Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You Know The Pow-Wow Festival In Steinbourg, France?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You Know The Pow-Wow Festival In Steinbourg, France?

It may surprise you, a pow-wow festival located in steinbourg france the first where i discover this, its a surprise, but you i know it?

Welcome to powwows.com

It does not surprise most of us. We are well aware of European hobbyists. Ever since the Wild West shows, maybe even before, there were groups of Europeans dressing up and pretending to be Indians. If you ask various Indian people you will get a range of opinions. However, you may not like to hear many of them.

German hobbyists

German hobbyists 2

UK hobbyists

German hobbyists 3

Polish hobbyists

European powwows

These are just a few threads from the past.

Comment

Hobbyistes??
      For Me NO, Because There Clothing/Regalia Is Correct, It's Are Professional, Like If Are Not Native.
      But Me, I'm A Hobbyiste/Passioned?!

There A Big Margin, Between External And My Internal.

Comment

Originally posted by chezsick View Post
        Hobbyistes??

For Me NO, Because There Clothing/Regalia Is Correct, It's Are Professional, Like If Are Not Native.
        Bear with me, please. I am having some trouble understanding your post. I think you are saying that you do not see the non-Indian people at this festival as hobbyists because you perceive their regalia as looking like Indian made regalia.

In this context, hobbyist has a very specific meaning. It does not mean amateur or unskilled. The term hobbyist, in this case, means a non-Indian person who studies Native peoples and their cultures as a hobby. Many go beyond studying to imitation.

I know hobbyists who have spent decades studying Native material culture. They make powwow regalia that -- except where eagle feathers would be used -- is indistinguishable from Native made artworks. But at the end of the day, they are not part of an Indian community.

I know non-Indian people who are enmeshed in Indian communities, who have been taught our arts and make regalia. I know non-Indian people who have been honored by being brought into the dance circle and participate in powwows with their friends and relatives. For the most part these people are not considered hobbyists, because they are non-Indian people who have been made part of an Indian community.

Perception of the correctness of regalia is relative. I make regalia and have been doing so for some decades. I looked at that website. All the folks in the pictures I saw in the powwow section would catch my eye if they were in the crowd at a powwow in the states. Not because of their skin color or facial hair, but because there is something off about their outfits. Some are dressed like it is the 1800's. They would look as out of place as historic reenactors wandering around a modern shopping district. Others have mixed different tribal styles or different dance styles. Still others have studied Hollywood movies more than modern powwow clothes. Some have almost got the look right but there are often still subtle things that are off. (On guy has his feathers turned over, so the underside faces out.) And a couple of folks are wearing or carrying items the use of which is restricted in our community to members of certain societies.

Are you trying to say you feel Indian in your heart?

As BrokenArrow will tell you, come Christmas market time I feel German in my heart. Or at least in my stomach. Please pass the zimtsterne and the lebkuchen plΓ€tzchen. :)
        ​
        Last edited by OLChemist; 12-05-2022, 02:21 PM.

Comment

Hobbyistes??

You look correct to me. πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman

Comment

In the picture on the left, it looks like you're wearing an authentic native thong!

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman

Comment

Hi Joe's Dad, Welcome!, But, Why A Native Thong? NO, This Back Is A Bustle
              Then You Say My Look Is Correct But With Emote Laugh, I Hope You DO NOT Mocked?
              After My Left Foot Is Hidden Because I Wrong In Mask.

Comment

Let me try, without being harsh, to critique your dressage. Your craft work on your bustle is nice. Now, the critical critique.

Wait. Let me ask you a question. What is your purpose of wearing feathers on your back?

Mr. Rossie Freeman

Comment

Chezsick, I'm not trying to be mean but I am trying to understand your motivation. Why are you doing this? Why do you want to dance? What does it mean to you? Joe's Dad is asking an important question.

Dance regalia doesn't start with a fancy dress costume. Please understand, our clothing isn't a costume. This is like me deciding I want to be a Brenton dance hobbyist and starting my outfit with a French maid costume.​

For inspiration look at some of these pictures. Look at your outfit and see if you can see where your work differs.

Gathering of Nations 2022

Black Hills Powwow 2022

You might want to get this book: Northern Traditional Dancer

Powwow clothes take a substantial investment in time, effort and money. People work on their outfits for years, while they learn to dance and learn their responsibilities in the circle. The pieces of an outfit have meaning. To quote a famous dancer these things adorn our spirit.

Part of many women's dance regalia are a number of items that are attached to her belt. In the old days, these cases held tools women used. But now they symbolize aspects of a woman's role in our societies. One of these is an awl case. I was taught this represented a woman's obligation and privilege contribute the labor of her hands to her kin and her tribe. Another is a strikes a light case, which used to hold a flint and steel or matches. I was taught in the old days a woman kindled a fire in the center of the tipi, which was the center of the home. A woman dances with the case to remind her that as a woman she builds the center of the family (tiyospaye). Another is a knife sheath. I was taught that in the past, the woman used this knife to butcher animals, prepare hides, and cook meals. This is worn to remind you that you are a partner in providing for your family and tribe. All of these items serve to remind a woman of her power and her key place in the extended family and tribe.

Do you see that there is more to dance regalia than meets the eye?

Comment

> "Wait. Let me ask you a question. What is your purpose of wearing feathers on your back?"
                    because without with one feather yellow only in head, im null
                    and if you think i dance yes and no, yes it's rarely for the fun and no i playing music with native flute and other andean flutes etc.
                    please see my video for the 100 subs (French) it's begin fancy bustle then northen bustle then a video game is out of scope/subject
                    and if you want know what bustle i buy :::::: Native Ventures
                    Last edited by chezsick; 12-11-2022, 11:17 AM. Reason: i forget it what language

Comment

> "Wait. Let me ask you a question. What is your purpose of wearing feathers on your back?"
                      because without with one feather yellow only in head, im null
                      and if you think i dance yes and no, yes it's rarely for the fun and no i playing music with native flute and other andean flutes etc.
                      please see my video for the 100 subs (French) it's begin fancy bustle then northen bustle then a video game is out of scope/subject
                      and if you want know what bustle i buy :::::: Native Ventures
                      I asked, specifically, why do you wear feathers on your back?

Mr. Rossie Freeman

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.