Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• validation of adopted daughter's Mohawk heritage

Hello,
    I am not sure if I have the correct forum to request the following assistance. If not,I apologize in advance for any inconvenience and wonder if you can guide me as to my next step.
    I am searching for some direction regarding validating my adopted daughter's Mohawk status. We were informed by the birth family that they were of Mohawk heritage. However that is all we were informed.
    Thank you.
    Caryn

Are you still in contact with the family? If not, first you need to find the tribe's official website. Make sure it's not a fake. Find on the site their requirements for membership. Many tribes have a blood quantum requirement. If her birth parent(s) were enrolled citizens already, and you have a copy of her original pre-adoption birth certificate, and she meets blood quantum requirements, you may be able to just fill in an application and send it in. If her birth parents were not enrolled then you might need to prove her ancestry. It depends on the specific tribe's requirements. If you are not in contact with them, you might try Ancestry DNA to attempt to contact birth relatives who can help you.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

widgetinstance 224 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
    Working...
    X