Convention Powwows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Convention Powwows

There are convention powwows that go on all the time. At these powwows, visitors there for the convention and the local Native community come together to make these successful.

Is it better to get head staff chosen from the convention visitors or local community?

Why?
    Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

I vote for local for one reason,
    when I ended up at these conventions I almost never have my regalia with me- work only pays for certain things and the $50 checking charge for the super rolly bag that my regalia goes in is definitely not on that list. Also, I don't trust airport security not to freak out about my regalia (I keep imagining someone from TSA trying to claim that they were threatened by an otter pelt or felt that a tail stick could be used as a lethal weapon)

So anyways, local folks are best.

Plus one of the cool things about these events is sometimes getting to see some things that are unique to your hosts- smoke dances, salmon dance, stomp exhibitions, that kind of thing.

Comment

I also agree its a good idea to have local head staff. That way, attendees can actually meet some local people. Instead of attending a conference and remembering what the hotel was like (or not remembering, as the case may be), they'll see a little bit of the local native community.

Comment

x

:-x

Comment

Figuring many of the attendees are engaged in "business" at the conference its probably a wise choice to select staff from the local area. On the other hand you get a wide variety of people who attend conventions (conferences) so you can get a good mix of folks from all over if you select from both "pools". I certainly have some good convention stories.....
          "She also has a very soft skin. The only trouble with snake women is they copulate with horses, which makes them strange to me. She say's she doesn't. That's why I call her "Doesn't Like Horses". But, of course, she's lying."

Comment

In my experience I have witnessed visiting celebrity emcees at convention powwows that totally butcher the last names of the local folk.
            Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.