feathers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• feathers

ok, i understand that feathers, especially from certain eagles are sacred for religious purposes. (some tribes??) my question is how or why is 'registration'(??} of each one tolerated or is that still done?? do the freds really have jurisdiction over religious ceremony on tribal lands?? is there a registration fee (read tax) on each one or am i misinformed??

if you are gifted with a feather from an eagle out in the middle of nowhere, do you just walk away??
    i know they're endangered and protected and all to prevent deliberate harvesting but really??

i hope for an education on the subject!!
    So long!! Thanks for the frybread!!

Yes, in the US ownership of eagle feathers is restricted to enrolled members of federally recognized tribes. You are required to have a permit for your feathers. Feathers and body parts from salvaged carcasses are issued to qualified applicants by the National Eagle Repository. (There is a pilot program establishing programs for the feathers and parts of other species restricted under the MBTA.)

Federal Eagle Repository

Unfortunately, the restrictions on eagle feathers imposed by the BGEPA are necessary in the face of habitat loss, hunting, and pesticide-induced losses. Like most laws, it is less than prefect. But until there is a fast flawless way of determining a feather was naturally molted and the law is amended, feathers must be left where they fall.

Not just eagle feathers are restricted. Most people are unaware that possession of the feathers of the vast majority of species of wild birds is illegal under the MBTA. If I am not mistaken, this law has its roots in protecting a type of egret or heron that was hunted to the edge of extinction for decorating ladies hats.

Does it impose a restriction on religious practice? Yes. But in my opinion, not as great a burden as land use and access issues that arise from the huge differences in fundamental religious worldviews between the New World and the Old.
    Last edited by OLChemist; 05-04-2013, 03:38 PM. Reason: Grammar

Comment

feathers

Woof!! thank you for a very well wrote and informative reply.... do you know if ravens and/or crows are on that list??

Comment

One other point about the Eagle Permit
        Once you apply for the permit and receive it
        The permit is good for life
        And more importantly to apply for an eagle or parts are free
        The shipping to you is free

http://www.fws.gov/forms/3-200-15a.pdf
        ᎠᏂᎩᏚᏩᎩ - Anigiduwagi
        Till I Die!

Comment

feathers

woof!! i'm still in shock and awe at the obvious patience and fortitude required to acquire a feather (or more).... waiting up to 5 YEARS!! woof again!! it adds a whole nuther level of apprecation of the efforts put into regalia. i'd bet that most visitors to powwows have no clue of these requirements therefore inadaquate apprecation.....

Comment

Originally posted by Muttly View Post
            Woof!! thank you for a very well wrote and informative reply.... do you know if ravens and/or crows are on that list??
            Yes. Most indigenous bird species in North America are.

List of birds protected by the MBTA

Comment

Originally posted by Muttly View Post
              Ravens and crows are on the list. You can look up all the protected birds here:http://www.pacificwildlife.org/info/.../fmbtalist.pdf

Comment

feathers

whoops, dang!! ok, what is the right thing to do with this beautiful Raven feather that i picked up in my ignorance.... i already knew not to pick up all the Golden and Bald feathers around....

BTW, thank you for the info and links

Comment

Originally posted by Josiah View Post
                  One other point about the Eagle Permit
                  Once you apply for the permit and receive it
                  The permit is good for life
                  And more importantly to apply for an eagle or parts are free
                  The shipping to you is free

http://www.fws.gov/forms/3-200-15a.pdf
                  Yes, this is true, I just got my life time permit....
                  sigpic This is how I dance when your standing next to me...

"Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Dogs of War..."

Comment

theres also two places you can order non eagle feathers from one is sia ran by the commanche tribe in oklahoma and the other is liberty wildlife in az, they also can give you permits for the birds they give out. waterbirds,flickers, hawks etc. some of them you order like example waterbirds you could be waiting a long time. others like red tails maybe just a couple of weeks

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.