Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Okay to draw others?

Hi there,

I just wanted to ask if it's okay to bring a sketchbook and draw folks (dancers, vendors, passersby) at a Pow Wow. I usually people watch at malls and stuff but I want to make sure it's not disrespectful to do so at the next one I go to. Thank you!

Obviously, if the program says no drawing or sketching, then no drawing or sketching. In the absence of specific directions, I would treat it just like photography. Obey the rules of the powwow. Don't sketch when the AD says no photographs. Ask permission before drawing a person or their regalia. But I would advise you watch and hold the event in your memory.

Now, pueblos don't like drawings of their doings, even from memory. If you sell or post them you can get in trouble for infringing on their intellectual/spiritual property. It doesn't matter if folks from the pueblo paint or draw dances or scenes of life. Those folks have grown up with the rules and know what they can and can't do. They don't even allow writing about the public sides of ceremonies and dances.

Santa Clara Man Banned from Taos

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Related Topics

Collapse

• NYWG
      Question regarding Native Art.
      by NYWG
      is it ok to ask an Artist to see their Tribal Identification when You are at a Powwow?
      04-07-2014, 08:15 AM
    • ~RoCkIn_cHiCkeN~
      Is Powwow Just a Game?
      by ~RoCkIn_cHiCkeN~
      I'm getting real pissed off with alot the things powwow people do these days. I am 20 years old and this is my 5th year in dancing, for these past 5 years i learned about a whole different lifestyle than what everyone else from my rez lives. All too much on the rez i see people getting pissed as ****...
      10-02-2005, 03:32 AM
    • Annie Fawn
      Anyone want to share ideas on dealing with kids?
      by Annie Fawn
      I'm a foster parent and you are not allowed to spank or really punish these kids no matter what they might say or do to you. Over the years we have come up with some creative ways to get our point across with our own and with our foster children. Here are some that we have tried.
      Failing grades...
      05-29-2005, 08:56 PM
    • Smokin' Ace
      Things a Stepmother should never say...
      by Smokin' Ace
      This article appeared in on CNN.com this morning, and because both my children have stepmothers, I hear their struggles when they come home. I am not a stepmother yet, but I don't know what the future holds. :) I am just thankful that there are articles such as these out there...cuz, the truth is,...
      04-01-2008, 11:24 AM
    • Wakalapi
      My own li'l powwow website
      by Wakalapi
      I just finished rebuilding the semi-local website I've been running for the past couple years. It uses all open source software such as Joomla, Jevents, Gallery 2 and Fireboard. I had to do some serious redoing things over the years because most of the modules have been in beta or I had problems with...
      11-03-2008, 05:04 PM

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
    Working...
    X