Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wut do you think about European Pow Wows?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wut do you think about European Pow Wows?

K, dropping a bomb here,,,hehe!
    After spending 11 yrs with the Native Community I returned home to Sweden only to find that there's lots of European "Pow Wows" goin' on in England, Germany, Poland etc. After the initial "Whaaaaaat??" I started snooping around on the internet about all of this. Personally I'm embarrassed. I've also seen a few white Americans running sweats and Sundances for a fee in Sweden, Denmark & England- these guys I've bombarded with questions (childish? Pherhaps, but I can't shut up?).

I'm an author, and I feel the need to write a book for the folks over here about how easy it is to disrespect a culture. From one pale-face to another so to speak (LOL!). To me it's playing indian (I am so gonna get whooped, but be aware that I'm not speaking to the non- Natives that were brought into a Community, but to the ones who have never even been to one).

I've read a couple of posts already (one was bout some Jingle Dress dancing in Poland) but I want to let you all know that I will listen to all opinions, I want many (!) and I will listen to both sides, but ultimately I will use your replies as support for my book. There are people over here who will never listen, but there are many more who will if given a chance. Those are the ones I will write to.

Ok, your turn!

As an NDN, I don't think I've ever agreed with a white person more then just now.

I think your book is a good idea BUT be CAREFUL! Make sure it comes out clear that your one white gal talking to another, your interpretation of what your people are doing, then maybe add interviews and quotes on the subject from NDN's. I'm sure you can find plenty who'd like to tell how they feel on the subject.

Comment

couple years ago a fella put together a book of essays on pow-wows, and one chapter talked about pow-wows in Germany, you might want to check that out.

That being said, I gotta do a big WTF?

Comment

I agree, be careful (speaking as a Scot/Finn white girl). Yes, there are some people doing just the same plastic-shaman type stuff as here, but in general, particularly in Germany, it is out of genuine (if misguided) fascination. "American Cowboys & Indians" genre (please excuse the expression) is HUGE in Europe, has been for a long looooong time, it's nothing new! They have huge fan conventions for "Gunsmoke," "Bonanza" and other shows even today.

Remember that 90%+ of people in those countries are probably never going to come to a real PW in the USA. Heck, 90%+ of white AMERICANS don't. If they're truly and genuinely interested, they can find powwows.com too!

Do write and teach about 'the real thing' but don't lambast people -- it's the same thing as what you're decrying, barging in on another country's interpretation (even if it's wrong) and yelling righteously! I support the project idea, though -- particularly in the case of educating those who might come over to the USA and encounter 'the real thing.'

Comment

Originally posted by lena.svensson11 View Post
          After spending 11 yrs with the Native Community I returned home to Sweden only to find that there's lots of European "Pow Wows" goin' on in England, Germany, Poland etc. After the initial "Whaaaaaat??" I started snooping around on the internet about all of this. Personally I'm embarrassed. I've also seen a few white Americans running sweats and Sundances for a fee in Sweden, Denmark & England- these guys I've bombarded with questions (childish? Pherhaps, but I can't shut up?).

I'm an author, and I feel the need to write a book for the folks over here about how easy it is to disrespect a culture. From one pale-face to another so to speak (LOL!). To me it's playing indian (I am so gonna get whooped, but be aware that I'm not speaking to the non- Natives that were brought into a Community, but to the ones who have never even been to one).

I've read a couple of posts already (one was bout some Jingle Dress dancing in Poland) but I want to let you all know that I will listen to all opinions, I want many (!) and I will listen to both sides, but ultimately I will use your replies as support for my book. There are people over here who will never listen, but there are many more who will if given a chance. Those are the ones I will write to.

Ok, your turn!
          I didn't know they even existed.
          How long has this been going on?
          And you're right; they should stop doing this emmeadiatly; it's very emabarresing.
          A "pow-wow" put together entirely by non-Native Americans, and attended only by Non-NAs?
          God lord.
          No wonder lots of NAs think that Whites just want to cash-in on their culture.
          Whoever cooked up this cash-cow idea, should be drug out into the street and shot.
          (I'm Irish, by the way).
          I'm not responsible for my actions, I just do what the voices tell me to do.

Comment

Lena,

Tak!

There are many Native communities in the America's. Which one were you at?

I've attended a couple of lectures and seminars from Europeans concerning powwows. I've met European Indian entusiasts from Denmark, Poland, England, The Netherlands, Germany, Italy and Spain. You're the first European that has expressed embarrassment.

I'm always interested in learning more about the evolution of powwows. Let's talk?
            Last edited by WhoMe; 02-18-2009, 03:38 PM.
            Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

If a tree falls in the woods....

Originally posted by lena.svensson11 View Post

Ok, your turn!
              You know that old one about how if a tree falls and there is no one there to hear it, does it make any sound? Following that premise....

Maybe its not a powwow if there aren't any NDN's there.

The way I see it, if a bunch of dumb *** white people are out there dancing around without any of us being there, then its just a fool's gathering.

There's no spirit there, just imitation.. I am not saying this is harmless - its not right.

But is it powwow?

Not in my book....
              Because of our treaty status, the distinction of being 'Cherokee' is a status of citizenship, not a racial issue.

Comment

Originally posted by SpanishSteel View Post
                Do write and teach about 'the real thing' but don't lambast people -- it's the same thing as what you're decrying, barging in on another country's interpretation (even if it's wrong) and yelling righteously! I support the project idea, though -- particularly in the case of educating those who might come over to the USA and encounter 'the real thing.'
                Do NOT follow this advice!

It's not your place to reach about the real thing, and it's not spanish steele's either!

You had it right in the first post. Keep it to what your people are doing and how you feel about. You can get Native quotes from Native people on the subject to add to it.

Comment

OK people, see for yourself.

Poland @ europeanpowwows.com - A Bravenet.com Hosted Site

There is a video on the site so everyone can see what is going on. I must admit, some of these girls do it better then the girls in Ohio!

Watch the video and tell us what you think.
                  Don't ask me what I think about something unless you want a truthful anwser. It may not be the anwser you are looking for.

It's better to fly with the eagles then drive with the turkeys.

Duct tape has a light side and dark side that binds our universe together.

Bad attatude lessons available here. To inquire, Check the box to the right. []

Comment

Well...I'm no powwow expert. I've only danced once, although I have attended a few.

I would say that I can't understand anyone wanting to imitate a culture that isn't their own, but in my youth, I had a fascination with the Japanese culture. I read everything I could find on Japan. I bought rice paper and painted on it in what I thought was a Japanese style. I arranged flowers in the Japanese manner. I redecorated my room Japanese-like. I even had a one-way conversation with a Japanese lady, before she used her butt to knock me off the bench we were sharing to make room for her large family. (No doubt some obscure Japanese custom)

Then I decided to learn Japanese, and that's when I came to my senses.

I AM NOT JAPANESE!

Besides, Japanese is way too hard a language for me to learn. lol!

I think it is kind of embarrassing, and I would prefer they demonstrate their own culture.
                    Last edited by neling4; 02-26-2009, 12:04 PM. Reason: Claification.

Comment

Do NOT follow this advice!

It's not your place to reach about the real thing...

Agree.

You know, there are NDNs who aren't even qualified to teach about the real thing (myself included). Stick with what you actually know (not what you think you know), and you'll be ok. Good luck with the book.

Comment

Originally posted by TKMJ Productions View Post
                        OK people, see for yourself.

Poland @ europeanpowwows.com - A Bravenet.com Hosted Site

There is a video on the site so everyone can see what is going on. I must admit, some of these girls do it better then the girls in Ohio!

Watch the video and tell us what you think.
                        Oh dear god, that is mortifying.
                        Those idiots are disrespecting NA culture, are making complete fools of themselves, and are an embarresment to White people all over the world.
                        I'm not responsible for my actions, I just do what the voices tell me to do.

Comment

I agree with Suzz.... not your place to teach.....
                          Thankful for the blessing from the Creator in my life!!!!

Life should not be measured by the number of things that we aquire on our journey but by the number of lives that we touch along that road.

I am a bridge on the red path between my ancestors and the future. I am a bridge between my white heritage and my native heritage. A bridge joins two sides together and provides a way to move on..... A.K. O'Pry-Reynolds

Comment

Originally posted by Bodica View Post
                            Oh dear god, that is mortifying.
                            Those idiots are disrespecting NA culture, are making complete fools of themselves, and are an embarresment to White people all over the world.
                            I'll give those girls at least some credit for doing some research but not much. There are some wannabi here in Ohio who look worse and have better access to information. They have real NDNs doing shawl in the same circle.

Go figure!
                            Don't ask me what I think about something unless you want a truthful anwser. It may not be the anwser you are looking for.

It's better to fly with the eagles then drive with the turkeys.

Duct tape has a light side and dark side that binds our universe together.

Bad attatude lessons available here. To inquire, Check the box to the right. []

Comment

Hey Suzzzzzzz I know a bit about this, I nearly cried when I saw this! I agree with you 100% on this!

These people have lost faith in their own lives and look for pleasure here and don't realize what they are doing other than adding insults to the past injury!
                              Listen to my heart, not just my mouth! The most powerfull thing we can do is,,,share,,, if we don't it dies with us.

It is the year of the bear, I am sharpening my claws and will no longer tollerate harrassment.

Born in Winnipeg raised in the Pikwakanagan, Deutschland was never home! Army brat that had no choice in a parents duties to home and country. I Too Serve our flag and work for the uniform.
                              Stand behind our troops or stand IN FRONT of them.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.