blocked off eh
    probly a whistle song going on
    or not...a dropped feather?

for sure any spectator
    would be blocked from a whistle song tho

Leave a comment:

• socman
    replied
    I went to Quapaw last month and the way that place is layed out, I'm not sure that there is a seat you can't see from.

Socman makes mental note: "next year go to Quapaw."

Leave a comment:

• hobbs49
    replied
    Originally posted by ~Journey~ View Post
    I may misunderstand the question... but could it be you did not get your umbrella and seat set up early enough... Hey , it happens
    That's the way that I read it too. Early birds come in, set up their insta-shades around the arena and pretty soon, it's like, I can't see! Especially true during grand entry, etc. when a first timer has the best chance to be impressed and learn about the different dance styles from the MC.

I went to Quapaw last month and the way that place is layed out, I'm not sure that there is a seat you can't see from.

Leave a comment:

• tigger
    replied
    must have been a Va pow wow..you see it alot here, where the AD won't let you in unless your in dance clothes, unless it's a round dance or two step........ don't know why they do that, except that out here they treat more like a show then a social gathering.......

Leave a comment:

• ~Journey~
    replied
    I may misunderstand the question... but could it be you did not get your umbrella and seat set up early enough... Hey , it happens

Leave a comment:

• owlsong
    replied
    Closed arena

Perhaps an eagle feather fell or this was during a jingle dress dance, both would close the arena to outsiders in this area.

Leave a comment:

• gtbdave
    replied
    Originally posted by jester View Post
    i attended my first pow wow and noticed that the native americans encircled the dance area and blocked off the area for non native americans. i was wondering if this was typical or did i just happen on a seclusive event.
    I think that's fairly typical, some of the more crafty Native Americans like to get the softer dance spots. Once they get a path beaten down, they like to stick to it. Some like to get up real close so they can hear the drum beat, especially when they are using those small drums with the little twigs to beat on them with.

Leave a comment:

• they_drag_him
    replied
    i attended my first pow wow and noticed that the native americans encircled the dance area and blocked off the area for non native americans. i was wondering if this was typical or did i just happen on a seclusive event.
    You left out the details and the specifics. From what I can tell, the non-natives were probably being round up for bow and arrow target practice, lol.

Leave a comment:

• WhoMe
    replied

jest,

I've never seen it. I have seen a few dance arenas that were roped off where only dancers were allowed.

How do you know that the people inside the encircled dance arena were all native americans?

Where was this dance at?

Leave a comment:

• socman
    replied
    Specifics please? Define "blocked off". Were you trying to dance?, or just a spectator. Dancers always get the "up front" seating. Um...not sure what you mean.

Leave a comment:

• timmy tiger
    replied
    I've never seen that happen at a pow wow ever. Maybe there was something else going on and you might not have realized it being that it was your first time.

All the ones that I've ever gone to they invite the spectators to dance during intertribals or the "Friendship" dance which usually happens about once a day.

Leave a comment:

• jester
    started a topic pow wows

pow wows

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
Working...
X