Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can someone please anwer this about American Indian religion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And for the Star Wars fans : LOL
    Attached Files
    I believe blood quantums are the governments way to breed us out of existance !

They say blood is thicker than water ! Now maple syrup is thicker than blood , so are pancakes more important than family ?

There are "Elders" and there are "Olders". Being the second one doesn't make the first one true !

Somebody is out there somewhere, thinking of you and the impact you made in their life.
    It's not me....I think you're an idiot !

sigpic

There's a chance you might not like me ,

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care

Comment

Originally posted by OLChemist View Post
      You are a newcomer to Indian Country. A trait that is very valuable to cultivate is patience. In my experience nothing in Native ways is learned quickly, except humility :)

Our elders have seen a lot of people come racing into our communities. Some have been in pursuit of research dollars, quick fix spirituality, a white-guilt get out of jail free card, instant Indianess... They want instant information to take away and use without return. (Nowhere in what I just wrote was I saying you were doing this.) This makes people skittish.

Even for folks born within the culture and community, knowledge does not come quickly. (Ask Wardancer, he will tell you he's an old guy but he's still learning.) This is part of our ways. People will test your commitment. If you go to a Lakota elder to ask for help, you may well be refused the first three times. Wowacintanka, perseverance, is a Lakota virtue. Patience walks and in hand with perseverance. (Says the woman who lacks both, LOL.)

You have been enculturated within the dominant culture to ask and you shall receive. This has its roots deep in the enlightenment and even deeper in the Hellenistic Greek ethos. You are heir to cultures that do not spring from those worldview. You are trying to enter those cultures. Therefore, you might do well to become aware that not all the world learns by direct interrogation. There are areas in all cultures about which questions are improper and even unwelcome. It is well to go slowly and take what answers you get. You may be warned away from those areas.
      I hope you have all these gems in a file so you can just copy and paste them. It would save you LOTS of typing. Seems this is the question of the week a lot of times.
      Take nothing for granted. Life can change irrevocably in a heartbeat.

I will not feed the troll-well, I will try.

Comment

Originally posted by subeeds View Post
        I hope you have all these gems in a file so you can just copy and paste them. It would save you LOTS of typing. Seems this is the question of the week a lot of times.
        She does !

They say blood is thicker than water ! Now maple syrup is thicker than blood , so are pancakes more important than family ?

There are "Elders" and there are "Olders". Being the second one doesn't make the first one true !

Somebody is out there somewhere, thinking of you and the impact you made in their life.

sigpic

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care

Comment

Originally posted by subeeds View Post
          Sadly, yes.

Originally posted by Calista2015 View Post
          ...I wanted to know what the spirituality of Native Americans was, so I can practice it.
          You want to learn, good.

Indian 101.

There is no such thing as a generic Native American spirituality, except in a box on the shelf in your local New Age bookstore. There is Cree, Ojibwe, Saulteaux or ad infinitum spirituality. Native peoples are not monolithic. Each people has their own practices and traditions. It is a grave error to think of them as one group,

Since 1492, the dominant culture depiction of the various idigenious people of the Americas has reduced us to a mostly homogenous mass of tipi dwelling, warbonnet wearing, buckskin clad Dances with Wolves extras. There was and is enormous cultural, political, social, linguistic, and economic variation among the in excess of 1000 different peoples of the Americas.

At the time of contact, there were cities that matched those in Europe and Asia in size and sophistication. There were empires that rivaled those in Europe. There were hunters and gathers, city dwelling bureaucrats and priests, sea faring fisherman and traders, and sophisticated farming cultures. Some scholars estimate that nearly 50% of the crops that feed the world today were New World plants, unknown to the Old World in 1491. Our crops fueled the population explosion that led to extensive trans-Atlantic emigration. The religious range within the New World was as large as that in the Old World. Each group had their own practices.

Lakota 101:

Lakota is the language shared by a number of different political entities. There are seven groups that fall under the umbrella of Lakota: Sichangu, Oglala, Oohenumpa, Mnikowzu, Itazipcho, Sihasapa, and Hunkpapa. Thus Lakota people think of and refer to themselves as Oglala's, Hunkpapa's, etc. Within each group there are associations of extended families. So, you are also a member of one of these bands.
          Last edited by OLChemist; 06-06-2015, 07:59 PM.

Comment

You didn't give her the infinite knowledge of the ages or the exact "Indian" religious techniques , so I doubt she'll be back. Her kind never cease to amaze me.......
            Someone should invent an "Instant Indian Acceptance Kit"

sigpic

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care

Comment

Well

You know what? I was NOT going to come back because I was afraid of asking another question and getting my ****ing head bitten off by you all AGAIN but I read the last chief's (or whoever the hell he is) reply and I had to respond. I did NOT ASK to know infinite knowledge of the ages or the exact "Indian" religious techniques. I will say again as I said before, I wanted to KNOW what and HOW do you practice spirituality within the Native American culture with me being HALF Native American (but now I see half doesn't mean **** to you all because if you aren't WHOLE then you're either an outsider or called "YOUR KIND") Now maybe I did NOT ask my original question right but my INTENTIONS were well meaning and I did NOT want to find out about my American Indian heritage for profit because let's get REAL, if I wanted to go find out the heritage of a race of people - JUST for profit, I'd go to the Jewish race - THAT'S the race that has profit. But I was generally interested in LEARNING and understanding, since EVERY family member that I have, that I can learn about my heritage from is DEAD, the recent one dying just DAYS ago, so I come here and instead of getting understanding, informative responses, I get responses with people tearing my ****ing head off.

So yeah that made me afraid of even wanting to ask anything else on here. I understand that you all may not know me and that is why you were on defense and cautious but it's one thing to not know me and be on defense and cautious and it's another thing to tear my head off and RIDICULE me for not knowing. I can guarantee that I can go to a black forum and ask what I did and I wouldn't get the type of response that I got from you all (and I know because I DID). So the hell with trying to find out about my American Indian heritage, because I'd be too afraid now, that if I ask a question or something, I'd be labeled as RACIST, STUPID or an OUTSIDER or called "YOUR KIND" (by the way, YOUR KIND? That in itself sounds racist - and isn't it ironic that YOU as a NATIVE AMERICAN would be racist??) So I'd rather just stick to being an OUTSIDER and being MY KIND. Now you all can say whatever the **** else you want, I'm stopping all notifications on here and WILL NOT return.

Comment

You know what? I was NOT going to come back because I was afraid of asking another question and getting my ****ing head bitten off by you all AGAIN but I read the last chief's (or whoever the hell he is) reply and I had to respond. I did NOT ASK to know infinite knowledge of the ages or the exact "Indian" religious techniques. I will say again as I said before, I wanted to KNOW what and HOW do you practice spirituality within the Native American culture with me being HALF Native American (but now I see half doesn't mean **** to you all because if you aren't WHOLE then you're either an outsider or called "YOUR KIND") Now maybe I did NOT ask my original question right but my INTENTIONS were well meaning and I did NOT want to find out about my American Indian heritage for profit because let's get REAL, if I wanted to go find out the heritage of a race of people - JUST for profit, I'd go to the Jewish race - THAT'S the race that has profit. But I was generally interested in LEARNING and understanding, since EVERY family member that I have, that I can learn about my heritage from is DEAD, the recent one dying just DAYS ago, so I come here and instead of getting understanding, informative responses, I get responses with people tearing my ****ing head off.

So yeah that made me afraid of even wanting to ask anything else on here. I understand that you all may not know me and that is why you were on defense and cautious but it's one thing to not know me and be on defense and cautious and it's another thing to tear my head off and RIDICULE me for not knowing. I can guarantee that I can go to a black forum and ask what I did and I wouldn't get the type of response that I got from you all (and I know because I DID). So the hell with trying to find out about my American Indian heritage, because I'd be too afraid now, that if I ask a question or something, I'd be labeled as RACIST, STUPID or an OUTSIDER or called "YOUR KIND" (by the way, YOUR KIND? That in itself sounds racist - and isn't it ironic that YOU as a NATIVE AMERICAN would be racist??) So I'd rather just stick to being an OUTSIDER and being MY KIND. Now you all can say whatever the **** else you want, I'm stopping all notifications on here and WILL NOT return.
                What's up. I'm coming in a little bit late. It's all good. I read some of the things you were asking. When it went downhill, I quit reading.

So let's start here. What are your views on 'religion'? Is it a belief of some entity? Is it the interpretation of scripture from a book? Make this an inteligent conversation without all the curse words. Maybe you will come away learning something.

Now, separate spirituality from 'religion'. You can be spiritual without being religious.

Is religion 'racial'? Do Africans have a 'religion'? Chinese have a 'religion'? Do different races study the same 'religion'? Do racial cultures view the same 'religion' the same way? Do the same races from different regions believe in the same way? So many questions. So many different answers.

Now, before there were 'religions' on Turtle Island, there was the knowledge of spirits in all that is natural. So now there is spirituality, and not religion. With over 500 different Indian tribes, would you think there is but one 'religion' for all? What if there is no 'religion' (I don't have enough knowledge to discuss NAC).

Now, that which is spiritual, is natural. That which is natural, cannot be learned from a book.

For the tribes that hold ceremonies, those are spiritual to that 'individual' tribe. Can you be taught the Chumash Bear Dance, the Sundance of various tribes, or the Corn Pollen Ceremony of the Southwest without being there?
                I believe you came on here dropping your NDN blood quantum like these members were supposed to be in awe. We aren't.

How about giving us your view on 'religion'.

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman

Comment

And don't be dissing the Chief.

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman

Comment

Hmmm.....too bad , if you stayed you might learn something.

I just re-read the whole thread and I did not see anyone that tore your head off or chewed your azz for being ignorant. Several of us tried to explain that there are many different beliefs among the different tribes. One should know their own history to proceed in the search for future knowledge.

I am not a chief , heck I don't even consider myself an Elder....just an old guy. And not "whole" I'm a mix blood , just like you. I am a Traditional Dancer at powwows. And not a particularly good one either , I only try to raise some dust on occasion.

When I say "your kind" I am referring to a type of people that come on here and ask sensitive questions , then immediately get mad at the responses , serious , sarcastic ,teasing or humorous. They don't like the response they get so they start slamming everyone that said anything and surely we are all bad people.

Racist ? Yeah , I am ! I typically don't like anybody....not even other ndns ! Read my bottom signature line , if you have any doubt ! I do however , respect other peoples cultures. I would never go to a Scottish forum (I am 1/2 Scottish) and demand they tell me all about their religious beliefs without introducing myself first and getting the lay of the land so to speak. If I look at the forum and see NOBODY talks about religion , then I probably would not ask ! Nor would I go to a Black forum and demand to know all about their religion ! By the way , how do Blacks believe??? Oh wait , there's more than 1 kinda "Black" Hmmmm.....same with ndns !

Outsider , yes , you are an outsider. You made yourself one with your attitude. Almost everyone here was cordial to you . A few wanted clarification on you questions , some tried to explain the differences , some made a little fun , some of us did all of it ! I sure didn't see anyone that chewed on you. Grow up , learn some patience , read the suggested reading , learn as much as you can about your people.....or not! Either way will not effect my life ! Good luck.....sistah !
                    Last edited by wardancer; 06-08-2015, 02:12 AM.

sigpic

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care

Comment

Calista2015. You have two different tribal Nations or Reservations from your father. But you remained the same with your mother as Lakota and Black. So if you feel that your father was Cherokee.

My advice for you is to go to the Lakota reservation and talked with someone there about where to find someone who knows about Lakota religion if that is what they want to call religion. We always used ceremonies to give peace and to get rid of bad things in our life. Also we used ceremonies for blessing. Not much about religion like Sweatlodge for men and women just for cleansing and to make us feel better.

Also I noticed on your Private Message profile that you did not make any biography about yourself, just only your gender.

Here on the Powwows.com, we talked about dancing, regalia and other art works that we can relate to different dances on the Powwows, either traditional or competition. We are more interest in gathering and being with people who love to dance with the drummers and singers. We, sometime, get some laugh from being clowning and having fun. That is the only way you can meet the NDN people if you are not afraid or scared. You have to have strong skins (meaning you need to be tough to take the blunt from us). I am an Elder and I am not perfect but I do know some things because I lived through this. That is something you get to learned about our traditions which we are all different from yours. So don't get upset and threaten to leave Powwows.com. You have a lot to learn as you read the threads here.
                      Gegiibishedjig (Deaf Person)

Comment

I seem to recall reading about a group in Tennessee that think the Cherokee are part of the Lost tribe of Israel.
                        Its funny because they base there "theory" on no scientific data but there it is.
                        I read an article that Linguist have pushed back how long our Language has diverged from the Iroquois (We are related) to at least 3000 years if not more so we had lived in the Southeastern United States long before Rome was established rose and fell!! But our Language is related to Native Languages in North America. In this same article they talked about the diversity of languages in the Americas and how long it would take for that many to spring up yeah we are talking 40000 years!!! Long before the Israelites and the Sodomites and all of them folks were running around and killing each other, actually they are relative newcomers compared to Natives!!
                        ᎠᏂᎩᏚᏩᎩ - Anigiduwagi
                        Till I Die!

Comment

Originally posted by Josiah View Post
                          I seem to recall reading about a group in Tennessee that think the Cherokee are part of the Lost tribe of Israel.
                          Its funny because they base there "theory" on no scientific data but there it is.
                          I read an article that Linguist have pushed back how long our Language has diverged from the Iroquois (We are related) to at least 3000 years if not more so we had lived in the Southeastern United States long before Rome was established rose and fell!! But our Language is related to Native Languages in North America. In this same article they talked about the diversity of languages in the Americas and how long it would take for that many to spring up yeah we are talking 40000 years!!! Long before the Israelites and the Sodomites and all of them folks were running around and killing each other, actually they are relative newcomers compared to Natives!!
                          I saw this on Nat Geo or TLC, can't remember. 91 'tribespeople' volunteered for a DNA test.

0 OF THEM HAD NATIVE BLOOD OR JEWISH BLOOD (or whatever it is they are over there).

Mr. Rossie Freeman

Comment

There was a part of a documentary that did called "Who Really Discovered America" on the History Channel. I found it on YouTube:
                            <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/SDPwmXANKXE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Originally posted by Josiah View Post
                            CERN may have discovered the Higgs Boson but...
                            sigpic

Help Powwows.com provide better webcasts with wireless cameras by purchasing a decal for your car! We all know you love car decals, don't deny that you don't have them. This is you with a car decal -> http://www.powwows.com/2014/10/23/pow-wow-stickers/

Comment

Hmm, I looked up that group the OP was talking about. The Southern Poverty Law Center has a piece on them:

SPLC Article on The Hebrew Israelites

Comment

Originally posted by OLChemist View Post
                                Hmm, I looked up that group the OP was talking about. The Southern Poverty Law Center has a piece on them:

SPLC Article on The Hebrew Israelites
                                Those folks are kinda scary. Of course, if they have fallen onto the radar of the SPLC, they would be.
                                Take nothing for granted. Life can change irrevocably in a heartbeat.

I will not feed the troll-well, I will try.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.