Native American-Blood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Native American-Blood

I have been trying to join the tribe.I have a lot of Native American blood,but that does not seem to matter.Maybe because I am too old for them to let me join.My blood line starts with --
    Goh n w g J G Bear Paw who was married to-- Jar Wah U Gah Garwick
    Their children in my ancestry is Joseph Che-Wie Proctor he was married to Nu Che Nancy Bear Paw they also had children. Their daughter's name is Lucy "Bear Paw" Proctor she was married to --
    James "Siase" Thomas. This one really get to me. James Thomas died on the Trail of Tears while helping Lucy and the kids escape the soldiers.There is not even a written sentence about him in Dawes.That just is not right anyway you look at it. How accurate is the Dawes? Lucy and the children ended up in Boonesburg. Lucy had their daughter -- Nancy Thomas. This is where it really gets interesting. Nancy Thomas marries Ozais Denton Gibson who's grandfather was Sheperd "Old Buck" Gibson.He started the Melungeons. He has stories about all over,yet he is not listed
    in Dawes,either is his son Sheperd Gibson who had a son Ozais Denton Gibson . He married Nancy Thomas,and she had a daughter Matilda Gibson who married my great Grandfather David Maggard Adams,he was a preacher for The LDS church in Indian county.
    They had a son Joda Adams he is my grandfather, he had my father out of Wedlock .His name is on the birth certificate, My father
    Billy Joe Adams just past away.That is why I am still trying to join the tribe. I hope somebody knows how to get the opportunity
    to join the tribe. Please Help!!!!!

Can't anyone at least say hi before beginning this week's episode of the genealogy road show?

Welcome to powwows.com We are a forum for the discussion of powwows and the related music and crafts.

Originally posted by reiakai View Post
    I have been trying to join the tribe.
    There is no one "Native American Tribe." There are 500+ federally recognized entities in the USA alone. First, you need to know which tribe.

I have a lot of Native American blood,but that does not seem to matter.
    Each tribe has its own membership requirements. Some require just lineal descent, some a particular blood quantum, some some combination of these. Each has established standards of documentation for enrollment. You must know what these are. In the enrollment office, what matters is meeting the standards of the requisite tribal laws and codes.

Maybe because I am too old for them to let me join.
    I've never heard of that particular attribute being on any tribe's enrollment criterion.

What are you expecting to get from enrollment?

Comment

I have been trying to join the tribe.I have a lot of Native American blood,but that does not seem to matter.Maybe because I am too old for them to let me join.My blood line starts with --
      Goh n w g J G Bear Paw who was married to-- Jar Wah U Gah Garwick
      Their children in my ancestry is Joseph Che-Wie Proctor he was married to Nu Che Nancy Bear Paw they also had children. Their daughter's name is Lucy "Bear Paw" Proctor she was married to --
      James "Siase" Thomas. This one really get to me. James Thomas died on the Trail of Tears while helping Lucy and the kids escape the soldiers.There is not even a written sentence about him in Dawes.That just is not right anyway you look at it. How accurate is the Dawes? Lucy and the children ended up in Boonesburg. Lucy had their daughter -- Nancy Thomas. This is where it really gets interesting. Nancy Thomas marries Ozais Denton Gibson who's grandfather was Sheperd "Old Buck" Gibson.He started the Melungeons. He has stories about all over,yet he is not listed
      in Dawes,either is his son Sheperd Gibson who had a son Ozais Denton Gibson . He married Nancy Thomas,and she had a daughter Matilda Gibson who married my great Grandfather David Maggard Adams,he was a preacher for The LDS church in Indian county.
      They had a son Joda Adams he is my grandfather, he had my father out of Wedlock .His name is on the birth certificate, My father
      Billy Joe Adams just past away.That is why I am still trying to join the tribe. I hope somebody knows how to get the opportunity
      to join the tribe. Please Help!!!!!
      Where to start...
      Bearpaw is a possible name but his wife's name is a Garwick? this is suspect besides no r's in Cherokee names (jar-wah-u-gah)seems it would be jawauga while proper is mishmash.

Proctor was a white that married into the tribe but those all made there way into Indian Territory in 1838. Lucy Proctor went on the Trail of Tears but then turns around and ends up in Boonesburg Tn, Ky, or Va?
      The Dawes Roll of 1907 is based on the Census of 1896 and 1880 which were done by the Cherokee Nation long before the Dawes Commission was convened. It was a listing of all citizens that resided in the Boundaries of the Cherokee Nation. The listing is broken out into various categories such as those by blood, freedman, whites that married Cherokees, orphans and those in asylums. It even lists those that were in Cherokee Prison at the time of the Census. If your kin lived within the boundaries of the Cherokee Nation up to 1907, they were subject to the laws and courts of the Cherokee Nation not the United States!!

All is not lost Look up your kin on the Guion Miller Roll of 1909 it list ALL Cherokee east and west of the Mississippi if they were recognized by the Cherokee government they will be listed...
      ᎠᏂᎩᏚᏩᎩ - Anigiduwagi
      Till I Die!

Comment

Thank you I really need some help. I have been stuck on the fact
        that There is only one ancestor on the Dawes list.Her name is Dicey Jane Proctor Number# 395 The rest of the family is not on the Dawes list

Comment

Thank you I really need some help. I have been stuck on the fact
          that There is only one ancestor on the Dawes list.Her name is Dicey Jane Proctor Number# 395 The rest of the family is not on the Dawes list
          #395 is Ezekial Proctor a 68 year old man when he was enrolled (1902)

I found no Dicey Jane Proctor on any document
          ᎠᏂᎩᏚᏩᎩ - Anigiduwagi
          Till I Die!

Comment

Just trying to find some info

Would anyone on this forum happen to have any information, or is part of the bloodline of the Blackfoot Indian Tribe?

Comment

Lucy Bearpaw Proctor and James Edward Thomas

I am descended from Lucy Bearpaw Proctor and James Edward Thomas. According to "The Family Histories of Letcher County", they had 10 children. Most likely, in the month of September 1838, where forced to accompany American soldiers on the Trail of Tears.. It is believed that James died somewhere between Arkansas and Western Kentucky. He was believed to be about 40 years old. Lucy knew her father-in-law, Merchant Thomas, had already settled in Letcher County, KY. Somehow she managed to escape and bring her children to Letcher County. They were raised there as "white Indians" (her own words). Her son, Greenbury, was about nine years old at that time. Several other family members appear on the Dawes List, indicating that they also survived the Trail of Tears and settled in Oklahoma or Arkansas. Lucy died eight years after her husband in Letcher County, KY. Greenbury was my great, great, great grandfather, making Lucy my great, great, great, great grandmother.

Comment

Good to see Olchemist still shoots from the hip.LOL

And this probably should have been posted in the Genealogy forum.

Now, as for "Bear Paw" and the other names. Someone stated that they left and went to Letcher Co, KY? Well, if they left the tribe there is no way they/you can enroll. Sounds like you are talking about the CNO (Cherokee Nation of Oklahoma). The Dawes Roll was the roll of those who were living in OK at that time, if there were some who weren't, they didn't get enrolled.

Josiah has great info on these families, I have some as well. That's the families of the CNO. However you do have to start with yourself and work your way backwards and find out where and/or when if ever they were a part of the Tribe. Family stories are not enough to begin with. And if your direct line (parent, grandparent, etc) was not on the Dawes Roll, then you can not enroll.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.