Head Dancers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Head Dancers

I remember not too long ago, the concept of head dancers was not present in Canada. This did not hurt attendance or hinder these celebrations.

Recently some powwows have begun to pick new head dancers daily. In my opinion this allows more participation and saves powwow committees money on travel and accommodations for head dancers that are invited and listed on their powwow posters ahead of time.

Another observation is head dancers not showing up on time (or not at all) and other dancers dancing before the head dancers begin dancing to a song.

Other than helping a powwow advertise by picking popular head dancers.....

ARE HEAD DANCERS ESSENTIAL TO TODAY'S POWWOWS?
    Last edited by WhoMe; 04-25-2008, 01:16 PM.
    Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Ive been to Pow Wows where there were no Head Dancers, and it really confused me at first LOL. I was just standing there at the entry gate like uhhhhhhh who am I waiting on to dance by before I go in? Anyways, the AD finally told me to go on in, there was no head dancers.
    So, IMO, I think Head Dancers should be there, it makes for some of the other dances to go over more smoothly. (like the ones that need a lead - friendship dances, two-steps, etc.)
    I know at some of the pow wows I do head lady at, there is normally always someone there asking where they line up at for Grand Entry, or how does this dance or that dance go, or, am I even allowed to dance.
    So, I think Yep, there essential.
    Walk softly, leave nothing but footprints....

Comment

No.

If a committee really wants them, pick 'em daily. Save some loot.

Comment

NO, they are not needed. It is nice to have someone to ask questions, but its not essential. I'm one of those dancers that usually is the first one out anyway. I've done head lady dancer a couple of times, no big deal. Maybe its big other places, but I can see where a committee would be upset and put in a bind if they've given someone an honorarium and that person doesn't come through!!!!! OUCH!

Comment

I have been asked to be head lady dancer several times in my life and I was honored each time. I do think it's a "big deal". The dances that I have attended who did not have a head staff were poorly attended. One particular organization here the past couple of years did not have a head staff and picked head dancers at the beginning of each session. Not many dancers showed up. Hardly any vendors. But this year they wised up and picked a head staff. The dance was awesome coz the families and friends of the head staff came out in support of their dancers. And there were 5 drums, where in the past they were lucky to get 5 or 6 singers. I do think it makes a difference when you have a good head staff. Based on our experience.....we tend to stay away from dances with no head staff.

Comment

Not me. If it's a proven good powwow, I'll go. I don't give a hoot who the head dancers are or even if they have them.

I think if they pick them daily, they should select visitors from afar. Help them out. Help as many out as they can. Not just the elite.

Comment

Again in my opinion,

"Many of the roles that were traditionally bestowed on a head dancer do not take place today. They are analagous to Kings and Queens in that they are recognized figureheads, but their roles do not carry the same purpose they once did."

Another analogy would be like a cell phone - in that we didn't have them at one time but now that we do, we can't do without them (in some peoples minds).

Whatcha' think?

Comment

Originally posted by WhoMe View Post
                Again in my opinion,

"Many of the roles that were traditionally bestowed on a head dancer do not take place today. They are analagous to Kings and Queens in that they are recognized figureheads, but their roles do not carry the same purpose they once did."

Another analogy would be like a cell phone - in that we didn't have them at one time but now that we do, we can't do without them (in some peoples minds).

Whatcha' think?
                Where did the concept of a "head dancer" first come up? I don't remember them when I was little, and I know that alot of the powwows in the Dakotas don't have them. All my powwows back home didn't have them until Poplar Indian Dayz started up, and I don't think they have them in Fort Berthold. Long time ago I heard one man in SD say that he didn't believe in elevating one pair of dancers over everyone else....idk.

Even though I held out against a cell phone for several years and I can't do without it now, I don't think that head dancers are essential to a powwow yet cuz I used to go to alot that didn't have any at all and they were always well attended. For dancers, I think your host drums are your big draw, as well as the reputation of your head staff.

Comment

Might have been shared already?

Wouldn't it be the right thing for a Head Dancer to give back to the Powwow? A Special, Giveaway, etc....Setting a protocol or two....
                  "She also has a very soft skin. The only trouble with snake women is they copulate with horses, which makes them strange to me. She say's she doesn't. That's why I call her "Doesn't Like Horses". But, of course, she's lying."

Comment

Originally posted by ndnMSW View Post
                    Where did the concept of a "head dancer" first come up?

ndn,

I do not know this answer.

I visited with the granddaughter of Ed Mack who had a dance ground on their property that the Sac&Fox Veteran's Powwow used to be held on.

She explained how their head dancers were picked and their role as cohosts, advertisers and getting other dancers involved was understood and implemented.

Alot has changed since then.

Comment

We've been asked to head dance a couple of times at the last minute and it's always a bit of a trial getting with the drum and the AD and MC to all be on the same page but it's not something that can't be handled. I think that it's a bit better to know ahead of time so that you can have a small give- away... nothing outrageous just something small to say I appreicate your dancing with me....

I have danced at pow-wows with no head dancers and ones the the head dancer was a last minute pick, those seem to be a tad dis-organised and not well attended.
                      Thankful for the blessing from the Creator in my life!!!!

Life should not be measured by the number of things that we aquire on our journey but by the number of lives that we touch along that road.

I am a bridge on the red path between my ancestors and the future. I am a bridge between my white heritage and my native heritage. A bridge joins two sides together and provides a way to move on..... A.K. O'Pry-Reynolds

Comment

Based on past pow wows, I don't feel that Head Dancers are essential. They are a nice touch and an honour for the dancers selected. But it is not a "make or break" aspect.

Comment

Originally posted by ojibwaywmn View Post
                          Based on past pow wows, I don't feel that Head Dancers are essential. They are a nice touch and an honour for the dancers selected. But it is not a "make or break" aspect.

ojib,

I am leaning toward agreeing with you.

Red Earth Festival is in two weeks. They do not have Head Dancers (in a state where they are head dancer crazy *L)

I will be interested to see what dancers do without head dancers.

Comment

Originally posted by WhoMe View Post
                            ojib,

I am leaning toward agreeing with you.

Red Earth Festival is in two weeks. They do not have Head Dancers (in a state where they are head dancer crazy *L)

I will be interested to see what dancers do without head dancers.
                            Naw they replaced them with 5 AD's with Whips
                            LOL
                            Last edited by Josiah; 05-27-2008, 10:11 PM.
                            ᎠᏂᎩᏚᏩᎩ - Anigiduwagi
                            Till I Die!

Comment

I'd be lost without them.

Ayyee.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X