Need advise on dance and regalia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advise on dance and regalia

I was never raised in my culture due to being placed in foster care at a young age. I am of Tsalagi, I've been spending time trying to learn more about my culture, and other native cultures as well. And I've had a growing interest in Pow Wows,and would like to preform. I know Tsalagi people did not have Pow wows, but my understanding is that we are still welcome to preform due to us being native. I want to know if this is true. And what kinds of dancing I would be able to without culturally appropriating from other tribes, and the same with regalia.

Greetings and welcome to powwows.calm ! LOL
    Now days the Cherokee People powwow are just like everyone else. They dance in all categories and as most powwows are inter-tribal , and so does everyone else! With that said , most Tribes also have their own private tribal specific dances or ceremonies , exclusive to their tribe.
    Cultural appropriation is not really a huge issue between tribes , it's more about non-ndns taking ndn ways for their own convoluted ideas and bast*dizing them for their own use.
    Learn all you can. Go to powwows and watch first. Make friends and socialize.Then you'll have a better idea about how to join in.
    Also , the Cherokee People do have social gatherings and have their own ceremonial dances. And we don't preform ,we dance. We don't dance for others , we dance for Creator , for ourselves , and for the Drum. It's an expression of thanks for our lives.
    I hope this helps a little bit. Keep asking questions and always compare all the different answers you'll get to the same question ! LOL Good Luck
    Last edited by wardancer; 05-17-2020, 12:27 PM.
    I believe blood quantums are the governments way to breed us out of existance !

They say blood is thicker than water ! Now maple syrup is thicker than blood , so are pancakes more important than family ?

There are "Elders" and there are "Olders". Being the second one doesn't make the first one true !

Somebody is out there somewhere, thinking of you and the impact you made in their life.
    It's not me....I think you're an idiot !

sigpic

There's a chance you might not like me ,

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care

Comment

powwow help

I love to dance and I love powwows
      You can still wear your regalia if you have it
      I wish I could have a regalia but I can't have one
      I don't wear leather or fur
      you should go back to your roots

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.