This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boy Scouts at pow wows

Hi What are you guys opinions of having boy scouts dressed in proper regalia and obeying "powwow etiquitte" at pow wows??
    And I realize not all of them do act respectfully but how do yall feel bout the ones that are??

the fact that they are non-native and in regalia (proper or otherwise) is what we consider disrespectful. So basically most of us don't see any of them as respectful. Also most of them disrespect this popular opinion and argue it or ignore it and continue on in their mocary.

Comment

Originally posted by FeatherDancerbjc View Post
      Hi What are you guys opinions of having boy scouts dressed in proper regalia and obeying "powwow etiquitte" at pow wows??
      And I realize not all of them do act respectfully but how do yall feel bout the ones that are??
      There has been pages and pages of threads posted about this!!!
      Overwhelming Majority say this is not a good thing to put it mildly...
      ᎠᏂᎩᏚᏩᎩ - Anigiduwagi
      Till I Die!

Comment

Do you mean their order of arrow stuff?

Comment

do you mean their Order of Arrow stuff?

Comment

is this really necessary?

Comment

Originally posted by thewowinpowwow View Post
              is this really necessary?
              what do you mean?
              There is only one success; to be able to live your life in your own way.

Comment

I personally am in favor of the Boy Scouts participating and learning about our ways. My father was a lifetime boy scout who started out dancing in the Order of the Arrow. If it weren't for the Boy Scouts and going to the "Indian" pow wows he would have never met his Pawnee "sisters", he would also have never met my mother who is full blooded indian. Since my mothers family never danced, if it weren't for the boy scouts I would not have been raised in the Circle. If it weren't for the boy scouts my "son", who has no Indian blood, who is a champion Straight Dancer that has competed against indian and non-indian, would not be the man he is today. Even though my father has been gone for more than 15 years this "BOY SCOUT" is still well remembered and respected by everyone in the pow-wow world who has ever met him. So next time you see a Boy Scout at a dance instead of turning your nose up at him take the time to get to know him. You never know what the results might be.

Comment

thats not exactly leavin me in a rush to dust off my pom poms & cheer the boyscouts.

Comment

Originally posted by SuzzeQ4 View Post
                    thats not exactly leavin me in a rush to dust off my pom poms & cheer the boyscouts.
                    I don't think that jrm was asking for you to cheer the boy scouts. I think their point was that they had a positive experience and they wanted to share it with others.

As Josiah has mentioned there are bits upon bytes of opinions on this topic here and, to be honest, it wouldn't be powwows.com to me if there weren't an active discussion on this subject. But if anyone wants it to stop, the easiest way is to simply not respond to the initial post the next time.
                    "It doesn't really matter, they don't know any better anyway."

Comment

Originally posted by jrm View Post
                      If it weren't for the boy scouts my "son", who has no Indian blood, who is a champion Straight Dancer that has competed against indian and non-indian, would not be the man he is today.
                      Really , a Champion, with no Blood , Where?
                      Respectfully submitted

Sniff, SNiff, SNIFF

I smell entitlement issues
                      "Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is." JW

Comment

This is a touchy subject, and I am not one to stay away from something that I feel strongly about. I have to ask whose traditions do they learn? What tribe did dress like in their regalia?? Pan-indian is not a tribe.

So once again we have that burning issue of the "one size fits all " indians...
                        Last edited by steelemagnolia63; 04-07-2009, 02:48 PM.
                        Thankful for the blessing from the Creator in my life!!!!

Life should not be measured by the number of things that we aquire on our journey but by the number of lives that we touch along that road.

I am a bridge on the red path between my ancestors and the future. I am a bridge between my white heritage and my native heritage. A bridge joins two sides together and provides a way to move on..... A.K. O'Pry-Reynolds

Comment

I just do not and will never understand why non-natives feel it necessary to put on regalia to attend a powwow. Why can't just you go without trying to play dress-up? Boyscout or not....just go and enjoy and learn from what you see. That's respectful.
                          "To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible." ~St. Augustine

Comment

Originally posted by shadowoman View Post
                            Do you mean their order of arrow stuff?
                            Yea that is what i was referng to

Comment

Ive no problem with it , last pow-wow I went to scouts ran the main food booth and they did an outstanding job. NOw I didnt see any of them dancing wich is a whole other topic. I will add that my 2 big boys are scouts one cub and one is a Boy Scout. And I couldnt be prouder of them and what they have done so far. Im dreading the latter parts of scouting ,wich I will tackle when the time comes. But so far its been great.
                              I got a fevah! And the only cure is more cowbell!!!

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X