Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Porky Roach- how to sew several layers on to the base

Hello,
    I need to know how i should sew on the two layers of porcupine hair and then the deer tail hair for the front. Do i just sew on layer by layer?
    Looking for good tips on how to do.
    thank you,
    Monogirl58

Pow Wow Crafts > General Crafts > Hair Roach construction 05-12-2002 From POWWOWBUM49 Arena Director - Offered advice on pinning and sewing that I used when I constructed my first kit:

My advice would have been to throw away that kit, but seriously did the kit come with a cord or yarn base? If it is cord I would suggest pitching it and making one out of yarn. It is much more forgiving to someone making a roach from a kit.

As for pinning and sewing the tied rows of hair to the base, it is pretty much just what it sounds like. You see pinning the rows of hair to the side of the base is only to hold it in place and make it easier to sew up. All you do is start in the center of the hair row and put that eight up front. Then work your way around and back to the end of the tail pinning down as you go. Once it is pinned down then start back up front in the center and sew it down one side working your to the end of the tail, then the other side. Then put it on a bat and shape it.

Hope that helps.

PB49

Read the entire link (Hair Roach Construction) for more important information.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Related Topics

Collapse

Hair Roach construction
      by Guest
      Hi Again,

I am making a hair roach from a kit that I got from Crazy Crow. The instructions which came with the kit are very vague in a couple of places. The procedure for pinning and sewing the hair cord to the base is my problem. I asked Crazy Crow to clairify and all I got from them...
      05-11-2002, 01:30 AM
    • DancersMom
      Roach Base Help
      by DancersMom
      I would like to make a roach for my son but can't find and instructions to make the Base. I have found the instructions to make the rest but not the base can anyone help?
      08-08-2007, 09:18 PM
    • Tx_grass_dancer
      Skunk hair on roaches?
      by Tx_grass_dancer
      I just saw this on the Matoska web site. They made a roach with a row of skunk hair on the inside. Supposidly it made it look fuller, but the picture was of the inside of the roach so you couldn't tell. It looked pretty good, and I was thinking of trying it.

Just wanted to know if anyone...
      07-08-2003, 01:06 AM
      Fixing Damaged roach hair
      by Guest
      hey therall of you in pow-wow land, well i been dancing for a while but recently my roach hair (deer hair) was been becoming frayed because my rocker always hits it and this weekend i noticed it was really bad, well my question is what can i use to make it go straight up again, my friend said use vaseline...
      02-18-2002, 02:10 AM
    • NativeBoy'sMom
      How to Sew a Porky Roach with Nice Spread
      by NativeBoy'sMom
      What is the technique to get a good spread on a porky roach so that I don't have to use a roach spreader to flatten it?

I've read in several old threads that a spreader shouldn't be used to spread the porky hair because it will break the hair eventually. The same posts said that if the...
      10-07-2011, 02:58 PM

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
    Working...
    X