Honorarium by debit/credit card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honorarium by debit/credit card

Cash management is a tricky business when handling tens of thousands of dollars.

I have been on a powwow committee that wanted to give debit/credit cards with the prize money loaded on the card to be used like a credit card. I strongly recommended against it.

Recently, I was given one of these cards as payment for being on head staff. I had a lot of problems with this card.

Have any of you been given one of these cards?

Would you mind receiving one of these cards with the prize money loaded on it?
    Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Originally posted by WhoMe View Post
    Cash management is a tricky business when handling tens of thousands of dollars.

I have been on a powwow committee that wanted to give debit/credit cards with the prize money loaded on the card to be used like a credit card. I strongly recommended against it.

Recently, I was given one of these cards as payment for being on head staff. I had a lot of problems with this card.

I have never been given a piece of plastic for my services at powwow. I wouldn't accept it. Yes I run sound as a business both on and off the powwow circuit. I do powwows for our people usually at a loss or break even point. Concerts are another story. Powwow is a "cash only" part of my business. I will accept checks from established people written in my name. Not the company name. It's a banking thing.

Plastic can be traced easily. Every time you swipe that card, the big guys know you were there and what you got. It's another way for big brother to keep his eyes on YOU!

Also try filling up your gas tank after powwow to get home with one of those cards and find out it doesn't work. You pump the gas and go inside to pay only finding out the card is no good. Who is there to bail you out? The powwow comittee that issued you the card is miles away.

Plastic for payment for powwow is just bad business for the drum or dancers. It may be easier for the comittee but who ever said putting on a powwow was easy!
    Don't ask me what I think about something unless you want a truthful anwser. It may not be the anwser you are looking for.

It's better to fly with the eagles then drive with the turkeys.

Duct tape has a light side and dark side that binds our universe together.

Bad attatude lessons available here. To inquire, Check the box to the right. []

Comment

I never heard of this. I know when I personally get prepaid visa cards or whatever, there is always a fee either to reload it, to use it, or to activate it. It also is a pain when you go to use it at some place and thier credit card machine is down. I know some powwows even are starting to make the winners and participants fill out tax forms. I'm not to sure if I'm for that either. But I guess times are changing. But I know if that's whats given as money, LOL, I will take it also.

Comment

I got a $100 prepaid VISA debit card from rent.com because I signed a lease with a company that I saw on their site. I got the card, was excited, went to the store...and found out it didn't work at Dollar General, nor the grocery store, although it did work at Walmart and Linens and Things. I have no idea why some stores didn't take it, while others did. I literally ended up going to stores and trying to buy one item to see if it would work. So I'd say...be careful because maybe not all stores take these cards? I really don't know, but my experience with a prepaid debit card wasn't so hot.

Comment

i would say......DON"T TAKE IT........, cause you can't be sure there is anything on it....

went to a pow wow the other weekend and the committee paid the head dancer $25 in cash and the rest in a check and the same thing for the host drum but it was $200 and the rest in a check.........daan you can't even split the drum check until later and the head dancers, that wasn't even enough for gas

Comment

TKMJ - a lil bit paranoid huh?

I think THE MAN is much more interested in you taking checks in your personal name for business purposes.

As far as buying gas, every gas station I have been to has a pay at the pump for credit. If the card is no good, it doesnt allow you to pump. The only think to watch out for is when the pump does a check and makes sure the card can take a certain amount bofer pumping. I think soem pumps check for at leat $100 credit before pumping.

As powwows get more business like, you will have to deal with whatever method of payment they choose. Pretty soon they will direct debit your bank accounts!
            There are 2 types of people in the world...
            Really stupid people who think they are smart
            and
            Really smart people who think they are smart.

Comment

hello ,of corse i never got money from a powwow but i would like to say somthing here it about buying on line..i have had a few of those pre paided cc and walmart works best but when buying on line or paying bills on line i have begune to worry ...not long ago i got high speed inter net and with that came all kind of bugs im running 3 diffrent kinds of spy wair,but im thinking that maybe there still is a banking bug that in the root and if and when i try to pay a bill on line or order somthing using a card it just might track the numbers and clean out my account,this is a real worry as im selling my house and i close on the 22
              and i have had my eye on some thigs that can only be had from on line...any thought about this and how anyone might be safe using a cc on line
              thanks
              Last edited by 2lineCarrandMorgan; 08-13-2008, 10:07 AM.
              Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass..It's about learning to dance in the rain. for me and the wolf

Comment

well in my experience with prepaid credit cards ... they all need to be activated before you use it the first time ... by calling the 1800 or 1877 number that comes with the card. after that they kewl.

we dont have prepaid debit cards here in canada ... jus our actual bank issued debit cards. we have been using the interac system nationwide for the last 15 yrs minimum - where you pay for things directly from your bank account with your bank debit card. so our system has been good for long time .... heck there are booths at the pow wow last night ... that you could use your bank card to buy things from their booths LOL. but in the last couple years i've noticed ... alot of commercials for debit cards for the US on the TV. your system is probably still getting the gliches out maybe. so i wouldnt see a problem with .... prepaid credit and debit cards here ...
                Watch your broken dreams...
                Dance in and out of the beams of a neon moon

Comment

thank you chazziff.. when i de buged my computer i got a warning about the banking theft... im fixing to open a account in a week and then ill will ask about how to make sure the on line thing is safe...
                  but it was so offaul getting those trogen and stuff like that on my computer..ever day im getting somthing from diffrent countrys about me winning money and thay want my bank info....how did thay find me lol ...

im hoping that others dont have the same kind of problem with someone trying to clean out thier money.
                  Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass..It's about learning to dance in the rain. for me and the wolf

Comment

ya ... you have to be really really careful ... and the rule of thumb is ... NO BANK WILL EVER EMAIL YOU AND ASK YOU FOR YOUR PASSWORD FOR ANY REASON (because ... they have it already ... duh!! LOL). so never ever ever give out your banking or debit card pin/password ... to anyone in an email .. letter or phonecall.
                    Watch your broken dreams...
                    Dance in and out of the beams of a neon moon

Comment

Well I sell Visa Gift cards and I do not like them.

I get them for prizes at work sometimes, And if you make a purchase sometimes it will decline everything else because that transaction has not come off yet.

NOt to mention there is a fee if the amount is not used in 6 months.

Personally I am not into checks or debit cards.

And just on the topic,
                      Never Ever EVER allow a credit company, or any company to have your accoutn number. They will try to get you to do it offering you discount, but then once they have your actual account number they can debit account as they see fit, especially with credit repair companies.

Give out your debit number to them is ok. BUt Never the account number. I've seen peoples bank accounts massacred because of this.

Comment

I would give anything.....

To see the expression on some folks faces if and when someone hands them a debit/credit card..LOL! My Dad used to say.....In regards to payment make sure its clear as crystal you want Cash! No Checks...Cause on a Sunday there ain't jack you can do with it except make a paper airplane or wipe your azz......Debit cards...1 geh!

"She also has a very soft skin. The only trouble with snake women is they copulate with horses, which makes them strange to me. She say's she doesn't. That's why I call her "Doesn't Like Horses". But, of course, she's lying."

Comment

Originally posted by billyjoejimbob View Post
                          TKMJ - a lil bit paranoid huh?

I think THE MAN is much more interested in you taking checks in your personal name for business purposes.

As far as buying gas, every gas station I have been to has a pay at the pump for credit. If the card is no good, it doesnt allow you to pump. The only think to watch out for is when the pump does a check and makes sure the card can take a certain amount bofer pumping. I think soem pumps check for at leat $100 credit before pumping.

As powwows get more business like, you will have to deal with whatever method of payment they choose. Pretty soon they will direct debit your bank accounts!
                          Not paranoid at all Billy. The sound system I use for powwow is strictly for powwow. It never sees a concert stage where alcohol or drugs can be involved. I don't like tainted speakers in my circle. For me things have to be just so for powwow. It's a me thing.

I keep the powwow sound system seperate from the rest of my business. The two parts shall never meet. If I was to include the powwow system as part of my studio and concert business, prices would go up to the point that a powwow could not afford my system with taxes, workmans comp, social security, and all. The money I make from powwow goes to fuel, food, and sound system repairs. Most of the time I lose or come close to breaking even with the dollars. Last year, I lost $211 on powwow by the end of the year. So in my eyes, I had a great year. We did 31 powwows. Do you know anyone who could go to 31 powwows on $211 and eat too? Besides, as the sound guy, I have the best seat in the house!

So to keep powwow costs down, Cash is always best.
                          Don't ask me what I think about something unless you want a truthful anwser. It may not be the anwser you are looking for.

Comment

Another thought about this debit card thing. With cash you can count it. With a check you can see its value written and signed. With a debit card, you really don't know what is on it until you leave the powwow and try to use it.

By that time, its too late to have thing corrected if wrong.

Also the magnetic strip on the back and get damaged or wiped out on store counters with anti theft devices, in hospitals where magnetics are used. in computer areas at work, and other places. They also usually have an experation date. Where does the money go if not used? It goes in the banks pocket. A case in point are gift cards from Walmart. Many people use the cards and leave a few dollars on the card and forget abot them or accidentl get them zapped away. Walmart and many other places make a fortune on expired cards.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.