• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One of the Best Threads here at Powwows.Com ^^^
    sigpic

Comment

Prairie Chicken (Grouse) Dance

Maybe people get so confused about this dance because Turtle Island never had chickens. They were brought in by the Europeans. The bird and the dance that we so love is the Prairie Grouse and not a chicken at all. And since the Prairie Grouse is such a wonderful winter survivor, why wouldn't both Nations, Cree and Blackfeet, admire, respect and learn from it? What is really sad is there are no more Prairie Grouse (at least in the wild) in Manitoba, Alberta or anywhere in Canada. Maybe at the powwows, instead of putting out prizes for best dancer, the money should go to restoring those beautiful birds back to their original habitat.

Comment

Originally posted by Kahyonha View Post
        Maybe people get so confused about this dance because Turtle Island never had chickens. They were brought in by the Europeans. The bird and the dance that we so love is the Prairie Grouse and not a chicken at all. And since the Prairie Grouse is such a wonderful winter survivor, why wouldn't both Nations, Cree and Blackfeet, admire, respect and learn from it? What is really sad is there are no more Prairie Grouse (at least in the wild) in Manitoba, Alberta or anywhere in Canada. Maybe at the powwows, instead of putting out prizes for best dancer, the money should go to restoring those beautiful birds back to their original habitat.
        Err... the praire grouse is alive and well and living in my back 400...

Took this pic in the spring... http://www.powwows.com/gathering/sho...6&postcount=26
        A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. — Robert A. Heinlein

I can see the wheel turning but the Hamster appears to be dead.

Comment

Prairie Chicken (Grouse) Dance

Awesome film! Apparently there's several species of prairie grouse and your film is of one of the cousin species to the Greater Prairie Grouse which really booms and hollers. I guess the Prairie Grouse, like the People, has several dialects and Nations. Skennen'kowa! Go (or should I say Dance?) in peace!

Comment

Nice

LIke the history of the Chicken Dance and enjoy dancing Chicken even though i use my Crow Style outfit which is like our "Hot Dance society" I enjoy jamming.

Comment

Prairie Grouse ("Chicken") Dance

Dear Grace Old Elk -- Nice to see your post! How about a photo or movie of you dancing to honor these wonderful birds? http://www.powwows.com/gathering/images/icons/icon6.gif

I am making a medicine bundle for a dear friend's daughter who will be one month old in 2 weeks and ready to survive in the world. I'm putting 4 designs on it based on the Prairie Grouse dance bustle so she'll know to be strong and beautiful in each of the four seasons of life.

When you dance the dance, what is most meaningful to you? What is your favorite part of the story/teaching?

Comment

this is my favorit dance
                http://youtu.be/6-13fkeaWTI
                Last edited by 2lineCarrandMorgan; 10-02-2012, 10:26 PM.
                Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass..It's about learning to dance in the rain. for me and the wolf

Comment

Prairie Grouse ("Chicken") Dance

Nuts. Your youtube link didn't come through. http://www.powwows.com/gathering/images/icons/icon9.gif Could you provide the key words and I'll bring it up that way?

Comment

dear n... the link works for me. here is the utube name DM 2010 Chicken Dance Special Champion Robert Fish i think he is the man thats in the sliver and black ,julian is the other man in the dance off, there is only one other persone i have heard of... that understand this dance better than the men i have seen dancing here .i dont see a lot of chicken dances but it is my fav really, this year at the austin powow i belive the dancers will be comming out to dance sooo looking to see them
                    Last edited by 2lineCarrandMorgan; 10-03-2012, 10:18 PM.
                    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass..It's about learning to dance in the rain. for me and the wolf

Comment

Originally posted by upriver_tla View Post
                      " Powwow is a celebration that is to be shared, Its time we stop separating each other because of what tribe we are. We are all brothers and sisters."

thats my personal input on the subject.
                      While I agree about sharing the celebration part of your statement and taking pride in being a part of this beautiful group of original descendents of this land, I think there are some things that we need to respect as a part of a certain tribes customs and heritage,
                      Sure we can all party together with the commaraderie that was not present in the creation of our people hundreds of years ago, but we need to keep some things within our own tribes, thereby honoring those of our ancestors who paved the way for us to live the lives we do now. Some things are sacred to each of our tribes and there should be that respect to leave those things as they were meant to be.
                      It happened to the native peoples of Europe. Once their lives became more civilized and each country established their own set of customs, the rest of the world sort of put them all in the same category and in doing so, some of their true customs and the resulting pride of togetherness was lost.
                      While I would like to say this should not be allowed to happen to our civilization, I think we all know it is too late to believe this will actually happen.
                      "Sometimes the character of the opposition defines why something ought to be the most politically viable thing in the world that needs to be changed"

Comment

Originally posted by Elo Janis View Post
                        It happened to the native peoples of Europe. Once their lives became more civilized and each country established their own set of customs, the rest of the world sort of put them all in the same category and in doing so, some of their true customs and the resulting pride of togetherness was lost.
                        And yet the Euro is worth more than the dollar and they're all still individual nations...

Comment

old thread....interesting read.......i saw chicken dancing getting big last few years....thought it was new at first but my mom assured me it was an old dance coming back...she said they used to do the small chicken bustles without all the neon and stuff......and the girls used to cluck at them when they danced by for intertribals and the chickens would scratch, peck and all that in front of them...that had to be late 50's early 60s when my mom was a young teen
                          "I on the trail of a possible good Indian lady and she is reported to like the old way's and she to believes in big family and being at home with kids all the time"... - MOTOOPI aka WOUNDED BEAR

Comment

Originally posted by 2lineCarrandMorgan View Post
                            That was FUN!!! and Funny, esp. at the end!!!! Thanks!
                            "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

Comment

you know what them chicken dancers look like? fancy dancers back in the 50s and 60s thats how the used to dress

Comment

I am hearing about the chicken dance for the first time and already started liking it catalogues no credit check

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.