new bustle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new bustle

I'm making a new bustle set - two outer rows and no extenders. I've never made this style (no extenders), and I'm wondering if anyone on this board has made a fancy bustle without dowel extenders before and how many spikes they used? I'm trying to ball park my materials here.

Just for kicks...

On my extended bustle, I have 45 on the bottom and 49 on the top (94 total - also conicidently the year my wife graduated from high school).

My other extended bustle has closer to 76 feathers - but more hackle per spike so it still looks pretty full.
    Mii iw keyaa ezhi-ditibiseyaan

I don't recall ever seeing adult size bustle without extenders. Can you post a photo of this style bustle...the curiosity is killing me!

Comment

sounds like the old style fancy. Probably wouldnt look good with flashy beadwork and contemporary fancy stuff, unless your only 4 feet tall.
      There are 2 types of people in the world...
      Really stupid people who think they are smart
      and
      Really smart people who think they are smart.

Comment

long ago

I made a set in 1985 from tundra swan feathers. I was working as a waterfowl guide & had acess to a lot of the wings. I used only pointers, (first four wingtip feathers) and it took forever to get enough long mature birds. It was still small, but I increasedd the size of the backboards and @ the bottoms of the spikes I connected to the base using a huge wire circle. I dont remeber the deminsions or anything. I didn't use them but twice. They were a little small, and way too stiff. I eventually, stripped the hackles off to use on another set.
        I would only do this again for a tiny tot or young person.
        lostsalt
        "Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is." JW

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.