Baby items/traditions question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baby items/traditions question

Can anyone tell me what some traditional baby objects or traditions are? I want to put stuff in my daughters nursery but the only thing i can think of are dreamcatchers which seem so cliche to me nowadays lol. Is there anything else that has a symbolic nature that I can put in there?

My side of the family has a dwindling amount of shawnee, and my daughter will only have 1/16th and i want her to know about the culture and such. I want her to be surrounded by it but im sure theres more I can do than tie random feathers everywhere, lol.

put some indian tabacco, flint rock, if its a girl i dont think shawnees use eagle feathers on them, all kinds of stuff you could stick in there,

Comment

Originally posted by crameika View Post
      Can anyone tell me what some traditional baby objects or traditions are? I want to put stuff in my daughters nursery but the only thing i can think of are dreamcatchers which seem so cliche to me nowadays lol. Is there anything else that has a symbolic nature that I can put in there?

My side of the family has a dwindling amount of shawnee, and my daughter will only have 1/16th and i want her to know about the culture and such. I want her to be surrounded by it but im sure theres more I can do than tie random feathers everywhere, lol.
      A very respectable, almost universal item of blessing or prayer is a small cloth or piece of buckskin containing sage or tobacco. Simply tie with a string at the top securely and attach. A fun idea would be to make a beaded mobile... With each picture being something beaded, woven or quilled, appliqu├ęd in traditional designs. It would be a great learning project for everyone
      Since the Shawnee had corn, perhaps decorations or themes of corn would be another good item.
      Just reply if you have any questions, and have a great day!

Comment

When my first grand-daughter was born, I played my flutes for her and they had a calming effect on her. later i played the older traditional recordings made by Natay (Canyon Records) at low levels and used it to make her sleep.

I don't know if you can get a traditional cradle board, but they really help infants fall asleep fast and you know that they will be safe as they rest.

Comment

thanks!

thank you everyone for your suggestions. I'm not in touch with the shawnee side of my family, so I cant ask them these things :\ but now i have a few ideas of what to look for :) thank you!!

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.