Crow Style

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crow Style

Do Crow style men dance in Northern tradish or Chicken?

I typically have see Crow Dancers dancing in tradish. Although I have seen a few modify there outfits some and go with chicken.
    sigpic

Contest Coordinator & Calendar Admin
    [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by tribaltagz View Post
      Do Crow style men dance in Northern tradish or Chicken?
      tribal,

They'res a video somewheres on here that has a chicken dance contest in Crow country. Several of the dancers are dancing in Crow outfits.

I have seen some Chippewa-Cree wearing Crow style outfits too!
      Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

The Crows that do powwow outside of their home area that dance "crow style" tend to dance "traditional" in the powwow sense, viewing it as their tribal interpretation of the traditional dance style. Like Leon Old Elk Stewart, he dances "traditional" but from the Crow perspective. I remember being at a powwow with a chicken special in 2004, and Leon was the head man and was dancing in the traditional contest category, but he modified his outfit a little and entered the chicken special.

Comment

Thank You

I appreciate your answers. I asked my crow relatives and they said that Chicken style is one dance of the many you have to know how to do if you're a Crow style dancer. I think to many of them Chicken is one particular dance with a specific beat style rather than a style all its own. At least that's how I understood it when they explained it to me. Just wanting to get some discussion going about different tribal styles. I know people have talked about round bustle being different than chicken and just wondered where Crow style fit into all this.

Comment

They is several influences that crow style has had on chicken dance. The use of bells down the side of the legs. Then also alot of chicken dancers were rooster tail feathers on the sides of their roaches.
            sigpic

Contest Coordinator & Calendar Admin
            [email protected]

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X