Roach Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roach Question

This may have been discussed before I never visit this forum - anyway, I am helping get my 13-year old cousin's outfit together and now we have come to the roach. He isn't sure whether to get 1 or 2 rows of hair on the roach - what is the norm????
    Becky B.

Since it's fancy, I'd say double row for deerhair- one inside and one out. Fancy dancing is mostly a contest style where i am from, so the guys tend to go for the most stylish/status giving roach they can afford/build. Single rows of deerhair on the outside are generally seen on beginning dancers (everyone starts somewhere) and children (alo occasionaly beginners).

If you mean the porky hair, The front portion of the roach is usually double rowed with the tail portion left single row - although you can double row the whole thing if you have either the $ to purchase it or the time to sew it ;)
    Mii iw keyaa ezhi-ditibiseyaan

Comment

NDNQT

Whether you get the deer hair in and out or out only is completely up to the person. Fancy dancers are usually moving fast enough that you really can't see the inside of the roach anyway. Deer hair on the outside only cuts down on the cost of the roach. However, that inside of row of deer hair does help protect the porky hair from the wear and tear that a spreader can cause, especially if too big a spreader is used. it also give the roach a cleaner look, but either way is appropriate.
      PB49

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up." Pablo Picasso

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift...that is why is it called the Present." Master Oogway - KungFu Panda

My comments are based on what I have been taught and my experiences over the years I have been around the circle. They should in no way be taken as gospel truths and are merely my opinions or attempts at passing on what I have learned while still learning more.

Comment

My suggestion would be to get a roach from powwowbum49! You won't be disappointed! His prices are very competitive, and his work is outstanding.

Just my two cents... :)
        I think everyone on this rez is addicted to Harry Potter...lol...

Comment

Singerdad, that is exactly who I planned on getting to do it. Next question, most people say 15" but one person said 18" because the hair would be 8" - what do you think??
          Becky B.

Comment

When you are buying a roach from a roach maker and not a retail outlet like Crazy Crow...you can get it with whatever hair size you want (that is available) and not just what might be the norm.

Now depending on what style of dancin, how old and big the kid is will determine what length you want. A 15" will do most kids until they are in their ear;y to mid teens. At mid teens you might want to go to an 18" and that will due them until they can buy their own later on.
            PB49

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up." Pablo Picasso

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift...that is why is it called the Present." Master Oogway - KungFu Panda

My comments are based on what I have been taught and my experiences over the years I have been around the circle. They should in no way be taken as gospel truths and are merely my opinions or attempts at passing on what I have learned while still learning more.

Comment

Well your going fo the norm then get a 18 inch porkey hair roach
              with 3 rows of deer hair. I hope this helps
              Powwows my life style

Comment

The 18 inch is atleast what ive seen them wear in oklahoma powwows and thats what my cuz inlaw wears and he is icot ( i think i spelled that right i dont contest lol) any wase the 3 rows of deer hair is what is tradish for a 18 inch roach. I grass dance im 14 but i just was able to get mony for my roach. And so i did research on what kind i needed and so i found out that fancy dancers wear 18 inch normaly :). the spreader fancy dancers sometimes maybe even alot of times get the rocker style spreader it has springs on it to help the feathers bounce and rock for more interesting action. Thats all I have to say besides you can also bead the spreader.
                Powwows my life style

Comment

of course it's a joke

Originally posted by powwowbum49
                  Now depending on what style of dancin, how old and big the kid is will determine what length you want. A 15" will do most kids until they are in their ear;y to mid teens. At mid teens you might want to go to an 18" and that will due them until they can buy their own later on.
                  Gah, and here I am 30 with only 8 inches of roach. muah!
                  Mii iw keyaa ezhi-ditibiseyaan

Comment

Gawd...might be time to upgrade.....LOL!

Point well made though...roach length is definately a matter of personal preference!
                    PB49

Comment

Roaches for fancy dancers matter very little. The roach ends up not even being noticed while you're out there jamming. Unlike grass dancers of traditional dancers where you can actually see the designs of the nicer roaches come through as they're not moving as much. There was a couple years ago that fancy dancers were trying to dress up their roaches but you see those same dancers dropping that attempt and putting focus on something else, like better bustle construction, or leggings. Like those little beaded crown things. They were a little cumbersome to attach and use. Some dancers you don't even see using different colors of deerhair, which I noticed doesn't even appear to be of any significant change. The only roach I ever really have seen stick out is Dwight WB's 5 row short hair roach that's about as stiff as a board.
                      Unfortunately, the roach is of little noticeability to the fancy feather dancer. But that just means we don't have to pay that extra money for it!

Comment

LOL I take this to great affense LOL im just playing however me being a grass dancer know grass dancers do move but you can see our roach to lol ok ill shut up now :D
                        Powwows my life style

Comment

Bingo Orphan

I do not totally agree with that. While most northern fancy dancers wear there roach feathers as spinner and thus not much attention is paid to the roach, southern boys tend to still use rockers and those feathers popping in time with the drum draws peoples eyes toward the head and thus the roach. Over the past year I have made roaches for several fancy dancers and every one of them has wanted fancy roaches to match their outfits.

There is nothing wrong with a single color roach, especially for a young dancers...but most of the big dawgs still have their old single color roach and when buying a new one usually wants to get a nice custom order one to match their outfit.

You are correct that the movement of a roach is different for fancy dancers and thus really long hair is not really needed in a roach for a fancy dancer. Going over about 9" hair can actually give the roach a funny looking movement that is not in time with the dancer. Short haired roaches are fairly popular with many fancy dancers and actually can look good with that style of dance.
                          PB49

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.