd was SRO, at 17K, and really, there was no place to sit, many, even elderly, were forced to stand, if they wanted to get their money's worth, even as many seats were vacant with ony blankets and junk used to reserve such seats, which should never be allowed. I left after the crowning of Miss Indian World, as there was no place to sit. Hardly getting my money's worth, and having traveled near 1000 miles to attend. I hardly think that Albuquerque has the talent and ability to put on such a large event, they lack the organization ability and the right kind of facilities. I think that Oklahoma City's "Red Earth" is a better Pow Wow, having attended both. It has indoor parking, secure parking, elevators, and a much larger facility, able to accomodate parking, concessions, vendors, shows, etc., all indoors. I guess larger is not always better, and I still enjoy attending small, local, powwows, such as the Ottowa PowWow in Miami, Oklahoma. I have also attended the Tulsa PowWow, which is excellent, all around, and the Choctaw Pow Wow, another indoor arena PowWow, which has intrusive and overbearing security, by that I mean, rentacops coming around telling people to put their camera equipment away. Overall, in my experience, I would say that "Red Earth", and "Tulsa PowWow", are excellent large venues and the smaller ones are probably excellent, for their size.

Comment

Sorry to hear about your trip gtbdave! I haven't been to GON before. Only "big, supersize" dance that I can recall was Denver March when I lived out there. I think since I lived in the area it was easier for me than other visitors. But I do remember having to sit rather high up and not really being able to see very well. That's likely why I don't appreciate the big contest dances that much either.

Comment

Sorry to hear about your trip gtbdave! I haven't been to GON before. Only "big, supersize" dance that I can recall was Denver March when I lived out there. I think since I lived in the area it was easier for me than other visitors. But I do remember having to sit rather high up and not really being able to see very well. That's likely why I don't appreciate the big contest dances that much either.
                            The trip was not a complete bust, as the Pow Wow was only part of the trip, we did see Santa fe, as well as other attractions in New Mexico. The PowWow, dancing, etc. was excellent, from what we saw, it was just the facilities and organization was just not up to standards. We bought alot of stuff, pottery, etc. as well as a nice GON jacket.

We have basically sworn off large pow wows, and will only be attending "Red Earth", and "Tulsa Pow Wow", in the future. Traveling large distances is just not worth the risk, even our purchase of advanced tickets on the internet did not help us, as we were still required to wait in long lines to get in. When people travel long distances, at significant expense, they at least expect a place to sit, cetainly after purchasing reserved tickets months in advance. We figure we lost our seats to a $2 moth eaten blanket and a bag of empty pop bottles.

Comment

Originally posted by gtbdave View Post
                              I recently attended the "Gathering of Nations Pow Wow", which is billed as the largest Pow Wow. It had it's problems. Parking cost $10, is blocks from the Pow Wow, and provides no security or lighting, and is in a chigger invested field. Our new car was used as a dressing table for some dancer, with large scratches left in the paint job. There was no place to sit when you buy food, you have to be pretty hardy to attend a large pow wow such as Gathering. The crowd was SRO, at 17K, and really, there was no place to sit, many, even elderly, were forced to stand, if they wanted to get their money's worth, even as many seats were vacant with ony blankets and junk used to reserve such seats, which should never be allowed. I left after the crowning of Miss Indian World, as there was no place to sit. Hardly getting my money's worth, and having traveled near 1000 miles to attend. I hardly think that Albuquerque has the talent and ability to put on such a large event, they lack the organization ability and the right kind of facilities. I think that Oklahoma City's "Red Earth" is a better Pow Wow, having attended both. It has indoor parking, secure parking, elevators, and a much larger facility, able to accomodate parking, concessions, vendors, shows, etc., all indoors. I guess larger is not always better, and I still enjoy attending small, local, powwows, such as the Ottowa PowWow in Miami, Oklahoma. I have also attended the Tulsa PowWow, which is excellent, all around, and the Choctaw Pow Wow, another indoor arena PowWow, which has intrusive and overbearing security, by that I mean, rentacops coming around telling people to put their camera equipment away. Overall, in my experience, I would say that "Red Earth", and "Tulsa PowWow", are excellent large venues and the smaller ones are probably excellent, for their size.
                              welcome to the "i'm never going back to GON" fanclub LOL

but i do take offence to your comment "blankets and junk" - are you aware most of the dancers bring their suitcases n cases in to carry their regalia (that they are not using) and their eagle feathers? people do bring in diaper bags for their babies .... i would never consider this .... JUNK
                              Watch your broken dreams...
                              Dance in and out of the beams of a neon moon

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X