Some general questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some general questions

I guess I'll help start off the new forum with a few general observations/questions that have been posed to me / posed by me....

Awhile back (maybe a year or two) I was at a powwow with 2 Chicken dancers. The MC decided it would be a good idea to feature them to the spectators (non-comp powwow). I believe (in my infantile understanding of the dance) that they had done nothing wrong. A traditional dancer stepped out while they were dancing and turned his back to them and then danced in place. I have never seen this before at a powwow. Thoughts? I don't want to speculate, but I didn't get a chance to ask him, and I haven't seen him since.

Has Chicken dancing become a mainstream style, or is it still limited to members of appropriate societies? Is it a new fad that is expanding, or is it fairly localized? Obviously there have been Chicken dancers at some of the big competitions, but are they also attending non-comp powwows?

Thanks all!
    A tater tot is worth a thousand fries.

kick that trad. dancer in the pipe bag!

Talk about rude! Chicken is certainly not limited. If it was, it would be a pretty boring category; seeing only a few certain dancers all the time. Boy....suit up, get some tights and some beadwork and get out there. I seen chicken dancers from all over. Make your outfit different even, and remember that you don't even have to look like a chicken, or dance like one, you'll be just laughing matierial if you do. You can dance extremely cocky, that's how it was done in the ol days of the dance. Back in the 60's, 70's, this dance was really popular on the Canadian plains, then for some reason it almost died out. Until recently, the early 90's - today, it has made a serious comeback, and is featured in its own category in the northern states and pretty well everywhere in Alberta and Saskatchewan. It is totally fine for everyone to dance this style of dance.

Comment

The elders' in the Sioux Lookout banned this dance (along with the crow hop) for disturbin the peace back in the 90s.

They might talk to you about it if you perform it too cocky or spend too much time struttin your stuff in front of a woman who is coupled up - but i doubt they'd run you out of town.

Just a friendly heads up.

~SL Prairie Chicken Dancer
      Mii iw keyaa ezhi-ditibiseyaan

Comment

Thanks. I'm kinda in a geographically CRAPPY place for powwows and stuff -- Northern Kentucky isn't exactly known as a rockin' area, if you get my drift. Good to here what's going on in "the real world".

Thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by andre
          A traditional dancer stepped out while they were dancing and turned his back to them and then danced in place. I have never seen this before at a powwow. Thoughts? I don't want to speculate, but I didn't get a chance to ask him, and I haven't seen him since.
          Sounds like another case of a know-it-all acting like an a$$. It would have been funny to hear that traditional dancer - who I'm sure was wearing a large, over-extended eagle bustle - be told that the Prairie Chicken Dancers were performing a dance older in nature than his "traditional dance". Keep in mind that traditional dancing in its present form didn't even get going until the 1950s...before then it was all Old-Style which is completely different. Prairie Chicken Dancers were kicking it at least in the 1920s if not earlier.
          I think everyone on this rez is addicted to Harry Potter...lol...

Comment

Obviously I've done absolutely no real research on the dance. How has the regalia evolved over the last century, or has it been pretty consistent? Some people I've seen are using really bright neon colors now, but other than that kind of stuff what has developed/changed?

Comment

talk about rude dude - to actually go stand out there like they were doing something WRONG or something. some people's kids ...

as for the chicken dance regalia - most go with a velvet cape and aprons with beaded flowers/designs and beaded armbands/cuffs/legbands ... but there some out there with cloth applique capes/aprons/cuffs/etc. guess it's totally up to you what you have time/money to bead/sew. some have the long set of bells going the length of the leg from the belt to ankle bells - others no. there are some dancers with alot of dyed plumes on various parts of their regalia - on the cape for example...

but as with other styles/categories there seems to be a change towards more sequins (sequin shirts/pants) and neon colors and brightly dyed plumes lately ... guess it is more up to your personal taste...
              Watch your broken dreams...
              Dance in and out of the beams of a neon moon

Comment

Originally posted by Singerdad
                Sounds like another case of a know-it-all acting like an a$$. It would have been funny to hear that traditional dancer - who I'm sure was wearing a large, over-extended eagle bustle - be told that the Prairie Chicken Dancers were performing a dance older in nature than his "traditional dance". Keep in mind that traditional dancing in its present form didn't even get going until the 1950s...before then it was all Old-Style which is completely different. Prairie Chicken Dancers were kicking it at least in the 1920s if not earlier.
                Totally and undisputedly correct sir.

and yes, FOOTBALL IS ON!!!
                Mii iw keyaa ezhi-ditibiseyaan

Comment

"Traditional Dancer with an over-sized Bustle" (singerdad)

LMAO - That's some funny stuff. That always bugged the heck out of me, how some trad. dancers like a big bustle. Kinda like J.Lo, but on a man? TOTALLY GAY. Get a real bustle, bigger is not better only if you're a woman. lol!

Comment

If that traditional dancer had done that to me, we would have had words after the powwow. The nerve.

Anyway, down here in the south, there are VERY few chicken dancers and as far as regalia goes, there are some things we all have.

-Capes, aprons, and cuffs with the chainette fringe (the 3 inch kind), tights, chicken bustle (usually messy style) and two phesant feathers with fluffs coming out of the roach. But feel free to try new things. Oh yeah, mirror boards are big, too.
                    Well, I'd tell you what it was... but then I'd be braggin' -Pop

Comment

I'm not sure if this helps, but here's a crappy picture of my regalia. I did it on paint so bear with me.

Note the Cape, apron, bells, crow loops, and phesant feathers. (Sorry I didnt color all of it.)

Comment

Originally posted by Crowmagnum
                        I'm not sure if this helps, but here's a crappy picture of my regalia. I did it on paint so bear with me.

Note the Cape, apron, bells, crow loops, and phesant feathers. (Sorry I didnt color all of it.)
                        Holy Guacamole!!! You did that in Paint? I'm fairly artistic, but I can't draw a straight line in Paint, and they have a tool for that. I'd say it's fine work! Thanks for the pic.

Comment

Not a problem. If you have any more questions that I can help with, just let me know.

Comment

hi

Comment

hi

it doesnt look that bad but dont get me wrong peopple it looks way better up close and personal

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X