Please Teach Me!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please Teach Me!

In case you didn't know I am a boy scout. with that said I am trying to figure out what are the worst things I could do so that I can avoid them. I wish to learn so we can all enter the dance arena on good terms. I plan on taking this information to my OA lodge so that we can properly and respectfully participate in the rich native american culture.

One of my many questions is what are the symbols of native american societies that I should avoid when making my chicken dance regalia?
    Last edited by Learning Boy Scout; 01-29-2020, 09:39 AM. Reason: none

Please do not dance or make or wear very regalia. This an example of cultural appropriation. This is very harmful to us and very offensive.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Related Topics

Collapse

• SuzzeQ4
      A Question For Non-Native People...
      by SuzzeQ4
      A Question For Non-Native People...
      ...who dance in Regalia or want to.

There are many threads here at powwows.com about non-Native people who are wanting to dance or have regalia, or who do this already. There are 2 currant threads on this issue.

The common theme...
      10-10-2008, 08:12 AM
    • CEM
      The Right to Wear Items
      by CEM
      Here is a post from the N. Traditional Headgear board:

Somebody in this forum made a very good point in that all dance stuff is probably tied in some way to societies/clans. Because of this a dancer needs the "right" to wear or use it. I never really thought about this until I...
      11-03-2000, 03:45 PM
    • nbent
      Boy Scout Chicken Dance
      by nbent
      Hi everyone, I'm going to start of by saying that I am a Boy Scout and that I am in the Order of the Arrow. I know that many people on this site do not like the fact that Boy Scouts are doing Native American Dances. I would also like to say that I am respectful and always willing to learn so that I...
      03-17-2014, 07:04 PM
    • socman
      Speaking of regalia
      by socman
      This has been bugging me for a long time, so I'm finally going to stick my neck out and ask. First let me get this out of the way...I am white, not NDN, so excuse my ignorance. My wife & I very much enjoy NDN art and crafts. We attend about 4 pow wows per year. At every pow wow, and all over the...
      11-14-2007, 01:13 PM
    • Lalitah28
      Connotations of the word "red" in Native American cultures
      by Lalitah28
      Thank you for providing this forum to ask questions. I have been far removed from Native American culture here on the East Coast. My very last memories of proximity to the culture was when my father served as a volunteer doctor on a Lakota Indian Reservation circa 1979 when I was three years old, so...
      06-12-2020, 03:39 PM

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
    X