• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'mim ci'qin t'acnix. e'wepcukuytimse kaa i'mim tim'inepe

Qe'ciyew'yew hahtelikin,
    Kuxkux

Comment

Hey, who flamed me and took away a bead?!?

Just because I used lakota words doesnt mean Im Lakota. Its the first songs that came to my mind that should not be used for competition.

A-ho. (the A is a LOOOOOOONG A in this case)
      and imagine this is a middle finger.

C'mon and fess up. Lots of krap talk but nothing being said.
      There are 2 types of people in the world...
      Really stupid people who think they are smart
      and
      Really smart people who think they are smart.

Comment

Originally posted by Mato Winyan
        What I'd like to know.......what's wrong with passing a song? Me being an "oldster" I'm seeing that being done less and less anymore. If the committee hired a Northern drum as host and wants other songs sung............. let em hire a Southern drum to do em. Is it a matter of money or what? It just really does not make sense to me. I wouldn't hire a Baptist minister if I wanted last rites said for my dad. I wouldn't care if he could write his version of em or not.

What's wrong with teaching our younger ones this is our style and we're sticking to it? I really worry what things will be like in another 25 yrs....... 50 yrs........ etc. Anyone that has painted with oils knows that when you keep adding and changing and rearranging that after awhile you make the paint what they call "mud". It's all mixed up and you can't tell what colors were ever in it. That's how I see the powwows going.

Whoever said singing the Duck n Dive for a chicken dance or any other type of style is wrong. Its a VETERANS SONG. End of Discussion. No one should dance to this song except VETERANS. I don't think its right for anyone to dance to this song...only vets can.
        sigpic
        R.I.P. my Bros from the 1st MAR DIV, 3rd MAR DIV, 25th I.D., 10th MTN DIV, V Corps, 170th IBCT who gave their lives in the Cold War, Marines we lost in Korea during Team Spirit '89 & Okinawa '89- bodies never recovered, Panama, 1st Gulf War, Somalia, Afghanistan, Iraq...

Comment

I guess all these so called singers don't know that. So I'll say it again, Duck n Dive is a VETERANS song and not a chicken dance song.
          sigpic
          R.I.P. my Bros from the 1st MAR DIV, 3rd MAR DIV, 25th I.D., 10th MTN DIV, V Corps, 170th IBCT who gave their lives in the Cold War, Marines we lost in Korea during Team Spirit '89 & Okinawa '89- bodies never recovered, Panama, 1st Gulf War, Somalia, Afghanistan, Iraq...

Comment

Originally posted by Ndnsoldierboy
            I guess all these so called singers don't know that. So I'll say it again, Duck n Dive is a VETERANS song and not a chicken dance song.

I whole heartedly agree with the NWesterners on this story. After living in Lapwai for 2 years (yeah I was dating a Nez Perce at the time) and going to Chief Josephs Powwow, including all the NW powwows, that story is the one that has been told. I am Dine' but I still teach my son the stories that were told to me by the Nez Perce elders. He was only 3 at the time we were living there. However, the one thing I always appreciated about the Nez Perce elders, they always took the time to tell the stories, no matter what tribe you came from. They guard their history and keep telling it to the little ones so they can pass it on to others. Even though I love our Navajo history, but to be able to have other tribal history with you in heart is valuable enough.

What these guys are saying is true but the one thing that makes me giggle is that some of the duck n dive songs that are sung are more 'dip' songs. I wonder which singers know the difference...... The only few times I have heard the duck n dive song sung right was in Lapwai, Moscow, Pullman, or Couer d'alene powwows. And that song was sung for only mens tradish. Don't get me wrong the dip song is hard and furious..LOL. But you have to hand it to the true duck n dive song.....ohhhhhhhhh thats a nice one.

I have even seen a Nez Perce elder come over to other drums givin them the 'eye' for singing that song inappropriately and wrong. Soooooooo be careful when ya singing that song, that 'eye' said it all....... :D Some of you, know what I mean..... haha.
            You have crossed my path, You will never be forgotten......

EMAIL ME for GON 2014 Special Hotel, Air, and Car Rates...limited availability. Powwow special rates across the US and Canada. I also offer great vacation, business, and specialty fares to every destination in the world! Email for the rates
            [email protected]

Comment

When I come back to WA state, I'll be the FIRST NEZ PERCE to do this....This Labor Day Weekend 2006, if it happens @ Wellpinit, WA I'll the 1st one to say something. I'll the one in dress blue uniform...if I get booted from the powwow, cause of it, @ least I got my point across.

And singers are supposed to their STUFF about traditional SONGS...apparently they don't.

THIS IS A VETERANS SONG ONLY!!!!
              sigpic

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.