Women emcees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Women emcees

A couple of weeks ago, I was asked to emcee a powwow at a local university. Part of my commitment was to mentor a student from the university summer program and one from the local community.

One student was female and the other was male. Dispite their lack of experience, they both did really well and I was proud of them. Between the three of us, we were able to inform, entertain, educate, keep an unbroken continuity and make people laugh.

After the powwow, someone told me that this was the first time they ever heard a woman emcee. I told him that it was not common. I have heard only 3 women emcee previous to this.

What do you think of women taking on the role of emcees?
    Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Well, it's certainly not "traditional", but why not? Things change each year at pow wows...this will catch on quickly I predict.

As gender roles change within our communities, women will take up roles traditionally held by men more and more. Right or wrong, good or bad, it is happening and will continue to happen.

Just so the emcee, man or woman, has a good sense of humor, a nice speaking voice, and keeps the dance moving...more power to them.
    I think everyone on this rez is addicted to Harry Potter...lol...

Comment

i SAY GO FOR IT!!!
      The only time its too late to start dancing is when you're dead.

Comment

I don't see anything wrong with it from a traditional standpoint, unless you take into account that in some tribes, women are not supposed to do public speaking. Some folks still do this here in Oklahoma and have a man speak on their behalf, but I don't see anything wrong with women emcees. I've never seen it but I think it'd be cool to get a woman's take on things. Many times it's our women (our grannies, aunties, and moms) who set us straight out there anyway!

Comment

I've been to a pow wow where there was a woman MC. Whome, it was that one we were at a few years ago.

I don't have a problem with a woman MCing, I can't hear that that well is the thing. Women's voices are higher pitched then men (Usually) and when it comes over the MIC, if you are somewhere other then right there you really will miss alot, or at least I did. I can hear and understand what a man (deeper voice and more prominent) says even when other's are around.

But I don't see anything wrong with a woman MC, I just can't always hear and understand what they are saying.LOL

Comment

I have a woman friend who MCed a couple times, never heard her but I think its fine.

Comment

I think it's fine as long as she doesn't have a whiny, nasally sounding voice.

Comment

Originally posted by WhoMe View Post
                A couple of weeks ago, I was asked to emcee a powwow at a local university. Part of my commitment was to mentor a student from the university summer program and one from the local community.

One student was female and the other was male. Dispite their lack of experience, they both did really well and I was proud of them. Between the three of us, we were able to inform, entertain, educate, keep an unbroken continuity and make people laugh.

After the powwow, someone told me that this was the first time they ever heard a woman emcee. I told him that it was not common. I have heard only 3 women emcee previous to this.

What do you think of women taking on the role of emcees?
                I have only been to one powwow that we had a woman MC
                Here in oklahoma
                It was bit wierd at first just because its not so common
                I am not sure that a "younger" woman or one that is not well known could do it here
                It was for a benefit powwow here in the City at Western Heights
                ᎠᏂᎩᏚᏩᎩ - Anigiduwagi
                Till I Die!

Comment

Originally posted by Wojapi4Me View Post
                  Well, it's certainly not "traditional", but why not? Things change each year at pow wows...this will catch on quickly I predict.
                  That's the way of all things.

No issues, here.

Eventually, for example, women will Gourd Dance: it's just inevitable.

Comment

What about women arena directors? I've seen it once and she did a great job. I was asked to take on that role but not quite sure if I should accept or not.
                    I'm not mean....You're just a sissy

http://www.mytribalspace.com/tribal/...ame_ndngirl70/
                    http://www.myspace.com/ndngirl70

Comment

Ya know I have commented that at some of the bigger events it would be nice to have 1 male AD and 1 female AD....
                      Nothing good can come to a man trying to handle a complaint from one woman about another.

Comment

Originally posted by legalstraight View Post
                        Ya know I have commented that at some of the bigger events it would be nice to have 1 male AD and 1 female AD....
                        Nothing good can come to a man trying to handle a complaint from one woman about another.

legal and ndngirl,

I think Red Earth had a woman AD before. I know others probably have as well. No doubt women can do the job.

However, many tribes still believe women should not be in the arena or around drums during certain times. I think this is one of the main reasons for why there have not been more women AD's in the past.
                        Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

Originally posted by WhoMe View Post
                          However, many tribes still believe women should not be in the arena or around drums during certain times. I think this is one of the main reasons for why there have not been more women AD's in the past.
                          It's easy to find women who are perfectly safe in this regard.
                          It's a well known fact that there are many women who are blessed in never having certain times coincide with weekends. Just keep note of who all you see running into the winners circle 4-9 weekends in a row (and to be fair, also those who don't necessarily place but still are still powwowing every weekend). I pity those not blessed in this way who have to miss out on powwows, can't handle their feathers, etc. Life is tough!
                          ScarryWolf

Comment

Or an active elder woman, which is even better because it is hard to argue with them.

Comment

Originally posted by BigChef View Post
                              It's easy to find women who are perfectly safe in this regard.
                              It's a well known fact that there are many women who are blessed in never having certain times coincide with weekends. Just keep note of who all you see running into the winners circle 4-9 weekends in a row (and to be fair, also those who don't necessarily place but still are still powwowing every weekend). I pity those not blessed in this way who have to miss out on powwows, can't handle their feathers, etc. Life is tough!
                              Subtle.

Nice.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.