My First Pow wow Since I was Little!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My First Pow wow Since I was Little!

Ok so i'm going to the Kawoni Social in Columbus, Ohio tommorow and it will be my first pow wow (since i was little and can't remember well) and I'm very excited :) Any tips on what to make sure I see/ ask/ things to do??? Never been to a pow wow that I can really remember so fill me in!!

I maybe opening a can of worms but why a powwow in Ohio?????? Why not a powwow in the west or north. Sometime ppl on the east coast get carried away from traditions and it turns into a big wannabe/hobbyist powwow. Dont get me wrong I have good friends that dance in and around ohio, some powwows are not bad and some are!!! Just becareful when attending a powwow out east. I know that some ppl will disgree and I respect that, we are all human and created by the Creator, and no two ppl are like.
    Dance hard like there is no tomrrow. Hoka!

Being Native American isn't JUST about blood. It is a Spiritual way of life.

"Tell me and I will listen, Show me and I will understand, Take me in and I will learn." -A Lakota proverb

“We need to start standing up to people who tell us ‘no,’ that we can’t do things in the way of our culture.” -Aloysius Dreaming Bear

Comment

Originally posted by Jadenia View Post
      Ok so i'm going to the Kawoni Social in Columbus, Ohio tommorow and it will be my first pow wow (since i was little and can't remember well) and I'm very excited :) Any tips on what to make sure I see/ ask/ things to do??? Never been to a pow wow that I can really remember so fill me in!!
      Are you at the PW, or did you go already?
      sigpic

Comment

you can do no wrong in ohio. just make sure to enter in the arena with a shawl during intertribals. native americans account for 0.2% of the population so expect to see a lot of non-idigenous people pretending to be native.
        Wanjica Infinity No One

Comment

um

well ohio is where i live and i really dont have money to travel yet :( so I have to do and be happy with what i got right? but I didnt even get to go today (its only one day thing) I came out ready and rarin to go and my car was leakin oil. so yay. I was so mad and i dont get mad often! but it made me mad I was so looking forward to it! Next pow wow i guess :( I'm so sad. Well so you mentioned a shawl? Can I make it ? I dont have alot of money times are tough so i def cant buy one, should i look at the crafts forum and ask how to make a shawl? Or would it just make me look like a "wanna be" to? I'm not a wanna be I just respect the native ways very much so and I do have little native in me (might have more but i'm saying little for now cuz i do know i have a little bit in me-- still reseraching my fathers side--he was adopted) so um what u think?

Comment

Originally posted by wanjica_the_one View Post
            you can do no wrong in ohio. just make sure to enter in the arena with a shawl during intertribals. native americans account for 0.2% of the population so expect to see a lot of non-idigenous people pretending to be native.
            Jadenia, you should check out the NAICCO (Native American Indian Center of Central Ohio). Carol Welsh, the Executive Director of NAICCO, is part of the .2% ndn population of Ohio. There is a list of powwows on their site.

Last edited by neling4; 04-03-2011, 01:33 AM. Reason: Forgot to post the links.

Comment

Yes, you cam make a shawl yourself, super simple.
              Buy two yards of 60" wide fabric, hem, and add fringe.
              Look for the fringe threads in the craft forum.
              ...it is what it is...

Comment

Originally posted by wyo_rose View Post
                Yes, you cam make a shawl yourself, super simple.
                Buy two yards of 60" wide fabric, hem, and add fringe.
                Look for the fringe threads in the craft forum.
                Pshhht...tell her it's ok to buy the cloth at WAL-MART!!! hahahaaa

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman

Comment

awesome

thanks so much for the site Neling!

Rose, thanks for the tip on a shawl now do I put any design on it or leave it blank? I dont wanna put design on it and it disrespectfuul in any kinda of way or it be inappropriate?

Comment

thanks so much for the site Neling!

Rose, thanks for the tip on a shawl now do I put any design on it or leave it blank? I dont wanna put design on it and it disrespectfuul in any kinda of way or it be inappropriate?
                    No design.

Comment

Things to do and see.

A must, eat some fry bread!! Other than that, meet people there, watch and listen and learn. If you make new fiends you might be able to borrow a shawl during the dance.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.