• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cherokee-girl1967
    cherokee-girl1967
    • Jun 2008

Cherokee needs help

osiyo,

First let me start off by saying that I do not want any type of money, government assistance or anything else for being an Native American. What I am looking for is knowledge about my heritage. I have read everything online and in books, but to me learning about my heritage will come from elders not books. My grandmother use to tell me stories about my family and I was facinated, when she died I was lost. No she never said any of us were princesses or chiefs. My grandmother gave me my Cherokee name the day I was born. However my father did not want me to go by tsalaki so he named me Tonya Lynn. I am hoping someone can help me find a Cherokee group, clan, or tribe in Indiana or northern Kentucky that I can join and learn more about my heritage. If anyone knows of anything out there please contact me.

wado

tsalaki
  • cherokeemom06
    Jingling mommy....
    • Jun 2006

Good luck with this. I've been told for years that there is Cherokee blood in my family as well as Powhatan and Wyandot. A lot of the people in this area (I'm from Eastern KY) have native heritage but can't trace it because our ancestors avoided the relocations and so they aren't on the rolls. I know there is a state recognized band of Cherokee in KY but I don't know much about them. I can't trace mine so I gave up on becoming a registered member of any tribe. I know I'm native and that's what matters to me. LOL I dance don't dance for competition and money so it doesn't really matter to me.

Anyways...good luck with it all. You may want to take a look at the Trail of Tears powwow in Hopkinsville even though it is a little bit of a drive for you. I've never been but surely there may be someone there that can direct you. Good luck in your search!

Comment

• tiffany redfeather
      walk your talk
      • Jul 2006

hello Cherokee girl.

my name is tiffany, and my best advice is to find the tribe your grandma came from and what clan she was.

do you know the name that is on your grandmothers birth certificate? that would help majorly! from what i hear it makes looking up the tribe an what rezervation they are on more fluid than rocky.

you might find some elders that like company since the younger generation is too buisy with technology or friends to listen an learn. Proving yourself as a good person, i know can be hard as i am also always learning about tradition. Some will give you dirty looks, make fun of you, down grade you call you a poser and what not. ive been through it as well. it still hurts, but ive gotten used to it. stay strong.

if you are respectful an show an interest to better yourself im sure someone will adopt you sweety.

respect is the biggest thing... good luck
      In the spirit of Crazy Horse...

sometimes you have to live life as if what everyone else thinks does not matter, but is still a factor...
      that even though you think you are so lost, you may be found...
      no matter what comes in your life, it will be over come...
      and that the real reason that you live is for love, and finding inner peace...
      live free for what its worth an never let life hold you back from living
      One person can make a difference----lets all of us give it a try.--- john f. Kennedy

other places u can find me...

]htt://www.myspace.com/hawkredfeather630
      www.facebook.com/redfeather630

Comment

• steelemagnolia63
        AKA...Falling Leaves
        • May 2007

Unless you know a lot of info about your family you are going to have a diffcult time finding out clan info and things like that. Most Cherokee that are not on the rolls went underground to avoid forced relocation to OK, and did not over the generations keep the information and tradiions alive.... so on that note I wish you luck on your quest....

I wish that I knew someone in your area to help you learn. You might find someone at a gathering in your area that can help you learn our ways.... be respectful and humble and someone might take you under their wing....
        Thankful for the blessing from the Creator in my life!!!!

Life should not be measured by the number of things that we aquire on our journey but by the number of lives that we touch along that road.

I am a bridge on the red path between my ancestors and the future. I am a bridge between my white heritage and my native heritage. A bridge joins two sides together and provides a way to move on..... A.K. O'Pry-Reynolds

Comment

• neling4
          Eskimo wannabe
          • Nov 2007

Originally posted by cherokeemom06 View Post
          Good luck with this. I've been told for years that there is Cherokee blood in my family as well as Powhatan and Wyandot. A lot of the people in this area (I'm from Eastern KY) have native heritage but can't trace it because our ancestors avoided the relocations and so they aren't on the rolls. I know there is a state recognized band of Cherokee in KY but I don't know much about them. I can't trace mine so I gave up on becoming a registered member of any tribe. I know I'm native and that's what matters to me. LOL I dance don't dance for competition and money so it doesn't really matter to me.

Anyways...good luck with it all. You may want to take a look at the Trail of Tears powwow in Hopkinsville even though it is a little bit of a drive for you. I've never been but surely there may be someone there that can direct you. Good luck in your search!
          cherokeemom06,

My family is also from Eastern Kentucky, from Whitesburg. My grandma grew up there, as did my dad. My grandma's family is Cherokee. They were originally from North Carolina, then bought land in Virginia, near the border of Virginia and Eastern Kentucky. My grandma's parents moved to Kentucky before she was born.

I find it interesting that so many Cherokee ended up in the same general area, and yet there seems to be no historical references to what must have been something of a large emigration.

Comment

• Josiah
            Powwow Dude
            • Jun 2005

Originally posted by cherokee-girl1967 View Post
            osiyo,

First let me start off by saying that I do not want any type of money, government assistance or anything else for being an Native American. What I am looking for is knowledge about my heritage. I have read everything online and in books, but to me learning about my heritage will come from elders not books. My grandmother use to tell me stories about my family and I was facinated, when she died I was lost. No she never said any of us were princesses or chiefs. My grandmother gave me my Cherokee name the day I was born. However my father did not want me to go by tsalaki so he named me Tonya Lynn. I am hoping someone can help me find a Cherokee group, clan, or tribe in Indiana or northern Kentucky that I can join and learn more about my heritage. If anyone knows of anything out there please contact me.

wado

tsalaki
            Are you looking for more information about your Ancestry?
            You will need specific Names and Dates

As for looking for Groups,clan or Tribe in Indiana
            Beware who you will find
            especially those that ask you for "donations"

The Actual tribes of Cherokees Live in Oklahoma and North Carolina. Perhaps you can find an individual that may help you help but again beware whom you seek

As for the name TSALAKI
            Is this the name you heard you grandmother call you?
            Because Phonetically it means the People
            and it would be spelled TSALAGI
            Pronounced: Chuh-Lah-Gee sometimes it is sounded with a K sound like KEE : Chuh-Lah-Kee
            ᎠᏂᎩᏚᏩᎩ - Anigiduwagi
            Till I Die!

Comment

• hobbs49
              Holy Indian Taco Batman!
              • Sep 2003

Growing up in Indiana, I remember that there used to be a group called Midwest Cherokee Alliance. Don't know much about them or if they even exist anymore. As Josiah said, be careful. I'm not so sure that the MCA was that picky about who they called members.
              "It doesn't really matter, they don't know any better anyway."

Comment

• Wojapi4Me
                Kili!
                • Oct 2001

Avoid any group claiming to be Cherokee. There are three Cherokee tribes: Eastern Band of Cherokee in NC, Cherokee Nation in OK, and the United Keetoowah Band in OK. Go to these three places and learn from them.

Otherwise, you're just getting a very watered down, at best, version of Cherokee culture and heritage from people who probably learned about it on the internet - same as yourself.

These websites may be of some help:

Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians in North Carolina

Cherokee Nation
                I think everyone on this rez is addicted to Harry Potter...lol...

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.