Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Rat
    replied
    Oh yea, about the undercoverings. It turns out that unless you have enormous amounts of fringe and other stuff hanging of ure outfit (think Spike Draper and Mike Roberts), your undergarments can become fairly visible when you're spinning so you don't want them to look too ugly.

Bwhite's very VERY right about the shirt that color coordinates. You can get a really shiny dress shirt in just about any color from those stores that sell western gear like cowboy hats, boots, and the like. Shorts are ok, but I tend to use full length spandex in contests. It looks a little cleaner and keeps my goats from sanding my calves all day :)

Leave a comment:

• bwhite
    replied
    I agree with you both. I understand about wanting to start on the easy stuff. Bustles, however, are the most important part of the outfit. They also take time and monetary investment. I would suggest starting with the bustles and take your time to make a nice set first. Don't rush through them to have something fast.... you'll never be satisfied with them and it would be a waste of money.

Once the bustles are done, the major parts of the outfit can go pretty quick. Someone that sews can help you with a cape and apron set, add some goats, bells, moccs and a roach and you've got a basic fancy outfit.

Then you can accessorize... You'll need side tabs, cuffs, arm bustles, head band and rossette/centerpiece, whips... add several color coordinating scarves and you're well on your way to a nice outfit.

Body covering underneath is just athletic socks, gym shorts and some type of shirt. The shirt can be made for you or use a T-Shirt or a long sleeve dress shirt that color coordinates. Nothing fancy. It will be mostly covered anyway.

The Rat is right. "The Modern Fancy Dancer" is a good reference for someone starting out.

Good Luck

Leave a comment:

• tallman
    replied
    Help for Runsinthewynd

I hear you on finding the easiest item to make first. However all good fancy dancers need good bustles. Be very careful to make sure you get advice and help so that you don't spend $$ and then end up with a set of bustles you don't like.

I believe that the bustles are the item that I see are most often done poorly. I am definitely not an expert bustle maker but that is ok since I recognize my own shortcomings and I am willing to ask.

Leave a comment:

• The Rat
    replied
    i am starting my first fancy dance outfit. what should i start with? i made my own moccasins out of a water shoe bottom threaded with leather to look like pure mocs, and they are more comfortable than pounding into the ground with regular mocs. you should try it.
    The (relatively) easiest things to make will be your goats and your whips. You can get hackles, angora (or icelandic sheepskin), and pretty much anything else you need from Crazy Crow . They have this book called "The Modern Fancy Dancer." I hear from other people that it's pretty good and tells you step by step how to make most of your gear except for, I believe, stuff like your yoke, apron, breechcloth, and sidetabs. You can get ideas for that stuff from other dancers, then either find some nice (and very patient) young lady to sew your stuff for you, or just bite the bullet and do it yourself like I did. Hope this helps bro. Good luck

Leave a comment:

• Runsinthewynd
    replied
    i am starting my first fancy dance outfit. what should i start with? i made my own moccasins out of a water shoe bottom threaded with leather to look like pure mocs, and they are more comfortable than pounding into the ground with regular mocs. you should try it.

Leave a comment:

• bwhite
    replied
    Check out some stores that carry drafting supplies. These stores carry equipment for architects, engineers, SURVEYORS, etc. There's a store here that carries that reproduces blueprints, etc. They carry a good selection of drafting supplies. They have about every color flagging tape imaginable. There's got to be some stores like that in your area.

Leave a comment:

• The Rat
    replied
    Anybody know where I can get some thick red or yellow flagging tape for my bustles? Home depot only carries neon green, white, and orange, and the tape in Crazy Crow is only 1/2" thick. Any help is appreciated.

Leave a comment:

• BeadMan
    replied
    Hey bwhite, been too busy to post. Not much in the way of fancy dance stuff right now. Dang straight dance snobs want to out-do each other and got me working overtime. When am I going to start on your new set, eh?

Leave a comment:

• tallman
    replied
    I hope to do some additional nice rosettes. The proof will be in the pudding. Getting started is the hardenst part.

Leave a comment:

• bwhite
    replied
    Sure do. Good to hear from you. Hope things are going well in Florida. I knew it was you when you said something about rosettes. You do some nice ones.

Leave a comment:

• tallman
    replied
    Hey Brad I am in the process of moving so my beads are all packed up. I am only edge beading right now. I am not currently working on any rosettes for any fancy dancers but that day will come.

Do you know who this is?

Leave a comment:

• bwhite
    replied
    Helloooooo......oooooo.....oooooo...ooooo

(listening to the echo) Is anybody in here.....ere....ere...ere

Man, I know somebody's got to be doing somethin'!

Leave a comment:

• bwhite
    started a topic Whatcha workin' on?

Whatcha workin' on?

Hey all you fancy dancers out there, it's getting a little dull in here. Anybody got any outfit construction going on?

I've just started a new set of bustles. I think they're gonna look sweet when I get them finished. I'll try to post some pics of the progress.

Tell us what you're working on.... Or if you're like me, those awesome ideas that you keep saying you're going to start working on.

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.