Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anybody help identify dancers?

Hello all,

I'm new to this site and relatively new to pow wows in general. I'm an amateur photographer with an interest in the southwest and the historical sites and cultures within the region. A couple years ago I attended my first pow wow in Malibu, California and was very moved by what I saw; not just in terms of the stunning visuals but in the cultural significance. It's a relief to know that modern "progress" hasn't completely stamped out traditional ways. I started searching online to find information on the styles of dances and came across this site. It's amazing, and almost too much to take in.

I have some of my work posted on my website. (and let me assure everybody that the photos are not being offered for sale.) I would ideally like to be able to identify and credit the dancers and add any information concerning tribal affiliations and dance/regalia. A friend of mine who helps organize the Malibu pow wow has helped me with a few names, and has enlisted the help of dancers that she knows. Still, I realize I need a much larger network in order to identify many of the dancers in my photos. I photograph in southern California, but I realize that many dancers travel quite a distance to attend pow wows. If anybody out there can help me with names and if possible, contact information of any dancers I would be extremely appreciative.

One particular dancer I have been trying to contact is a gentleman named Dean Webster (Ojibwe/Oneida). If anybody could help put me in touch with him please let me know.

The photos can be seen here:
    Jim Shoemaker Photography- powered by SmugMug

I can be reached via private message or though the email link on the website. If you discover that you are featured in one or more of the photos, please contact me and I'll be happy to send you some prints.

Thanks to all in advance. I look forward to learning authentic facts about Native American culture from this site.

You might try contacting the Morongo Powwow Committee. He's a registered contest dancer wearing a number. While that doesn't automatically mean they'll reveal anything right off the bat (with respect to his privacy) if you explain to them what you want and why, maybe they'll try to help you out somehow.
    "Friends don't let friends drink decaf..."
    Wakalapi's $49 unlimited phone service www.49deal.com

Comment

Originally posted by Wakalapi View Post
      You might try contacting the Morongo Powwow Committee. He's a registered contest dancer wearing a number. While that doesn't automatically mean they'll reveal anything right off the bat (with respect to his privacy) if you explain to them what you want and why, maybe they'll try to help you out somehow.
      That's a good idea. Thanks for the suggestion.

Comment

That's a good idea. Thanks for the suggestion.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X