X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • t-bone
    Dont be a powwow bumb
    • Oct 2008

what about the crows and arikiras...their not chikin dancers???why hasnt it ever skipped a beat with them but almost died every where else..why does evreyone sing THEIR double beat songs for their chickin dances??it seems to me they have always been their doing it...
    from da 406 to the 509 and every 49, it's all fine in da 09

Comment

• braidsnbustles
      Sugar Bear First Strike
      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Mz_FoXy_MoMmA View Post
      Very good words...but just a question...besides MARVIN CALFROBE, SHAWN & JO SAM SCABBYROBE...idk any other good Blackfeet/Blackfoot dancers???? Where they @ n why don't they come down to the states and show us how it's done, then? (...Guy said, "QUIT TELL'N STORIES)

Another thing...Aren't society dancers and their bustles supposed to only dance in the Spring Time (mating season?) AND NOT bring thier bustles to TAINTED powwows????

Powwows nowadays are NO PLACE for ceremonious things anymore!!! Small things, yes but nothing more...the circle has been tainted by drugs...alcohol...hatred...jealousy...etc. there is so much confusion because back n the day (when the white man introduced these toxins) we (ALL ndn ppl) lost A LOT of our ways...our men were becoming drunks and our women were traded as whores while the children suffered. So the ******* children that grew up, grew up w/o that straight path to follow and so NOW we have "ELDERS" that THINK and ACT like they know everything about every damn thing...and if they don't...THEY'LL make $h!t up...which is more common than ppl think so b4 u go believ'n ppl...look into how they were raised...who raised 'em...and how they've lived thier lives. If the man/woman was jes an ol drunk that "recently" woke up and smell'd the coffee, and now is an "ELDER" and is leading ppl...be sure they're doing it FOR THE PPL and NOT to make THEMSELVES "famously holy" n the circut. Don't get me wrong, I respect all of my Elders but to me, u have to EARN the right to b an Elder...any fool can grow old...but REAL wisdom and knowledge goes w/o recognition...so the next time u hear someone preaching around on the mic about this or that...THINK about what they're really saying and why they're saying it...so yeah...SOCIETY DANCES DON'T BELONG IN THE POWWOW ARENA...there is a place and a time for all things...IF U PUT A # ON AND COMPETE FOR $$$$$ then u can kiss that "Society" goodbye...one can't get more tainted than to put his Society belt on and go compete for fame/glory/money. It's a new age and a new day, I believe the chikk'n dance has become too darn political and ppl shuld just DANCE and HAVE FUN DOING IT!!!!!!

...If a man can put on a SACRED jingle dress (which was/is a SOCIETY DANCE), and dance around all slutty/disrespectful like, then ppl can dance chikk'n...either way, we'll all get a good laugh outta it...right?
      i could not agree more. in every way this lady has laid it down 4 ya. remember, we as the BFC did not recognize it as the "fancy prairie chicken dance" or what ever theyre callin it nowadays; we called it grass dance. and before a warrior named eagle rib removed the feather belt from the crow encampment, we had no use 4 bustles. my fellow chicken GUY FOX informed me that even the gros ventures or white clay had there own style of grass dance, they and the crow also showed us the songs to the feather belt and what its purpose was. of course a majority of the songs you hear at pow-wows mimic that of the bfc drum style like bullhorn, turning robe, kia-spia singers blackfoot A1 club singers. in correlation with kiayo's story, which by the way has been told 2 me by treff, the chicken dance came after the all the ceremonies and transfers were done, to cheer people up and get them back into movement. marvin calfrobe told me this "even my mother danced chicken", so if jus like ms fox said, its 4 every body!!!!!!!!!
      TAKING AWESOME 2 A WHOLE NEW LEVEL

Comment

• killakam81
        Pow Wow Visitor
        • Jan 2010

Prairie Chicken Society

Hi Im a prairie chicken dancer and ive been dancing for about a year now. I realized now that i have come into the circle the wrong way and i want to do it right. How would i go about trying to be initiated into the Chicken Society?

Comment

• WhoMe
          PauWau Coordinator
          • Jul 2003

Originally posted by killakam81 View Post
          Hi Im a prairie chicken dancer and ive been dancing for about a year now. I realized now that i have come into the circle the wrong way and i want to do it right. How would i go about trying to be initiated into the Chicken Society?

killa,

Go to every powwow that you have chicken danced at and dance backward.

*L

Anybody?
          Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

• t-bone
            Dont be a powwow bumb
            • Oct 2008

hell with it..iam just gonna start killin people...AYE i jks!!
            from da 406 to the 509 and every 49, it's all fine in da 09

Comment

• Iowa_Boy
              HUUUUUUUUUH!
              • Apr 2007

Originally posted by whome View Post
              killa,

go to every powwow that you have chicken danced at and dance backward.

*l

anybody?
              best. Post. Ever.

Comment

• StereoTypicalHarley
                catfish: food of the gods
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ojibwaysweetie View Post
                I think the exact same. Your words are the best I've seen yet. I can sympathize with you on this very much so. I about heaved when I saw the video of the polish people dancing with our jingle dress. Like you say, all spiritual sacredness is gone.
                A friend of mine's parents went to Germany a couple years back and there were people there on the sidewalks wearing buckskins and dancing. I don't know what they were dancing, but still. And her parents brought me back a dreamcatcher from over there, I looked all delighted and said thank you....but I'm still not sure what to do with it.
                Come together, right now....Over me.

Comment

• BigChef
                  Tiny Tot Dancer
                  • Dec 2009

Originally posted by nativeproud View Post
                  A friend of mine's parents went to Germany a couple years back and there were people there on the sidewalks wearing buckskins and dancing. I don't know what they were dancing, but still. And her parents brought me back a dreamcatcher from over there, I looked all delighted and said thank you....but I'm still not sure what to do with it.
                  Hang it over your fridge to protect the flavor of your german beer! It will give you good dreams when you pass out. You better do it, don't be disrespectful.
                  ScarryWolf

Comment

• Iridealone
                    The Lone Rider
                    • Aug 2009

Originally posted by BigChef View Post
                    Hang it over your fridge to protect the flavor of your german beer! It will give you good dreams when you pass out. You better do it, don't be disrespectful.
                    These words are spoken like a true, sacred Big Chef!

I have spoken.

Comment

• killakam81
                      Pow Wow Visitor
                      • Jan 2010

chicken fighting

I was at Rocky Boy watching the face off and i was wondering how chicken fighting works? What is the basis of chicken fighting and how do you fight if u are challenged?

Comment

• StereoTypicalHarley
                        catfish: food of the gods
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by BigChef View Post
                        I most definitely will....wouldn't want to anger the brew spirits!!!
                        Come together, right now....Over me.

Comment

• giovannis
                          Pow Wow Visitor
                          • Jun 2009

Its sad that I have to go online to trry and learn these things. I am a Lakota living in Pennsylvania. We do not have chicken dancers out here. I think we have one, but he's not someone I wanna learn from(drugs,alcohol,etc.) So this raises the question,,,how do I go about learning the Chicken Dance? Im just a young'n so I have no transportation to travel cross country. I saw this dance, and I knew I wanted to learn it. I dance round bustle as of now, but I was getting comments about my footwork getting a little to fancy. I somewhat understand the spiritual side to the chicken dance, especially after reading the great origin story that was posted. But I know nothing about the proper ways to make the Regalia. I know so little about this dance, and I wanna learn it in a good way, the proper way. Anyone have any ideas?

Comment

• short apache girl
                            Pow Wow Visitor
                            • Dec 2009

Originally posted by sookout sh'nob View Post
                            Cree stuff....

Pihewisimowin (The Prairie Chicken Dance Ceremony)

and

George Ceepeekous

George has passed on - but that's what those old guys do . Lucky for us we still have some of his words around.
                            i read it all. its so awesome to hear wisdom.

Comment

• sookout sh'nob
                              Boogie Monster
                              • Nov 2003

Originally posted by short apache girl View Post
                              i read it all. its so awesome to hear wisdom.
                              Yup, and for free too.
                              Mii iw keyaa ezhi-ditibiseyaan

Comment

• ChahtaGrasser
                                Chahta Champion
                                • Nov 2007

too true!!

Originally posted by Mz_FoXy_MoMmA View Post
                                Very good words...but just a question...besides MARVIN CALFROBE, SHAWN & JO SAM SCABBYROBE...idk any other good Blackfeet/Blackfoot dancers???? Where they @ n why don't they come down to the states and show us how it's done, then? (...Guy said, "QUIT TELL'N STORIES)

Another thing...Aren't society dancers and their bustles supposed to only dance in the Spring Time (mating season?) AND NOT bring thier bustles to TAINTED powwows????

Powwows nowadays are NO PLACE for ceremonious things anymore!!! Small things, yes but nothing more...the circle has been tainted by drugs...alcohol...hatred...jealousy...etc. there is so much confusion because back n the day (when the white man introduced these toxins) we (ALL ndn ppl) lost A LOT of our ways...our men were becoming drunks and our women were traded as whores while the children suffered. So the ******* children that grew up, grew up w/o that straight path to follow and so NOW we have "ELDERS" that THINK and ACT like they know everything about every damn thing...and if they don't...THEY'LL make $h!t up...which is more common than ppl think so b4 u go believ'n ppl...look into how they were raised...who raised 'em...and how they've lived thier lives. If the man/woman was jes an ol drunk that "recently" woke up and smell'd the coffee, and now is an "ELDER" and is leading ppl...be sure they're doing it FOR THE PPL and NOT to make THEMSELVES "famously holy" n the circut. Don't get me wrong, I respect all of my Elders but to me, u have to EARN the right to b an Elder...any fool can grow old...but REAL wisdom and knowledge goes w/o recognition...so the next time u hear someone preaching around on the mic about this or that...THINK about what they're really saying and why they're saying it...so yeah...SOCIETY DANCES DON'T BELONG IN THE POWWOW ARENA...there is a place and a time for all things...IF U PUT A # ON AND COMPETE FOR $$$$$ then u can kiss that "Society" goodbye...one can't get more tainted than to put his Society belt on and go compete for fame/glory/money. It's a new age and a new day, I believe the chikk'n dance has become too darn political and ppl shuld just DANCE and HAVE FUN DOING IT!!!!!!

...If a man can put on a SACRED jingle dress (which was/is a SOCIETY DANCE), and dance around all slutty/disrespectful like, then ppl can dance chikk'n...either way, we'll all get a good laugh outta it...right?

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.