Stolen Regalia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stolen Regalia

I have noticed that lately, seems like a couple times a week, I see another set of beadwork and or Eagle/Hawk feathers stolen at a powwow.

Has it always been like this?

Is there some kind of underground powwow where dancers dance in stolen regalia?

Are they selling it to the highest bidders in Europe?

This leads to another question/thought. I really can't picture a feather thief stealing these feathers to make regalia for themselves... I mean if they have taken it to that level, it's prolly for money right?
    Last edited by gilisi; 06-19-2015, 02:15 AM.
    When you are dead you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others. It is the same when you are stupid.

"Show me somethin"

Originally posted by gilisi View Post
    I have noticed that lately, seems like a couple times a week, I see another set of beadwork and or Eagle/Hawk feathers stolen at a powwow.

This leads to another question/thought. I really can't picture a feather thief stealing these feathers to make regalia for themselves... I mean if they have taken it to that level, it's prolly for money right?
    I don't know if it's awlays been this way, but there's always been a black market for collectibles, especially in Europe. I'm guessing that a lot of this stolen stuff could be going there. I would hardly think anybody would steal it to wear to a Powwow-to easily recognized. I would bet that the feathers fetch a high price in Europe.

I remember reading a long time ago, about some really wealthy European who had millions and millions of black market Old Masters art work in a hidden cellar/room of some sort. I don't remember how he got busted, but he did. I can just picture some regalia in some locked away room, only to be admired by one person. How awful.
    Take nothing for granted. Life can change irrevocably in a heartbeat.

I will not feed the troll-well, I will try.

Comment

The way I see it is that there are enough jealous people out there or people who are so competitive that they would cheat in any way possible to limit the competition. They steal beadwork and outfits and feathers of people they think will give them a run for their money out in the arena. As Puff Daddy once said "It's all about the Benjamins". Those people lack good sportsmanship as well as they have absolutely no respect for their culture.

I also imagine that a small percentage of regalia and feathers are stolen by spectators as a souvenir.
      CERN may have discovered the Higgs Boson but...
      sigpic

Help Powwows.com provide better webcasts with wireless cameras by purchasing a decal for your car! We all know you love car decals, don't deny that you don't have them. This is you with a car decal -> http://www.powwows.com/2014/10/23/pow-wow-stickers/

Comment

Originally posted by Toolbox View Post
        The way I see it is that there are enough jealous people out there or people who are so competitive that they would cheat in any way possible to limit the competition. They steal beadwork and outfits and feathers of people they think will give them a run for their money out in the arena. As Puff Daddy once said "It's all about the Benjamins". Those people lack good sportsmanship as well as they have absolutely no respect for their culture.

I also imagine that a small percentage of regalia and feathers are stolen by spectators as a souvenir.
        I don't like jealousy nor competition but it's okay, if others like competitions, can be fun or for a good reason.

Comment

I think it was Fort Yuma Pow Woiw where a family spoke about finding

somebody's feathers completely unattended,

so they are keeping them for a year to teach that person a lesson.

Guess that's better than the feathers completely gone by thieves?
          sigpic

Comment

you know......at an idle no more event i found a hand drum and stick someone left behind.......i asked around the people who were still there who it belonged to, a family friend approached me and said "dont worry about it, its YOURS"....well later i posted on our indian community facebook with a pic and asked if anyone wanted to claim ownership.....i got a call from that friend who was like "i TOLD you its YOURS" and passed the phone to an elder i respect, and he told me its just like regalia, YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE TO WATCH OR ARRANGE FOR SOMEONE TO WATCH YOUR STUFF.............so while i DO think whoever steals regailia...ESPECIALLY FEATHERS, is a lowlife....but if you were watching your stuff like you are supposed to then well.....too bad

now if someone breaks and enters a car, campsite, house and steals then thats a whole different story

im talking about those who take off their roach and bustles and walk away to the portapotty, the frybread stand, and snagging and found their stuff missing from their seat

thoughts?
            "I on the trail of a possible good Indian lady and she is reported to like the old way's and she to believes in big family and being at home with kids all the time"... - MOTOOPI aka WOUNDED BEAR

Comment

Well , there are several different issues here. First off , I think anyone that picks up any regalia that doesn't belong to them , is a lowlife Bast-turd !
              As far as beadwork , check the local pawn. There are all types of jealousy and envy out there in contest land. There is also unemployment and alcohol and drug use. Someone can pick up a beaded bag or hairties or whatever , take it to the local pawn ,"borrow" on it , never go back and it's out of sight for at least 90 days. Easy money.
              Feathers are a different issue. Fans and bustles can be dis-assembled , re-worked , or should I say re-invented and who can say where those came from. Hard to mark feathers and with so many out there.....how would you know if it was yours ?
              Some of the older folks can remember when this was a rare occurrence. You could take something off , lay it in your spot on the bench or in your chair and no one dared to bother it. Times change and so has morality and respect. Now days you don't dare lay anything down without fear of losing it.

Originally posted by AmigoKumeyaay View Post
              I think it was Fort Yuma Pow Woiw where a family spoke about finding

somebody's feathers completely unattended,

so they are keeping them for a year to teach that person a lesson.

Guess that's better than the feathers completely gone by thieves?
              If I hang my feathers on the wall and go eat supper and come back and they are gone , and some dumb chit says " , they were unattended so we took them" , they better be ready to hand them over or fight , one of the 2 ! Again , lack of respect. Don't touch my stuff without permission. Now , it's different if I leave it when I go home and forget to take it with me....then it's my bad ! We have always said about Eagle feathers : " As long as you treat those feathers good , they will stay with you. If you don't , they will leave you. Always treat your feathers with respect or they will leave and go with someone else." I am proud that I have NEVER lost a feather ! The only ones that leave me are the ones I give away !
              I believe blood quantums are the governments way to breed us out of existance !

They say blood is thicker than water ! Now maple syrup is thicker than blood , so are pancakes more important than family ?

There are "Elders" and there are "Olders". Being the second one doesn't make the first one true !

Somebody is out there somewhere, thinking of you and the impact you made in their life.
              It's not me....I think you're an idiot !

sigpic

There's a chance you might not like me ,

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care

Comment

Originally posted by milehighsalute View Post
                you know......at an idle no more event i found a hand drum and stick someone left behind.......i asked around the people who were still there who it belonged to, a family friend approached me and said "dont worry about it, its YOURS"....well later i posted on our indian community facebook with a pic and asked if anyone wanted to claim ownership.....i got a call from that friend who was like "i TOLD you its YOURS" and passed the phone to an elder i respect, and he told me its just like regalia, YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE TO WATCH OR ARRANGE FOR SOMEONE TO WATCH YOUR STUFF.............so while i DO think whoever steals regailia...ESPECIALLY FEATHERS, is a lowlife....but if you were watching your stuff like you are supposed to then well.....too bad

now if someone breaks and enters a car, campsite, house and steals then thats a whole different story

im talking about those who take off their roach and bustles and walk away to the portapotty, the frybread stand, and snagging and found their stuff missing from their seat

thoughts?
                Hey , I think that was mine ! Go ahead and send it back to me !

They say blood is thicker than water ! Now maple syrup is thicker than blood , so are pancakes more important than family ?

There are "Elders" and there are "Olders". Being the second one doesn't make the first one true !

Somebody is out there somewhere, thinking of you and the impact you made in their life.

sigpic

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care

Comment

Originally posted by milehighsalute View Post

thoughts?
                  Now days that is exactly right !

sigpic

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care

Comment

Interesting thread. If I go to the arena with my family or with my sister, I'm the one that watches all of our stuff. I'm the one that usually just fringes or I'm sitting there beading. I do dance with my sister if she is on headstaff. But our family is big enough that there is always someone watching our stuff.

I see things posted from time to time on facebook about regalia coming up missing. Whole suitcases. I know sometimes that you are tired after the dance and think it's safe to leave in your van or in the trunk. DON'T. People watch you. Take it into the room with you. Better to be safe than sorry.
                    You will never understand the introverted nerd in me...and that's okay.

Comment

Originally posted by C&HBrownsugar View Post
                      . I know sometimes that you are tired after the dance and think it's safe to leave in your van or in the trunk. DON'T. People watch you. Take it into the room with you. Better to be safe than sorry.
                      I agree wholly with this post. When I first got married -we went to a powwow and came home late on a sunday night. locked the car up and went to bed. Next morning - our stuff was gone. That feeling of loss was SICKENING!! We were lucky that my nephew found it in a port-a-potty a block from my moms house....and ever since that experience - no matter how tired we are or where we are - all the dance stuff comes in. nothing is left in the car. NOTHING!! we might be moving our suitcases in at 2 am - but i'm not losing my dance stuff again!
                      Are you taking me to sizzler??

Comment

well, this guy came and stole our NDN tacos one time.... my daughter was crying
                        Attached Files
                        When you are dead you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others. It is the same when you are stupid.

"Show me somethin"

Comment

well, this guy came and stole our NDN tacos one time.... my daughter was crying
                          i may have been guilty of stealing an indian taco or two myself......dont judge me
                          "I on the trail of a possible good Indian lady and she is reported to like the old way's and she to believes in big family and being at home with kids all the time"... - MOTOOPI aka WOUNDED BEAR

Comment

I think I found a solution to the stolen dance outfit problem use Bluetooth trackers https://www.google.com/search?q=blue...acker&tbm=shop with your smart phone.
                            Asema Is Sacred
                            Traditional Use, Not Misuse
                            Wakan Tanka please have compassion on me.
                            OK Niji we are running a train with red over yellow at this powwow.

Comment

Take every advice I give with a grain of salt...

I am a newbie and know next to nothing, so please correct me if this is not good advice... But I once owned a set of permanent markers purchased from canada off ebay, I don't remember what they were called exactly, but they were VERY permanent, weatherproof markers that had 100% completely invisible ink. They came with 2 LED keychains (black lights) that you shine over the marked item, and the marker glows bright blue. I used them very, very successfully on MANY items, and never had a single problem, not once. They never ruined or dissolved anything, they never washed off, not even with oil. I have never owned my own regalia and I don't know a lot about it... Still learning... But this could possibly be an option for some if they are very concerned about having their regalia stolen. If it were me, I would mark it with some sort of symbol rather than a name or number, that way if it is passed on to someone else, they will still be able to link it to themselves. What I did was color my thumb with the marker, then quick press it to whatever I wanted to mark, so that it left my thumbprint. I then put a normal black-ink thumbprint on an index card and kept it in my back pocket in case I ever had to prove something had been stolen. Unfortunately... Or fortunately... I never had anything taken and never had a real use for the markers other than just playing with them and marking things.

To this day my name is written in cursive on our middle school auditorium wall, very large. I am still waiting for them to do some sort of concert or play with blacklights and see if anyone notices it.

If this is inappropriate treatment for regalia, please correct me, I am still very ignorant and uneducated on pretty much everything.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.