Feather Crests!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feather Crests!!!!!!

Here's a pic of Teddy Bison from Manito Ahbee this past November. He's got one, George Alexander, Poncho Brady, and others, but not many.

So, who's gonna make one for this year? Lostsalt?
    Attached Files

What I'm curious on is wat is on his head, i've only seen that once at a powwow once when I was kid, never was brave enough to go to the man and ask, always stuck in my head though, can some one explain please?

Comment

Originally posted by Ego-hut-key View Post
      What I'm curious on is wat is on his head, i've only seen that once at a powwow once when I was kid, never was brave enough to go to the man and ask, always stuck in my head though, can some one explain please?
      It's a feather crest, hence the title of the thread. They were big in the 40s/50s in certain places, primarily in OK. Made in a similar way as a back bustle, out of spikes with added decorations.

Comment

OH ok, lol, my bad, I thought maybe you were talking about his arm bustle, but yea, thats cool, so can anyone who fancy dances where one or is it something you get permission for, but its cool, I like it alot, My uncle told me It was George Alexander that I saw who wore that when I saw it when I was kid. sorry bout the confusion

Comment

Here's the link to GA's.

Fancy Feather - 2007 Red Earth - Pow Wow Photo Gallery - PowWows.com

Comment

He had a different one I think when I saw him, anyways thats awesome, Ill talk to my uncles, I would not mind one if I could get one, that is awesome, It seems like it would fit the style better to, just seems something more a fancy dancer would were, its awesome, thanks Iowa Boy for sharing, brought back some good memories from when I was a kid

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa_Boy View Post

So, who's gonna make one for this year? Lostsalt?
              I'm game, Got some extra supplies.
              You got some info on how to rig it up?
              IT appears they have the roach sitting inside them.
              "Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is." JW

Comment

Originally posted by lostsalt View Post
                I'm game, Got some extra supplies.
                You got some info on how to rig it up?
                IT appears they have the roach sitting inside them.
                No roach on the inside, but the base of it is the spreader, they are built together, it is one thing. I've stuck my head inside of several of these, I'll dig out some more pics tomorrow.

Comment

Here's a pic of a different one of GA

iicot06 - Pow Wow Photo Gallery - PowWows.com

Comment

Here's another feather crest!

bellpww - Pow Wow Photo Gallery - PowWows.com

Comment

hmmm...My Honey Dances fancy, I wonder if he's game to try this? i've seen them when i'm out traveling around. however...how would you put that together? If someone could post a few pointers....it sounds like something i'd want him to try....
                      Are you taking me to sizzler??

Comment

Here's Poncho Brady at UND 2007.
                        Attached Files

Comment

I got a close look at some ol' skool feathered crests. One belonging to Garland Kent Sr. and one belonging to Dixon Palmer. Both of theirs were a lot taller and bigger than today's retro imitations.

It must have taken a lot of skill to balance them during a fast song.
                          Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

So, we see all these pictures, but does anyone know how to make one, seems like this would be to make some kind of tutorial of some sort, some kind of instructions would be awesome

Comment

Here's a pic of Dennis Begay (Navajo), rocking the feather crest. He lives somewhere around Dallas, Texas. I believe it's his original one. He still dances the old style fancy with old style regalia. He learned the dance style from dancing w/Dixon & Gus Palmer. Kinda of a fuzzy pic, but you get the idea.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by chipster; 02-26-2009, 11:37 AM.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X